The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

11.9c here at bang on midnight.

Currently 4.4c

Dp 0.2c

N/N/W ave 11.2mph

Gusting 27mph.

Yes same here Will, From 6am tomorrow mod/heavy snow all night, I expect it will change. But hopefully not  :)

nmmuk-1-36-0.png?02-06nmmuk-1-35-0.png?02-06

jusst woken up and i must say didnt expect the nmm charts to look that good!! Yesterday there was no signal of snow at all on that model!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

jusst woken up and i must say didnt expect the nmm charts to look that good!! Yesterday there was no signal of snow at all on that model!!

Very high ground based only though so for 99% of us, plain old rain sadly. Not going to even bother checking on this one from here on in. If it snows it will be an amazing surprise but very unlikely sadly.

Posted

Indeed, if Boxing day could only offer what it did, then this will be near impossible to get anything out of. The set up is a lot less favourable than it was on Boxing Day.

However, it didn't take long for the lovely blue skies to return this week...so I will enjoy today first!

Posted

No chance of anything snowy this far south I'd say. MetO forecast going for 4C for tomorrow morning. Sunday looking chilly with a max of 3C forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

No chance of anything snowy this far south I'd say. MetO forecast going for 4C for tomorrow morning. Sunday looking chilly with a max of 3C forecast.

I agree PICOG, but we may strike it lucky....... :nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono: .

I see lowland areas further north are now reporting snow and hail, so the cold air may be digging in a bit more than forcast.

My temp fell here this morning from 7.0C to 6.3C about 10:30. It has now gon back up to 6.9C with the sun out. looks to warm but one never knows.

It looks as though the higher reaches  of the Pennines may be lucky again.

MIA

Posted

I agree PICOG, but we may strike it lucky....... :nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono: .

I see lowland areas further north are now reporting snow and hail, so the cold air may be digging in a bit more than forcast.

My temp fell here this morning from 7.0C to 6.3C about 10:30. It has now gon back up to 6.9C with the sun out. looks to warm but one never knows.

It looks as though the higher reaches  of the Pennines may be lucky again.

MIA

You could be right MIA about getting lucky. The local BBC Midlands forecast certainly had some transient snow for the south and west Midlands, and some more serious snow for the north Midlands.

I have noticed that the temps for here on Sat and Sun are consistently being revised downwards. Always nice to see.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Already had some sharp hail/sleet showers here today, Still very blustery from the N/W.

Temp currently 5.8c

Dp 0.2c

WC 2.3c

Posted

Chances of snow tomorrow?? Slim?? None at all??

I think we are too far south and west for anything of great interest. We may get some fleeting snow during the early hours, around 4-5am, but you never know ...

Posted

I think we are too far south and west for anything of great interest. We may get some fleeting snow during the early hours, around 4-5am, but you never know ...

PICOG,

This is getting more interesting by the minute. (literally). At 17:00 the temp was 4.9C, 20 minutes later (now) it has fallen to 4.2C.

But my dew point has fallen even more quickly and is at -2.0C (from 3.2C at 15:00). So maybe, just keep everything crossed.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Chances of snow tomorrow?? Slim?? None at all??

How much Straw Clutching do want to be doing, help yourself Matty lol!

post-11006-0-70216600-1420219428_thumb.j

Tops of the hills in the North Midlands :(

Posted

How much Straw Clutching do want to be doing, help yourself Matty lol!

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Tops of the hills in the North Midlands :(

DWW,

Is the lorry heading South?   LOL

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

PICOG,

This is getting more interesting by the minute. (literally). At 17:00 the temp was 4.9C, 20 minutes later (now) it has fallen to 4.2C.

But my dew point has fallen even more quickly and is at -2.0C (from 3.2C at 15:00). So maybe, just keep everything crossed.

MIA ..................bit weird that!!! mine hasn't been above 0c all day, have no way of showing any data but DP on Meteociel will give you some idea http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=uk 'Just click animation'

Is the lorry heading South? lol! South bound M42-M1-M40

Posted

I've got a horrible feeling this winter is going to be crap

Zonality for the next couple of weeks.

It doesn't look good!

I've got a horrible feeling, Hate saying this..... Your properly wright :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Really annoying tonight is because if it was that bit colder the track of the low would pretty much be perfect. Another kick in the teeth for us Midlanders.

• Like 1

Posted

Really annoying tonight is because if it was that bit colder the track of the low would pretty much be perfect. Another kick in the teeth for us Midlanders.

I've got a horrible feeling, Hate saying this..... Your properly wright ....ALL WE CAN DO IS HOPE .... now where are them straws :whistling:

Posted

PICOG,

MIA ..................bit weird that!!! mine hasn't been above 0c all day, have no way of showing any data but DP on Meteociel will give you some idea http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php?region=uk 'Just click animation'

Is the lorry heading South? lol! South bound M42-M1-M40

DWW

I WAS very surprised by the dew  point reading. I think it is calculated rather than actual.

I too think/thought  my recording app was faulty, but it hasn't given a  problem  before.

It is being calculated from the Temperature (now at 4.0C) and the relative humidity, which has been varying between 64- 66%.

When the Rel Humidity  was 64% the dewpoint was -2.0C (dryer air!), and at 66% it was -1.6^C, which it is now.

Have you got the calculation of dew point from Rel Hum and temperature?   

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Thank you Daniel,

I have tried it with the figures as below -

4.0C   --       66%     -----     -2C DP (rounded)

8.0C   --       66%     -----     2C DP (rounded)

So it looks as though it was a genuine reading.

But I agree it is very strange.

MIA

Posted

Still positive signs.

Temperature down to 3.0C now. Dew point still at -1.9C Rel Humidity increasing steadily (now 70%)

Dropped 2C in 1.75 hrs.

Just watched Nat Weather on BBC1 and he mentioned Wales and the Midlands for some snow. Obviously  mainly for high ground, but the chart showed splodges of white all over the Midlands tomorrow morning

Be interested to see what the Local forecast gives at  6:55, but they work on MO charts from about 14:00 so may not have picked the the risk up yet!

Still not over, but the chances have gone up from 2% to 20% this afternoon. 

MIA

Edit - Just watched it and the chances are increasing further particularly for north of Bham.

She mentioned wintry showers later overnight for the whole of the MIds, but  said that the warmer air south of the low may make it up as far as Bham. So any in the south will be very temporary.

She compared it to last friday's low.

Odds up to 40% now.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

BOOM let's all believe heavy snow on its way !!

YES if we ALL believe!!!!!! Cmon
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Evening

Hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

Temperature here at the moment 2.9c with a DP of -1c,i monitor Manchester Airport TAF in these situations 

Boxing day was spot on with the snow,however upon checking 10 mins ago it was showing rain

However you never know in these marginal situations

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Coming back from Darley Moor (300m) to solihull (?) in the morning. If we get snow up here overnight I will NOT be wanting to go home unless it's a solihull snowfest! (Anyone know how high asl Birmingham airport is lol)