Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Anyone spot this in the World section? More snow in one day in Central Italy than Boston got in total in Jan / Feb. A new world record for snowfall in 24hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/31837823

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Anyone spot this in the World section? More snow in one day in Central Italy than Boston got in total in Jan / Feb. A new world record for snowfall in 24hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/31837823

Although the photos looked less convincing...

A decent enough day here apart from a squally hour or so late morning when some rain fell...

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Snow on the Ochills this morning...quite surprised. Off to Glencoe at the weekend for two days skiing. They had another 2-4 inches last night above the chair. :yahoo:

Posted

Smile of the day re offshore oil workers getting heavier... it's been suggested it's because their wallets are now included at the weighing... :D

Erm, nice day here though!

• Like 3

Posted

Fabulous day lifting neeps in sunshine no wind and under blue skies,currently  14c. What a difference 24 hours makes.

• Like 1

Posted

Fabulous day lifting neeps in sunshine no wind and under blue skies,currently  14c. What a difference 24 hours makes.

A bit of cloud moved in tonight and I thought it would stay frost free but  it has cleared and is now starry and -1c

Posted

Someone please explain to me why Edinburgh City Council currently have the pavement gritters out? Temp is +3c after being even higher overnight. No frost, no ice, no cold forecast, temp up to 8c today? Sure...even if there was a frost it wouldn't last much past 7am anyway! I suspect a case of 'use it or lose the budget'!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nevis Range looks super today.

10361464_651394134988512_671933570577590

• Like 9

Posted

Typical easterly gloom here, and we're likely to be stuck with it until Wednesday. Cool, overcast and dreich, 4.6c. At least the wind is light for now.

Posted

Real old fashioned February day -2c first thing and now cloudless  blue skies and sunshine with gentle SE breeze fantastic to be outside in.

Posted

Saw the sun briefly for about 10 seconds not that long ago. It's trying to break up the cloud a bit. Not very warm though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A pretty chilly week. Very very wet midweek.

Feeling colder than the 8.2c max would suggest, cloudy and cold with a breeze.

Roll on summer

Posted

Splendid day out on Cul Mor today - little wind, blue sky with variable haze.  Best hill day of the year so far:  post-4537-0-67298200-1426371022_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Posted

Super starry  night with Sirius looking splendid . Currently -2c with crunchy grass not a very mild March so far

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Don't know if it was sunny this afternoon or not because I was working from 2 to midnight but it there were some areas where the cloud was just beginning to break slightly. Now the cloud is non existent and it is clear across the sky. That has allowed the temperature to drop much lower than forecast. Currently -1.0C but it has dropped by 1C in the last hour

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted

Temporary break from the easterly wind allowed skies to clear last night. Min here was bang on 0c, -3c at Leuchars. Still some sunshine this morning, 5.5c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Apologies for absence - my big lovely laptop has died. All my groups my forums and my chats - my whole life lol - gone. Using a puddy wee borrowed one but am really gutted.

• Like 1

Posted

Real old fashioned February day -2c first thing and now cloudless  blue skies and sunshine with gentle SE breeze fantastic to be outside in.

Same again today but with the addition of a Red Admiral which landed on Mrs Northernlights washing. Cows are lying down in the neep field as the surface is so dry. sunning themselves .Its  been a long winter for them too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Cold night here last night as the temperature fell just below -8'C - had similar conditions to now occurred in December or January it would've been very cold indeed, possibly -15'C or thereabouts going by similar events in the past. 

Stunning day again here with wall to wall sunshine, barely any wind. Really uplifting seeing things slowly come back to life after a winter of strong winds and numerous transient snow events. 

• Like 3

Posted

Expected to see a little more sun today tbh. Fairly chilly at 7.8c with a nagging breeze.

Less cloudy than this morning (wouldn't be hard) but despite some blue sky the sun has yet to make any real appearance.

Some fields looking a bit greener but generally it's still a dirty brown/yellow, looking like a wasteland.

We should see a dramatic change in the next 2-4 weeks, with some slightly milder weather, rapid changes in daylight and stronger sunshine :)

• Like 2

Posted

On my favourite job of the year this afternoon stone picking with some help from young Mr.Northernlights friends. I agree with SW Saltire above the countryside is very drab with little sign of greenness. Its been a pretty hard winter with all the  severe rain/ wind and  bare frosts with only deep snow lacking which would have protected plants from the fore mentioned . Currently 3c.

• Like 2

Posted

On my favourite job of the year this afternoon stone picking with some help from young Mr.Northernlights friends. I agree with SW Saltire above the countryside is very drab with little sign of greenness. Its been a pretty hard winter with all the  severe rain/ wind and  bare frosts with only deep snow lacking which would have protected plants from the fore mentioned . Currently 3c.

That time of year again already. I had the joy of stone picking plus raking conifer debris off the veg patch.  All that after an excellent cycle ride - 1st butterfly of the year and this one was a Small Tortoiseshell. A frosty start and finish but wall-to-wall sunshine in between.  Eeee... looks cloudier and crappier for the week though...

• Like 2

Posted

On my favourite job of the year this afternoon stone picking with some help from young Mr.Northernlights friends. I agree with SW Saltire above the countryside is very drab with little sign of greenness. Its been a pretty hard winter with all the severe rain/ wind and bare frosts with only deep snow lacking which would have protected plants from the fore mentioned . Currently 3c.

Yeah, temperatures have certainly felt persistently 'cool'. Not always on the thermometer but quite often cloudy and cool. Though, we did get some noticeable sun in February but since then very little.

We got the snow which did provide some greeness actually when it turned milder but since then it's turned colder or certainly less sun and fairly heavy rain at times, usually windy to boot.

I'm quite happy tbh. March 2012 beautiful - very very bad summer.

April 2011 - approaching 'hot' even in April. Poorish summer.

Great July's in 2013 & 2014 so I hope a repeat is down the line. Wishful thinking perhaps but I certainly don't like extensive high pressure situated in a great 'July' position in March or in October... Get the rubbish away now so hopefully we see a lifting of the jet stream and an encroachment of the Azores high, perhaps even a displacement here if we cross our fingers :)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

Great pics Ross. I was also in the back corries on Sunday. The missus was doubting me when I said the Braveheart was due to spin. A great days skiing, although we took the easy entrance from just above Yellow Belly. As the cornices were ridiculous and the entry too firm for hero jumping!

The Goose at the end of the day was fantastic as well after the racers had churned it up for us!