Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

As bad as it would be it would actually be nice to live thru something like this just once.... the blizzards and winds and drifts would be something.

that would be rain for low levels, you would see snowfest mind you,

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

GFS(P) STILL GOING FOR THE SUPER STORM COME THE 15TH OF THIS MONTH..... SHOWING INLAND GUST OF 90MPH PLUS  :shok: :shok: :shok:

post-9615-0-52695600-1420571822.png

• Like 1

Posted

Meanwhile, in Santorini, Greece earlier today:

B6snUONIgAAU6fV.jpg

Anyone else feeling more than a little bit jealous?  :angry:

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Meanwhile, in Santorini, Greece earlier today:

B6snUONIgAAU6fV.jpg

Anyone else feeling more than a little bit jealous?  :angry:

Bish

Heavy rain now and temps up to mid teens by the weekend so I would rather be here.... and from what Fergieweather posted earlier things look like they could get interesting 3rd week of Jan onwards....interesting times ahead for us I feel more snow chances for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Gfs pub run again dangles its carrot in front of us again. cant post charts cuz on phone. But it has some real eye candy in fi will it verify that is the question. Also shows two or three nasty storms especially for the 15th if that ever verified it would blow the midlands away so i hope in that aspect it downgrades the deep lows.

• Like 1

Posted

Although frosty overnight, temp has now risen to 3.8C.

Hopefully rain will stay away for as long as poss so that the dog and me don't get too wet and mucky — she hates the rain more than me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

picog.

Similar here. Temp now up to 5.8C

Not sure about a frost overnight here as I forgot to reset my min last night!!

I know it was 2.4 at midnight though.

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cool day here and windy with cloud/rain rolling in, Winds should pick up to.. A low of 2.2c

Currently

Temp 2.2c

WH -0.2c

Wind West 23mph

Rain 0.0mm

Posted

picog.

Similar here. Temp now up to 5.8C

Not sure about a frost overnight here as I forgot to reset my min last night!!

I know it was 2.4 at midnight though.

MIA

MIA, we went down below freezing by 7pm yesterday eve and stayed there, more or less, until 6am this morning. Currently damp and chilly in the wind, most unpleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Heavy rain now and temps up to mid teens by the weekend so I would rather be here.... and from what Fergieweather posted earlier things look like they could get interesting 3rd week of Jan onwards....interesting times ahead for us I feel more snow chances for many.

Hi, what did Fergieweather post earlier ? I'm going to post in this thread from now on. Feel more at home .

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Picog,

Went out at 9:30 this morning.

Silly me, I believed the dry til 16:00 BBC forecasts!!!

It started raining here at 9:45 and carried on until 12:45, with 7.6mm of rain and very strong winds together with a temperature around 6c it felt extremely cold.. I got absolutely drenched. Still according to the BBC its been another mild day!!

More rain forecast this evening. (I bet we have none!)

Temperature climbed steadily this afternoon and is now 8.1C

MIA .

Posted

Hasn't been as wet here MIA, although it felt very cold in the wind, real winter rawness. Had the odd blustery shower but nothing sustained. Dog and me were dry and happy!

Can hear wind in chimney this eve. Not looking forward to Friday eve at all.

Posted

Steady rain since half past seven this morning. Currently 8.1°C

Despite it being over a week into January, can you believe I actually had to capture a large hornet which had somehow found its way indoors last night? It was on its last legs from what I could tell, but nonetheless I would have expected them to have died off several weeks ago? Vicious looking thing as well.

Bish

Posted

Steady rain since half past seven this morning. Currently 8.1°C

Despite it being over a week into January, can you believe I actually had to capture a large hornet which had somehow found its way indoors last night? It was on its last legs from what I could tell, but nonetheless I would have expected them to have died off several weeks ago? Vicious looking thing as well.

Bish

Bish

Yep raining here now... was going to play golf , but after drenching yesterday not too sure.

My remarks I made yesterday (tongue in  cheek) turned out to be absolutely correct and totally opposite to the MO (BBC) forecast just 24 hrs ago.

Thus it rained all yesterday morming (it was supposed to be dryi. It was dry yesterday afternoon and all night til 7:30 this morning(the rain was supposed to spread in yesterday evening and clear by this morning). Oh well.. :nonono:  :nonono:  :sorry:  :sorry:  :diablo:

Oh yes temp is 7.4C and its still raining.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Don't be surprised to see some transient snowfalls next week, especially on higher ground and to lower ground on the backedge of fronts/at night. Should be a exciting week.

Posted

Don't be surprised to see some transient snowfalls next week, especially on higher ground and to lower ground on the backedge of fronts/at night. Should be a exciting week.

Indeed, at long last some interesting weather coming up. The past few weeks (bar Boxing Day) have been rather dull, in more ways than one.

How long did your snow stick around for, Radders?

Bish

Posted

Indeed, at long last some interesting weather coming up. The past few weeks (bar Boxing Day) have been rather dull, in more ways than one.

How long did your snow stick around for, Radders?

Bish

Hi Bish. 

Indeed, makes a change. I like active weather regardless of what time of year it is, so next week looks fun. 

Snow stuck around for a couple of days, although there were still signs of it and it was still covering side roads on the morning of NYE. 

Some good hoar frosts and very bitter mornings, all very wintry! How about yourself?

Posted

Some good hoar frosts and very bitter mornings, all very wintry! How about yourself?

We had about an hour or two of quite heavy snow on Boxing Day evening, which had just started to accumulate nicely when it abruptly turned to heavy rain instead!  :sorry:

Bish

Posted

Hi Bish. 

Indeed, makes a change. I like active weather regardless of what time of year it is, so next week looks fun. 

Snow stuck around for a couple of days, although there were still signs of it and it was still covering side roads on the morning of NYE. 

agree with you there, active weather gains my interest!

The snow stuck around here till the wednesday aswell before melting when the warm air pushed in

Hopefully our area can get lucky next week, maybe a touch too far South but will be exciting nonetheless

Posted

We had about an hour or two of quite heavy snow on Boxing Day evening, which had just started to accumulate nicely when it abruptly turned to heavy rain instead!  :sorry:

Bish

Bad luck Bish, here's hoping for better in the coming weeks. Feb/March tend to be better for us than Dec/Jan!

agree with you there, active weather gains my interest!

The snow stuck around here till the wednesday aswell before melting when the warm air pushed in

Hopefully our area can get lucky next week, maybe a touch too far South but will be exciting nonetheless

Indeed, we need to hope things keep moving south in the next few weeks. Interestingly enough here's a snippet of a Steve Murr post in the MOD thread tonight..

Evening All-

Well it has seemed like an eternity, however in reality its only been 8 days of Jan with pretty dire model outlooks unless your a ski hut on the top of Glencoe....

Some light though is now appearing in the sodden tunnel, although if your in the south it is a long long tunnel to tread through-

however whats developing is what I would call 'Classic' UK synoptics whereby we have polar air engaging with atlantic air & along the boundary there can be snow. Infact, in the models I would hazard a guess that similarly to last year the Scottish highlands are going to get very deep snow- a pity then the resorts will be stormbound.

So, when I see these classic patterns that bring rain & snow I know straight away the South is out of the game, however IMBY aside its proper North West Midlands, Derby Peaks, Welsh hills & Pennines type snow events coming along, with the peppering of Wintry & snow showers effecting NI & the NW as well as Scotland.

The GFS shows a very high chance of these scenarios evolving - at 150 -

http://modeles.meteo...fs-0-150.png?12

Quasi stationary low east of Iceland filtering in Sub -6c air across the NE atlantic engaging with shallow systems driven east by the jet. At 150 track dependent is a snow event in the making, more especially at elevation past 200 M- where the WBFL will be around or below 0c.

THicknesses around 1290 DAM will need elevation support

http://expert-images...011418_0812.gif

:cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Rain started here and some pretty good gusts from time to time.

Bish, we had a couple of very large wasps/hornets here a week or so ago. Like yours ours were on their last legs. I think we have had about half a dozen this winter. Never had them before.

Edited by picog
  • Like 1

Posted

Bad luck Bish, here's hoping for better in the coming weeks. Feb/March tend to be better for us than Dec/Jan!

Indeed, we need to hope things keep moving south in the next few weeks. Interestingly enough here's a snippet of a Steve Murr post in the MOD thread tonight..

Evening All-

Well it has seemed like an eternity, however in reality its only been 8 days of Jan with pretty dire model outlooks unless your a ski hut on the top of Glencoe....

Some light though is now appearing in the sodden tunnel, although if your in the south it is a long long tunnel to tread through-

however whats developing is what I would call 'Classic' UK synoptics whereby we have polar air engaging with atlantic air & along the boundary there can be snow. Infact, in the models I would hazard a guess that similarly to last year the Scottish highlands are going to get very deep snow- a pity then the resorts will be stormbound.

So, when I see these classic patterns that bring rain & snow I know straight away the South is out of the game, however IMBY aside its proper North West Midlands, Derby Peaks, Welsh hills & Pennines type snow events coming along, with the peppering of Wintry & snow showers effecting NI & the NW as well as Scotland.

The GFS shows a very high chance of these scenarios evolving - at 150 -

http://modeles.meteo...fs-0-150.png?12

Quasi stationary low east of Iceland filtering in Sub -6c air across the NE atlantic engaging with shallow systems driven east by the jet. At 150 track dependent is a snow event in the making, more especially at elevation past 200 M- where the WBFL will be around or below 0c.

THicknesses around 1290 DAM will need elevation support

http://expert-images...011418_0812.gif

:cold:

yeah I read that, hoping he meant to put a comma after proper to read proper, North west Midlands instead of proper North west Midlands meaning the very NW of the region, still we should hope to see a slight SE alignment for us and we should have a preety exciting week up ahead

Posted

Relatively calm here now, temp 8.9C.

Not quite sure how we would all get on in wind speeds that the Scots endured last night. Unfortunately we might find out since there appears to be a similar storm lined up for next week (15 Jan) which hits central England.

• Like 1