Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A good 5" here too and snowing lightly.

post-1989-0-21157300-1425372210.txt

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Posted

I'm afraid the met office used up their budget for snow warnings and snow graphics when there was a couple of snow flurries forecast for se engerrland in mid February.never mind come mid December there will b plenty again (only to be taken away 12 hours later) lovely morning here 10cm snow 0.0c

What a ridiculous thing to say

• Like 4

Posted

5-6 inches and sustained heavy snow. Has been a far from disappointing winter for this area, if anything it's been average, which means plenty snow :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

You know, for us sitting here in the NE basking in the sun under blue skies yet again it's kind of surreal to hear and read the reports of snow on here and on the radio traffic reports. Only slight consolation is that it was -1.8C this morning at 8am, so another air frost even if there wasn't really any evidence of it on the ground.

I'd love to see the actual stats for this area but my feeling it that this winter has been cool but never really overly cold, sunnier than average and drier than average. Better than last year's rainfest by a long way but not one that will be remembered in these parts.

Forecast high of 13/14C on Saturday for here is going to feel quite strange, and may kill off the eastern ski resorts for the season.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

About 1 cm this morning in Grangemouth but already melted in areas exposed to the sun. I expect the more organised band this afternoon to be rain or sleet at lower levels as the freezing level is supposed to rise

• Like 1

Posted

Obviously most snow here since March 2013 although melting now. Still incredible to see (and not bad to say snow lying each of the last 4 months) Not bad at all that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

2-3 inches here in Stirling. Lovely big flakes at times, roads are pretty clear though.

Snowing again now but sleet/rain is forecast later so enjoy the beauty while it lasts :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

2-3inches when i woke this morning. Sun is certainly out though and doing some damage now to that. 2C here. Beautiful out in it though. :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

What a ridiculous thing to say

i apologise if i caused any offence pure tounge in cheek comment with so much snow about this morning I'm definitely on a snow high like a lot of people in here this morning
  • Like 3

Posted

Just in from walking the dug and met a chap who came through the valley via Fintry and reports over a foot of snaw, might have to take a drive later.

• Like 1

Posted

It's back to a mix of sleet and rain and last night's snow just about gone (just like yesterday really although showers still packing a punch) epic few days though it's been

• Like 3

Posted

It's back to a mix of sleet and rain and last night's snow just about gone (just like yesterday really although showers still packing a punch) epic few days though it's been

Not here, full on snaw again, and filling the foot prints.

1898164_10205373353800992_17637652997049

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 4

Posted

MET O up to 6pm for Strathclyde:

Heavy wintry showers will continue to affect Scotland today. While they will turn more to sleet or even rain at lower levels, they will remain as snow on high ground. Above around 250 m another 1-3 cm is likely, though tending to melt between showers, while on ground above 400 m, another 5-8 cm may accumulate. Some temporary slushy accumulations are possible to low levels in the heaviest of the showers which will be accompanied by hail. The public should be aware of the risk of difficult driving conditions and the possibility of some localised minor disruption.

Looks like a gloom fest till 6pm for lower levels, hopefully pep up again after dark.

• Like 1

Some good reports and pics. Here in Crail nothing as impressive but we do have a slight cover on grassy surfaces. Nothing measurable but the first dusting in 2 years. I'd take a photo but you'd only laugh. ;-)

Overnight min -0.5c.

I'd be jealous of your dusting Hawesy, nowt here after that ten minute snow shower yesterday didn't even bother to gather on the ground. It's been pretty rubbish this winter for those of us this far east. Ravelin, you can find the stats you need here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

Although I do prefer the maps as they show local variations very well:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

The Met-O might not be the most fantastic at weather warnings, but this part of their website is top notch.

If you follow the second link and scroll down under the heading "Period" it gives you maps for the seasons as well as single months. The maps for Winter 2015 tell a story of a massively westerly dominated winter. It couldn't be more textbook.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

1 - 3 inches in places this morning depending on where you measured. Much more than I expected. If that's it for the winter then a great way to end it - although the optimist in me is holding on for something later today ;-) Currently snowing fairly heavily in Dunfermline where I'm working today but I was surprised that there was very little lying snow here when I arrived.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Ended up with 8" of level snaw here!

just spent a big chunk of the morning digging the cars oot the drive (fkn knackered noo!!!)

Local farmer cleared the road a bit with his Big Tractor and snaw plough.

Got intae work aboot 11.20 am

Big impressed wi that snawfa Innes

Oh aye!

nae snaw here in this part o' west Lothian

So it makes you look like you are telling porkies aboot a' the snaw back hame eh!

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 5

Posted

i apologise if i caused any offence pure tounge in cheek comment with so much snow about this morning I'm definitely on a snow high like a lot of people in here this morning

Och you're grand biggrey, if we were to start policing comments that joked about the met office warnings being southern centric/over the top at times, then the kilted would be a quieter, less cynical, less funny, less informative place ;)

Snows stopped, more showers on the way, but the sun is oot and it's rather glorious for now. Had a nice wee jaunt behind the hoose

post-12555-0-96227300-1425386728_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted

Got to say that was the best snow fall I've seen for a while in the port this morning - probably since the 80s to be honest, although I know there was one that matched it in 2011 I wasn't there - great last breath of winter though!

Will give winter this year an 8/10 considering 10/10 would be as best as we usually get (2010/11 style) not a snowmaggedon that probably happens once every 100 years.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ravelin, you can find the stats you need here:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/datasets

Although I do prefer the maps as they show local variations very well:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

The Met-O might not be the most fantastic at weather warnings, but this part of their website is top notch.

If you follow the second link and scroll down under the heading "Period" it gives you maps for the seasons as well as single months. The maps for Winter 2015 tell a story of a massively westerly dominated winter. It couldn't be more textbook.

Thanks Catch, I knew I'd seen those maps somewhere but hadn't had the time to go search them out again. Confirms what I thought for here. Overall the temperature has been about average this winter compared to the 1981-2010 period. Rainfall was around average for Jan but way below average for Dec & Feb. Sunshine duration was >170% for Dec & Jan and a mere 130-150% for Feb, compared to the average.