Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Tried to find eclipse glasses in the shops but no luck. Is it safe to view an eclipse through an iPad camera?

Currently quite cloudy although there were a few breaks in the cloud to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A lot of blue sky around this morning, but sun currently covered by a fairly thick sheet of cloud. Decent chance that we'll see something here, although it was better inland at home when I left and got cloudier the nearer I got to Dyce.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Perfectclear here. Aboujt 5 to 10 mins till the peak. Noticably darkening. Welders glass is braw for looking at it.

Posted

Saw glimpses of the eclipse, actually aided by the cloud. Best brief views were when just enough cloud covered the sun and aided by sunglasses you got a very good image of the eclipse. Got noticeably darker, but not as dark as I'd expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Saw glimpses of the eclipse, actually aided by the cloud. Best brief views were when just enough cloud covered the sun and aided by sunglasses you got a very good image of the eclipse. Got noticeably darker, but not as dark as I'd expected.

Got really gloomy here (north coast), pretty spooky and quiet. There was a break in the cloud for a few mins which allowed some good viewing.  Starting to wake up again now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Didn't see any of it here, too cloudy, but it got really quite dark.

Posted

Got really gloomy here (north coast), pretty spooky and quiet. There was a break in the cloud for a few mins which allowed some good viewing.  Starting to wake up again now...

Got very gloomy here too same view here through clouds and geese lifted off fields and headed back too sea shore. Cattle all started to ly down in  folds  much better than the last summer eclipse.post-2744-0-64004100-1426847009_thumb.jp   Very poor picture but you can just see edge of sun just pointed in the general  direction at waist height and hoped to get something.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

You really coouldnt make it up - lovely sunny skies now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Was clear blue skies for it here too - however i had no glasses! Didnt go as dark as i was expecting it to at all. Temperature plummeted though.

Edited by over_the_rainbow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Caught a glimpse of it myself through the clouds above Kelvingrove Park earlier. Cloud was too thick most of the time but cleared just enough to be able to see through a thinner patch at about 9.35ish, to which a loud cheer went up that it hadn't been a complete waste of time!

Like others I noticed it very dull and cold, but wasn't sure if that was the eclipse or just Glasgow being itself.

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Very enjoyable morning in the meteorology lab at the top of the JCMB building at the university. A telescope was set up that projected the image of the sun and moon onto a screen and there was a big sheet of protective film along the windows to look through as well as the same film attached to bits of paper with holes in them.

Was sunny up until 9.20 then it clouded over but still patches that were thin enough to see the sun through. From 8.50 until 11.00 I was taking temperature readings from the 2 sets of thermometers. While it was sunny the temperature rose from about 8.50 until 9.20 from about 9.4 to 9.7 which was a slightly lower than increase than you would expect in constant sunshine at that time of the day at this time of year. At 9.20 though it clouded over and it dropped to 9.0. A bit frustrating that it clouded over during that period because it's hard to tell how much of that drop was due to the cloud and how much due to the eclipse. However from about 10.00 to 10.20 the temperature rose again from 9.0 to 9.3 despite it staying cloudy. This was of course when more sun was appearing from behind the moon and since it was still cloudy, I think this increase was definitely due to the eclipse. At 10.20 the sun came out again and the temperature rocketed up quickly to 10.5 and only went up slightly after that.

The picture of the fields were close to the peak darkness and the brighter areas are where the sun was shining but was very dim compared to normal

post-18130-0-99741400-1426898948_thumb.j

post-18130-0-46543100-1426898964_thumb.j

post-18130-0-21439400-1426899022_thumb.j

post-18130-0-04286300-1426899073_thumb.j

post-18130-0-76778200-1426899087_thumb.j

post-18130-0-26037800-1426899104_thumb.j

post-18130-0-18283000-1426899118_thumb.j

post-18130-0-82171600-1426899133_thumb.j

post-18130-0-23420000-1426899152_thumb.j

post-18130-0-64692900-1426899165_thumb.j

post-18130-0-22137000-1426899177_thumb.j

post-18130-0-53606500-1426899238_thumb.j

Edited by GrangemouthBairn
  • Like 3

Posted

What a great site yesterday, and the misty passing cloud only made to better for viewing. Views we got from the garden.... (Glad I took a holiday  :D )

post-2849-0-55538400-1426924422_thumb.jp

post-2849-0-59789100-1426924424_thumb.jp

Glorious morning here again. Almost wall to wall blue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Fabulous day so far, sunny from the get go and warm too. The breeze that was there at 10am is now much lighter. Currently 9.8c but feeling much warmer with us all in t-shirts.

Sun is noticeable by its strength now. If I stayed out in it all dy I reckon I'd burn haha.

Funny how if it was this temperature on the 21st of September I'd be complaining how 'cool' it was, whereas, after a fairly coldish winter it feels positively tropical.

The midges are out in force already... Doesn't bode well for summer on that front :(

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Fabulous day so far, sunny from the get go and warm too. The breeze that was there at 10am is now much lighter. Currently 9.8c but feeling much warmer with us all in t-shirts.

Sun is noticeable by its strength now. If I stayed out in it all dy I reckon I'd burn haha.

Funny how if it was this temperature on the 21st of September I'd be complaining how 'cool' it was, whereas, after a fairly coldish winter it feels positively tropical.

The midges are out in force already... Doesn't bode well for summer on that front :(

Midges in March? Were you getting bitten??

Posted

Midges in March? Were you getting bitten??

No, I didn't. There were fairly noticeable but nothing compared to the height of summer obviously. We get loads of midges in summer so I'm not sure how unusual it is here for some to be out this early. They quickly went after 3pm or so once it started to cool.

Posted

Not had one for a while but a dawn to dusk sunny day today

• Like 1

Posted

Today is the complete opposite as so far there's been no sun although just trying to brighten up a little bit

Posted

No, I didn't. There were fairly noticeable but nothing compared to the height of summer obviously. We get loads of midges in summer so I'm not sure how unusual it is here for some to be out this early. They quickly went after 3pm or so once it started to cool.

Maybe they weren't the proper Highland Midge then if they weren't trying to suck the life out of you.  There are other midge species that emerge earlier - I've seen small clouds of various sorts on warmer days recently, and they weren't interested in my blood, just swarming round each other, probably trying to manoever for a quick shag.

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe they weren't the proper Highland Midge then if they weren't trying to suck the life out of you.  There are other midge species that emerge earlier - I've seen small clouds of various sorts on warmer days recently, and they weren't interested in my blood, just swarming round each other, probably trying to manoever for a quick shag.

Yeah, they weren't as big too.

Started off cloudy then turned really sunny from 10 until 12. Very sunny all Day in Carlisle but cloudy upon my return.

In the sun it was 10.4c and feeling quite warm, now it's a cool feeling 8.8c. Only 1.6c difference but feels more like a drop of 5c

Posted

Fine day with just a few light showers and some sunny periods  with stunning blue skies.Got colder all day with a shower just just before dusk giving a dusting to the tops of the Cawdor hills at about 1500 feet. Currently 2c with a ground frost.

• Like 2

Posted

Fine day with just a few light showers and some sunny periods  with stunning blue skies.Got colder all day with a shower just just before dusk giving a dusting to the tops of the Cawdor hills at about 1500 feet. Currently 2c with a ground frost.

Could have written exactly the same! Temp just dropped below 2C here and a frost on the grass.

• Like 1

Posted

Overnight frost which is rapidly melting away in the sun, but the air temp was still -0.5C around half an hour ago.

Decent day yesterday and since I had the morning off I gave the grass the first cut of the year. It wasn't desperately needing it, just more tufty and ragged looking rather than too long. Here starts the treadmill of grass cutting for the next 6mths or more.