Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wind is really roaring round the house now Woods round here could be decimated tomorrow as a lot of trees have already been loosened by this winter and lasts non stop wind. Severe drafts coming up through the floorboards tonight. I know we are right in the firing line tonight but I am probably one of very few who can hear the ferocity of the wind as we have only single glazing in the old farmhouse.

Fearsome gusts here too.  Youngest HC just came downstairs saying he could hear the roof moving!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

134 mph reported at Glencoe earlier. Max here 72 mph but must have been higher at the Taybridge as fully closed to all vehicles. Needs 80 plus for that.

Posted

Unfortunately no power at Glencoe since just after 7pm, so no data from the automatic weather stations. Access Chair drive has been powered up a couple of times to see what speed the chair anemometer was getting (see above). The Ski Centre Cafe has been full all evening with people police had ferried up from overturned vehicles including a holiday coach on Rannoch Moor, they've now been ferried down to Glencoe village and Fort William by taxis and people carriers. A coach was arranged to pick people up but by then the A82 was closed to high sided vehicles, a couple of bashed up cars reached the carpark, one I believe recovered from a ditch having been blown off the A82.  Stones were drifting across the Carpark at one point!  :cc_confused:

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

winds from last night S.Uist top gust 89mph

skye 83mph, lerwick 79, kirkwall 78

max mean winds S.Uist 62mph also at storm force Stornoway airport 55mph

severe gale Kirkwall 54mph and tiree/lerwick 53mph

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well there was a tree floating down the river through centre of Inverness today. Make of that what you will!

• Like 1

Posted

Well there was a tree floating down the river through centre of Inverness today. Make of that what you will!

Perhaps it was looking for a lava-tree? :whistling:

Posted

Perhaps it was looking for a lava-tree? :whistling:

The local burn next to the conifer plantation to the south of the farm  that was clear felled in the autumn was lined  with deciduous trees but one by one they have been felled by this winters winds especially last nights storm and are now lying across the burn at all angles leading to dams in places.They had lost the protection of the conifers and the conifer wood to the east which was thinned at the same time has lost more trees last night.

Another observation is the number of badgers we are seeing at dusk now that the conifers round the four sets on the burn bank have been felled.Their roadways are everywhere ,I fear for the ground nesting birds and small mammals at ground level as soon  will be none left. There are even badgers visiting the farmhouse garden at night. Currently clear  calm and frosty at 0c. A magnificent pine on  Moray Estates fell victim to  the storm  last night snapped like it was a match. On the plus side we had a wonderful sunny cool calm afternoon to do some outside jobs

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

The local burn next to the conifer plantation to the south of the farm  that was clear felled in the autumn was lined  with deciduous trees but one by one they have been felled by this winters winds especially last nights storm and are now lying across the burn at all angles leading to dams in places.They had lost the protection of the conifers and the conifer wood to the east which was thinned at the same time has lost more trees last night.

Another observation is the number of badgers we are seeing at dusk now that the conifers round the four sets on the burn bank have been felled.Their roadways are everywhere ,I fear for the ground nesting birds and small mammals at ground level as soon  will be none left. There are even badgers visiting the farmhouse garden at night. Currently clear  calm and frosty at 0c. A magnificent pine on  Moray Estates fell victim to  the storm  last night snapped like it was a match. On the plus side we had a wonderful sunny cool calm afternoon to do some outside jobs

There was less damage locally than I expected from last night - a few more limbs off trees but nothing major compared to January's storm.  I was out cycling late afternoon and there was barely a breeze... wonderful sunshine too :)

Lesser Celandine now flowering profusely in sunny ditches etc. so spring is on us - at least in the low-lying coastal parts of the Black Isle, before someone jumps down my throat :p .

Gardening duties are back on the agenda again; eek, what a mess from the neighbour's tree :wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted

Currently -4c at Edinburgh Airport. A full 6c lower than the local Met forecast! Almost as cold a night as we had all winter lol

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Coldest night for a while and a sunny, calm start although that won't last. Minimum of -2.2/-5.1C

• Like 1

Posted

Thought the rain wasn't due to a bit later..............but obviously not as it just started

Posted

Seems to me that we've got a better hope of seeing some northern blocking high pressure soon than we've had all winter. Both ECM & GFS have been playing with the idea on and off the last few days and now they're both building HP over Greenland in the 7-10 day range. After today's and tomorrows rinse and repeats, we've a quite period of weather coming up but then 'out like a lion' perhaps ?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So, lets see....Friday- gale force winds and horizontal rain. Saturday-gale force wind and horizontal rain. Sunday-light breeze and blue skies! :yahoo: Monday-storm/hurricane force winds and horizontal rain. Tuesday-clear blue skies and sunshine! :yahoo:  Wednesday-gale force winds and horizontal rain. Tomorrow....rinse and repeat. Gie us a break will ye? Need some calm, spring weather so we can get our roof tiles fixed!! The weekend looks good though!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

drenched walking the dog - only a nice day out there for peppa pig I would say.  :nea:

drenched walking the dog - only a nice day out there for peppa pig I would say.  :nea:

What a difference a few hours made today OTR. I had MrsC's dogs out at the woods before seven this morning. It was cold, frosty but sunny. A lovely winter's morning walk :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

What a difference a few hours made today OTR. I had MrsC's dogs out at the woods before seven this morning. It was cold, frosty but sunny. A lovely winter's morning walk :)

Yes was lovely first thing and then rapidly went downhill sadly. Not sure tomorrow will be an improvement!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Low of -1.7C. Cloud has come in and the temperature has risen quicker than it did yesterday

Low of -1.7C. Cloud has come in and the temperature has risen quicker than it did yesterday

I gained 10ºC in a couple of hours this morning. You'd never have thought there was a sharp frost here at half six if you'd only got up now. Heavy rain later on, the south of Scotland looks like getting a soaking along with the north for a change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Looks like, after a relatively dry and sunny winter, it's payback time over the next few days for us in the NE. With the winds switching to more of an easterly direction the forecast is cool, grey and miserable through to Monday at least. That would certainly be the description of the weather this morning so far.

Posted

Very very windy again today with some odd bursts of rain this morning. Absolutely exhausting working outside in it with dust flying everywhere.Temperature has climbed to 10c this afternoon after a cool start at 3c.

Posted

Looks like, after a relatively dry and sunny winter, it's payback time over the next few days for us in the NE. With the winds switching to more of an easterly direction the forecast is cool, grey and miserable through to Monday at least. That would certainly be the description of the weather this morning so far.

Yes it looks pretty grim. Easterlies are never welcome around here! That said we have had a mostly pleasant, sunny winter on the east coast and if we do have to put up with a few days of easterlies I would rather it was now than later on in Spring or early Summer.

Edited by Hawesy