Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Don't say that, I've just taken the roof box back off the car. Chances of getting over to the West again are virtually nil and the Eastern centres looked to have suffered badly from the mild spell. Other than catching the crosswinds and making the car easy to spot in a car park the roof box was serving no purpose.

Showers moving through here too now, annoyingly keeping me indoors. Temp 6.5C.

Roofboxes are evil, they increase your fuel consumption by anything from 10% to 25% depending on shape. I have one that I use sometimes when we're going on hols - it's a real love/hate thing. Without it I couldn't take the kitchen sink though, so it has to go...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin Kilties! Well, that's the wind starting to pick up a wee bit now and I heard something go clunk in the garden. Stuff starting to get flung about already! Ferries being cancelled left, right and centre....so, a normal day ahead of us! I'd best check what else Himself has left lying around the garden later on. Batteries are all charged up, and I've already organised oor tea in case power goes off. Catch y'all later!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Windy Wilson is saying Wednesday is to be awful, is he right?

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

It's snowing down to 1000ft on the Rannoch. Good news for the ski centres after the washout of a weekend. We have decided to book up for Austria to ski, as the Scottish weather has been so p#sh this year. Mainly the wind ,and our last ski trip was a washout and gale.

High pressure at the end of the week, will bring good news to the Scottish ski centres. Although Glenshee has had a devastating year. :fool:

Posted

Little unexpected I admit but rain seems sleety here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Glenogle traffic cam very snowy, as is Drummochter. Rest pretty clear though a bit in fields at Granton.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Windy Wilson is saying Wednesday is to be awful, is he right?

wet and windy, in the afternoon for SE, but think most of Scotland will be waiting to get through the gales tonight first

• Like 2

Posted

Very stormy looking skies this morning with what I think you call mammatus cloud formations. Wind is really getting up now and currently 4.5c so it feels very cold out there roll on high pressure and calm days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's snowing down to 1000ft on the Rannoch. Good news for the ski centres after the washout of a weekend. We have decided to book up for Austria to ski, as the Scottish weather has been so p#sh this year. Mainly the wind ,and our last ski trip was a washout and gale.

High pressure at the end of the week, will bring good news to the Scottish ski centres. Although Glenshee has had a devastating year. :fool:

I've not been to Glenshee this year, just one windy day at the Lecht & 1.5 half-decent days at Nevis. Not a great 'haul' at all this year for skiing in Scotland. Glad we went to France over the New Year, despite the expense (and losing a day cos of snow-induced traffic chaos) as even though the conditions were not great by their standards, when you are used to skiing in Scotland there were fantastic by comparison. We'll need to see if we can afford to do it again this year but it's very tempting, it's just the being restricted to Xmas/New Year or Easter that's the problem.

HC, being strapped to the roof of a 4x4 Outlander I can't say I noticed the effect of the roofbox on fuel economy.

Back on topic, started off cool and cloudy here earlier. Now it's raining lightly in a fairly stiff breeze. Recyclables bin collection tomorrow....I think I'll be putting it out in the morning, not this evening as I usually do.

Posted

Glenshee has never opened Glas Maol this year Ravelin. That's how bad their snow has been. Even some talk of the season ending this weekend at the Shee. However the forecast I saw for the week looks like they might last until April. Problem is , unlike Nevis and the Coe. Glenshee didn't manage to build a base on the access runs!

This weekend could be a beauty for the Coe and Nevis though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Glenshee has never opened Glas Maol this year Ravelin. That's how bad their snow has been. Even some talk of the season ending this weekend at the Shee. However the forecast I saw for the week looks like they might last until April. Problem is , unlike Nevis and the Coe. Glenshee didn't manage to build a base on the access runs!

This weekend could be a beauty for the Coe and Nevis though.

Ironically it did open for one day last week, the day before the big thaw.

With current forecasts it doesn't look good there for the future though there is a cosmetic covering today. May be able to move some snow around to keep a couple of runs and access open.

Posted

Complete turn round from this morning except for the ferocious wind gusts.Bright sun and blue skies and currently 10c

The lack of any north or east winds this winter means our winter along with Glenshee has been pretty snowless. However there is still time for a switch round as the frequency of N and E winds is usually much higher in the spring

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Looking wild up the Cairngorm early'er today.. A rough night ahead for the N/W, Stay safe..

WindSpeed.gif

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Bring back winter ...this spring is even worse than :nonono:  the worst winter day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Oooff, what a bloomin miserable day.

Blinking freezing this morning ....only 2 c on the way into town at 10.30 and passed cars with snow on them co in from upper Helensburgh!!

Heavy rain has been the order of the day and now very gusty winds ......and surprise!? Our trains are off as usual.

Take care peeps further North....hope you all keep safe.

Posted

Wind is now much more sustained and you can see the Firth being churned up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Well what can I say.  It has been almost constant hoolie since I came home tonight and some of the gusts are ferocious, my wood burner is lighting up very time there is a strong gust.  If this goes on all night i think I may wake up in Oz or at least without a roof...Toto I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Already beginning to get very gusty here, just under 60mph at the moment. Track of the storm looks like it could well deliver some pretty gusty weather here again, as has been the theme this winter. 

Posted

Wind is now much more sustained and you can see the Firth being churned up.

Ground has dried considerably this afternoon and I was just wondering when the first sandstorms of the season would breakout and  Mrs Northernlights has just told me that the fields outside Forres were beginning to blow at 5.00pm when she passed. so we have the extremes of the NW of Scotland flooded and over here drought conditions beginning to bite. Currently5.9c and very windy

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Wind is really roaring round the house now Woods round here could be decimated tomorrow as a lot of trees have already been loosened by this winter and lasts non stop wind. Severe drafts coming up through the floorboards tonight. I know we are right in the firing line tonight but I am probably one of very few who can hear the ferocity of the wind as we have only single glazing in the old farmhouse.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Hurricane force winds gusting 120mph are currently battering the Nevis Ski Range.

• Like 2