Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Are there any warnings for wind tonight? Its gusting to around 70mph here just now.

Mild though at 8.9C.

Flood warnings for the Spey and Tay now as snow melts and rain falls in the more Western catchment areas. Alerts in quite a few other rivers esp NW.

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It was quite windy here most of the day but seems to have died right down now. Temperature currently sat at a balmy (or barmy) 10.3C.

Posted

Gusts over 100mph each of the last few hours at the Summit Run AWS on Aonach Mor (3710ft), peak there has been 112mph, just ahead of the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh (3600ft) which has peaked so far at 111mph. Bit to go to match the 143mph in January's back to back nights of big blows that took the roofs clean of 2 buildings and damaged 2 more at Glencoe Ski Area!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, what an interesting day that was, and the night wasn't much better! Lost some roof tiles, the lead at the base of the chimney has an interesting upwards curl and one of our downpipes is missing! We also had a power cut from about 10.30 till about 2.30 am. The rivers that were running through the garden yesterday have somewhat abated, but there's more on the way today. Wellies at the ready.....need to check and see if there's any other damage.

• Like 1

Posted

Hope there's no more damage Mistyqueen.

Overnight gales have died down a bit though the wind is still gusting to 50mph. Very mild, 10c here in Crail and 11c at Leuchars at 9am. Dry too, as you would expect in this kind of set up.

I reckon the A9 is shouting "Ye shall not pass !" at the rain ... 

Nice one :) It looks much like it did a couple of hours ago.

I was going to come into this thread this morning and make a smart erse comment about winter being over. I'm glad I checked the GFS out in FI before I did as winter would very much not be over according to the GFS 00z.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

The Netweather extra radar is already showing areas of over 200mm of rainfall in the Ness Catchment in past 24 hours... the Garry and Morriston are within 15cm of all time highs at gauging stations. If the River Ness maintains it's current rising trajectory through the predicted rainfall period then somewhere around 3.10m at the ness-side gauging station mid-day tomorrow looks possible and the River Ness tends to keep rising a good while after the rain stops falling due to the catchment dynamics. The all time high was 3.30 when the Ness Viaduct toppled into the harbour in February 1989.

Edited by skifreak

Posted

Don't know what the temp got up to but it's a breezy 14.8C right now. Felt pleasant stood watching the kids football this afternoon for a change.

Posted

Thoroughly despicable day, wet and windy. Not sure of the temp as stayed in doors for most of it, but was not warm when I walked the dug before lunch.

Still blowing and wet here.  :angry:

Posted

Still blawin' a Hoolie here, rain hasn't stopped all day. Thankfully tomorrow to be a bit drier before the wind and rain return on Monday. Typical spring blast before we get some sunshine.....I hope!

Posted

Made it to 14c this afternoon with just a few spits of rain but the wind has still not let up this evening.Lots of twigs and branches off again and more trees down in all the woods. I think this has been the worse winter for blown timber that I can remember for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Made it to 14c this afternoon with just a few spits of rain but the wind has still not let up this evening.Lots of twigs and branches off again and more trees down in all the woods. I think this has been the worse winter for blown timber that I can remember for a while.

I agree with the windiness in recent weeks.  We've been on the eastern edge of all the ppn in the last day  and it's been wet enough here, heaven knows what it must be like in places like Drum.  Also keep a look out for strong winds in the north on Monday night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The Netweather extra radar is already showing areas of over 200mm of rainfall in the Ness Catchment in past 24 hours... the Garry and Morriston are within 15cm of all time highs at gauging stations. If the River Ness maintains it's current rising trajectory through the predicted rainfall period then somewhere around 3.10m at the ness-side gauging station mid-day tomorrow looks possible and the River Ness tends to keep rising a good while after the rain stops falling due to the catchment dynamics. The all time high was 3.30 when the Ness Viaduct toppled into the harbour in February 1989.

The Beauly's at record high stage now. So's the Glass. Getting nasty.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

River Ness shortly after 10.30pm, not much bank left on Ness Bank, the water level is just about at the street level, as the pavement slopes up from the kerb:

post-4009-0-58150000-1425774249_thumb.jp 

It's going up about 6-7cm an hour at the Ness-side gauging station and if it keeps this up, then will pass the all time high sometime between 7 and 9am on Sunday morning. 

• Like 5

Posted

Mornin' peeps! Hey...it's actually not rainy up here! There's even some sunshine! I finally got my rain gauge working and I've had 53.9mm of rain in the last 24 hours. My friend down the road has had 173mm in the last two days. The road at Cluanie in blocked due to a tree now residing in the middle of it. Monday night looks like a replay of the last few days. Best get some batteries charged up then!

Posted

Calmer this morning and back to cool at 4c Blue skies filtering in from the NW

Posted

Loch Ness is now 4cm above it's highest level on record at the Fort Augustus end, it's a perfect blue sky morning in Inverness but the River Ness is going to continue to rise as that water works its way out of Loch Ness, indeed Loch Ness is still rising.

• Like 1

Posted

After some early rain the cloud has started to break up here, the sun is out, the wind has dropped right off and the birds are singing. Also, there are buds appearing on a lot of the bushes in the garden. 

Realy is a glorious morning. 

Posted

Calmer this morning and back to cool at 4c Blue skies filtering in from the NW

Some very sharp showers now temperature just fell from 7.5c to 3.7c with hail and a gusty wind so retreated to house. See snow falling on the ski centres again  so not a prolonged mild spell and possibly very windy later tomorrow. Really getting fed up with all the wind we are getting.

Posted

See snow falling on the ski centres again

Don't say that, I've just taken the roof box back off the car. Chances of getting over to the West again are virtually nil and the Eastern centres looked to have suffered badly from the mild spell. Other than catching the crosswinds and making the car easy to spot in a car park the roof box was serving no purpose.

Showers moving through here too now, annoyingly keeping me indoors. Temp 6.5C.

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Was up at Nevis Range this morning. The Goose runs were not too shabby with a wee dusting of powder on top from the overnight snow. The other runs were very patchy requiring some creative ski moves - picture a giraffe on rollerskates! It got very windy and it was heavy snow so hoping to get some in filling of those patches and restore the links. It was much better than expected given the deluge but given the conditions earlier last week it was like a different place. Just off to check out the Garry. So much water in the Great Glen now. River Spean looked totally amazing and a wee bit scary too..

Edited by snawbaw
  • Like 3