Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi BA I wouldnt go that far out...

day 11 would be the earliest on the ECm type evolution

Whats the control saying 00z & 12z, both were very cold....

S

Steve , there is nothing in the pipe line at the moment that spells true cold maybe later but not yet :rofl:  :nonono:  :closedeyes:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

That's some long-draw southerly at T+216 on 12z ECM op, central Algeria to Norwegain Sea? Sahara dust anyone?

post-1052-0-81690200-1416518911_thumb.pn

Anyway, as Phil nw mentioned earlier, some quite large broadscale differences apparent upstream over North America between 12z GFS and ECM at day 8, there were between the 2 models from their 00z operationals too. ECM drops another arctic cold pool down across the mid-west Plains while GFS dumps the cold across the east. This appears to have a knock on effect downstream, albeit not great on the broadscale, but still makes the difference for the UK, of 12z op GFS pushing the troughs and ridges a little further east than 12z ECM.

12z NH GFS vs ECM ops + ENS mean:

post-1052-0-46576900-1416519682_thumb.jp

But despite these differences that are particularly notable upstream over NA, general large scale signal for Europe is that the Atlantic holding pattern looks set to continue for the foreseeable future and any cold pooling developing across W Russia and NE Europe kept annoyingly well out of reach ...

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A reminder to please include model output discussions when posting in here.

We keep having to move some posts over to the other thread here-

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81281-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-2014/

.so if your post has gone it's likely to be found in the model moans/ramps thread.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi BA I wouldnt go that far out...

day 11 would be the earliest on the ECm type evolution

Whats the control saying 00z & 12z, both were very cold....

S

The 00z control showed a strong euro trough but even that didn't advect cold as far as the uk with the flow changing from positive to negative uppers and nothing particularly cold. De bilt with bit lower uppers but mainly cold due to a loner source continental feed.

Tbf, the 12z control does advect the cold pool over scandi as far as the uk by the end if the run

Overall the 12z ECM extended ens are not great for coldies. the trough trending back to the west of Ireland and away from Europe

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

And the anomaly charts continue to show the trough as the main feature, not mild looking at the heights shown over the UK but no sign of any deep cold as I posted earlier with even surface cold probably transient. My comment would be no sign of winter into early December at least. Could be wrong but based on the charts shown below which have shown consistency then no major cold.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

To stop upsetting folk I will not post these again until to me they seem to indicate a major change in pattern/wavelength that looks to suggest some kind of cold is within 15 days of t+00.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 6

Posted

The 00z control showed a strong euro trough but even that didn't advect cold as far as the uk with the flow changing from positive to negative uppers and nothing particularly cold. De bilt with bit lower uppers but mainly cold due to a loner source continental feed.

Tbf, the 12z control does advect the cold pool over scandi as far as the uk by the end if the run

Overall the 12z ECM extended ens are not great for coldies. the trough trending back to the west of Ireland and away from Europe

does that mean more influence from the scandi high?

Posted

Sorry I must have missed this," The threat of disruptive cyclognesis preoccupies the METO thoughts as documented on here through official channels".

Could you point me where or just elucidate a bit about this disruptive cyclogenesis, please. Are we talking left exits of the jet regarding the UK?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The GFSP shows the Atlantic much stronger and early'r pushing the block away East from the N/W. Very unsettled possibly stormy turn of the Month.

gfsnh-14-264.png?18gfs-0-204.png?18gfsnh-0-240.png?18

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Sorry I must have missed this," The threat of disruptive cyclognesis preoccupies the METO thoughts as documented on here through official channels".

Could you point me where or just elucidate a bit about this disruptive cyclogenesis, please. Are we talking left exits of the jet regarding the UK?

Ian has commented on this over the past couple days re the possibilities of deep depressions approaching the uk.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

At 186h, things are relatively close by 144h but after that? It's anyone's guess.

ECM 12z

ECH1-192_kel9.GIF 

GFS 18z

gfsnh-0-186_owe1.png

• Like 1

Posted

Ian has commented on this over the past couple days re the possibilities of deep depressions approaching the uk.

Yes I was aware of the deep depressions possibility b but not the cyclogenesis angle. And talking of deep depressions...........

Edited by knocker

Posted

A nice chart to finish the run with the Jet way South and a cold N/W flow, Cold enough for snow in places. Way out in the run but nice to see all the same  :)

gfsnh-0-384.png?18gfs-2-372.png?18gfs-1-384.png?18

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Yes, it looks like we could get some snow from Polar Maritime air, Polar Maritime.

gfs-1-384.png?18

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A nice chart to finish the run with the Jet way South and a cold N/W flow, Cold enough for snow in places. Way out in the run but nice to see all the same  :)

gfsnh-0-384.png?18gfs-2-372.png?18gfs-1-384.png?18

Yep , ironically the coldest charts in the last day or two have been the ones with the troughing a bit stronger and further north. With the Sceuro-Russian ridge rather 'flabby' i.e. extending too far south into southeastern Europe, the scenarios where we get a cut off low to our south still don't manage to back much in the way of cold air westwards, so the best hope of cold air seems to come from the northwest for the next fortnight or so. As Tamara says the holding pattern is far from a hindrance long term and has definitely done its job this month but from an IMBY point of view for cold a more 'Polar Maritime' dominated start to December would probably be an improvement (although ideally with heights just being shifted a bit further northeast towards Svalbard/Novaya Zemlya deflecting the jet SE and still pumping wave activity into the strat rather than sinking altogether).

RE the MJO forecasts, I'm assuming given the lag time that we'd be looking for the phase composites to come into play a week or two after the event rather than immediately? In which case this for early December looks a plausible evolution:

DecemberPhase2gt1500mb.gif

followed by this towards week 2:

DecemberPhase3gt1500mb.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

Yep - but to my eye we are starting to see some of the effects of the stratosphere's discomfort in the model output. These depressions are stalling as they hit high pressure over scandinavia, or they are starting to dive SE. This is a very different scenario to last year - and at a time when the atlantic tends to be winding up towards its strongest. I have no doubt we will see plenty of rain still out of this - but in the long term the current pattern, and the trend of that pattern, looks pretty encouraging if it is snow chances that you are after.

• Like 8

Posted

Yep - but to my eye we are starting to see some of the effects of the stratosphere's discomfort in the model output. These depressions are stalling as they hit high pressure over scandinavia, or they are starting to dive SE. This is a very different scenario to last year - and at a time when the atlantic tends to be winding up towards its strongest. I have no doubt we will see plenty of rain still out of this - but in the long term the current pattern, and the trend of that pattern, looks pretty encouraging if it is snow chances that you are after.

Absolutely, my thoughts entirely CH. Right on cue the jet showing signs of wanting to head south (until we get into lo res of course), depressions diving SE to our SW at the time of year when the Atlantic will be at its strongest indicates a NH profile primed to deliver. We will of course need other triggers but this simply wasn't present last year. Just looking at the 'blues and purples' over Greenland and deriving it is similar to last year is plain wrong. The chances are we will have to endure some wind and rain (possibly a lot) but it will be a necessary evil to get to the pot of gold. Last winter V this winter = chalk and cheese. And let's not forget, we are not yet even in winter!

Even though not really showing on the charts yet I think strong wave2 activity will see the main vortex shift east across the meridian in a couple of weeks time. GEFS FI will be worth looking at shortly for signs of that.

• Like 6

Posted

And the anomaly charts continue to show the trough as the main feature, not mild looking at the heights shown over the UK but no sign of any deep cold as I posted earlier with even surface cold probably transient. My comment would be no sign of winter into early December at least. Could be wrong but based on the charts shown below which have shown consistency then no major cold.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

To stop upsetting folk I will not post these again until to me they seem to indicate a major change in pattern/wavelength that looks to suggest some kind of cold is within 15 days of t+00.

I hope you will keep posting these. I find that they are some of the most useful charts available and the fact that the pattern appears stuck is significant in its self .

• Like 8

Posted

One thing that is quite interesting this morning with both the GFS and (P) is the interplay of a complex area of low pressure over the UK and south and east over Europe with warm air being advected from way south. there is also the question of the ingress from the Atlantic. This dance of the lows starts around T132 but just an example at T192 from the  P

Charts courtesy weatherbell.com

post-12275-0-96591200-1416550189_thumb.p

post-12275-0-18135800-1416550199_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Another set of model output, same old stalemate

ECM1-192.GIF?21-12

That is quite a southerly we are getting, shame it's late November and that would probably just squeeze temperatures into double figures for some. Rainfall could potentially become an issue if active fronts stall over areas of the country from time to time, though you would favour eastern areas to receive little rainfall during this period. The ECM overpowers the block by day 9 and 10, will that verify though?

GEM

gem-0-192.png?00

The GFS and parallel offer some more widespread rain though as low pressure makes it closer to the UK

gfs-0-192.png?0

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

Strong agreement within the GEFS this morning for the Atlantic to win out in terms of the UK. As others have said many of the charts on offer look very similar to last winter. That's not to say it will look like that for the whole winter!

With the Russian high in situ though we look like being stuck in a relatively mild set up for a good few weeks as winds will always be from a southerly quadrant over Western europe. I know people are expecting a change because of the strat, but anything cold seems a long way off to me. I've seen this pattern many times over the years and it takes some shifting.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm beginning to wonder, for the sake of the sanity of those seeking for cold/wintry weather, if this stalemate malarky is really going to do us any favours in the short-term, because there's a continued signal for low heights toward the arctic and the block to our east is too far away to deliver deep cold. Unless there's some major pattern change upstream - I don't think that the current 500mb pattern over Europe/Atlantic/Greenland will get us anywhere nearer us seeing a snowflake for another few weeks unless you are up a Scottish mountain. Another thing that's lacking, which would be of great benefit, is an arctic high dropping down over Svalbard, this would help build a strong ridge closer to our N and NE. Instead we end up with a Russian High in retreat.

Mind you, the alternative, which seems to becoming more and more likely with each run, is a slow return to Atlantic mobility, which could set in for a while unless there is a big pattern change upstream to help dislodge the lobe of the PV over Greenland.and N Canada.

Still, we need to wait to see what happens when the Atlantic trough amplifies over western Europe big time day 8 as it hits the block to the east, but hard to see how it will work in our favour for cold/wintry prospects without height rises to our north.

But, as many have said, there are a number of signals (that were amiss last year) that point to this winter hopefully being different than last year pattern wise across the UK, depsite the prominent PV lobe across Greenland and N Canada. Think Chino maybe right with his preliminary winter forecast thoughts - Jan could be when the cold and wintry prospects really hit.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4