Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

look at the difference ukmo and gfs same time frame its rather strange massive heights cutting in the other side of the pole but nothing on the gfs????

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

UN144-21.GIF?21-17

be inclined to think the gfs is wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Day 7 is a million times better on the 12z, this block is never going to die!

gfsnh-0-168.png?12gfsnh-0-174.png?6

GFS P 12z is also looking much better

gfsnh-0-168.png?12gfsnh-0-174.png?6

Chalk and Cheese from the 06z really, Atlantic dominance is being pushed back further into FI!

By a few hours, maybe?

post-15177-0-60321000-1416587619_thumb.p

It is looking decidedly wetter as we get towards the back end of the month.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

By a few hours, maybe?

attachicon.gifScreenshots_2014-11-21-16-32-12.png

It is looking decidedly wetter as we get towards the back end of the month.

I'm Looking at the whole NH not just the surface conditions to the UK. If you think the 06z and 12z are similar, then your not looking at the same models as me!

• Like 1

Posted

Crazy output this evening! ! Scandi high back with a vengeance!! The difference from the o6 to the 12z is ridiculous! !! All am saying is ukmo looks just as good as the gfs and when that is the case you must feel a whole lot better cos normally its the ukmo that doesnt show these synoptics and it's right 70% of the time!!very important to have ukmo on board at the moment! !

• Like 3

Posted

Surprising 12z runs today, far better than this mornings runs, heres the UKMO 12z and 0z for comparison:

UN144-21.GIF?21-12UN144-21.GIF?21-00

The continent is cooling down rapidly as well:

UN144-7.GIF?21-17

Now we just need the ECM to come on board...

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i wouldnt take much notice of the odd models variation, the trend is still for the block to slowly give way. of course thats been expected for a while now and hasnt happened, but the models do still suggest the atlantic will 'win' out, even if all it does is shift the battleground eastwards.

• Like 3

Posted

i wouldnt take much notice of the odd models variation, the trend is still for the block to slowly give way. of course thats been expected for a while now and hasnt happened, but the models do still suggest the atlantic will 'win' out, even if all it does is shift the battleground eastwards.

At day 7 the block is still very strong, any 'trends' of the block giving way is well into FI:

gfsnh-0-168.png?12gfsnh-0-168.png?12

The Jet is also diving well south

• Like 5

Posted

Day 7 is a million times better on the 12z, this block is never going to die!

GFS P 12z is also looking much better

Chalk and Cheese from the 06z really, Atlantic dominance is being pushed back further into FI!

Maybe but I did hear a whisper that the last rites were being read against the whistle in the background of a 200kt jet.

post-12275-0-04678000-1416590201_thumb.p

post-12275-0-69735100-1416590209_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

The trend that sees the block fade away always starts at 240+ as soon as we get into the low res.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Negatives - so far re cold, a lot of the runs aren't cold friendly generally today

Positives - still we see the jet diving SE, the GFS differences at reasonable short range hemispherically run to run, and the UKMO 12z is pretty ok I'd say and for me holds the day to the point that this is far from settled. 

There is quite a bit more consistency required for a cold or mild outlook.  I think the model watching  stakes are starting to ramp up.

In reality the point of action one way or another is still FI model wise......and the block isn't removed until its actually removed?

BFTP 

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

The trend that sees the block fade away always starts at 240+ as soon as we get into the low res.

Is that a trend?  The GFS almost always goes into pile the block away in deep FI

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

one has to admire your optimism, if you are a cold lover, BFTP.

There is absolutely no sign of anything developing in the next 2 weeks that would give cold to this country. Well that is my view and I have been wrong before!

Everyone has John and sometimes fairly often compared to yourself [sincerely stated], but the models are rather poor at times but why is there absolutely no sign of anything developing in next two weeks to bring cold?

I'm not expecting any deep cold or snow at all this month let's make that clear as it doesn't really happen overnight, but I am looking for developments backend of this month of colder weather pattern being present that may bring much colder weather in early December.   Just want to make it clear

I'll take this for today

UW144-21.GIF?21-18

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

I don't share the optimism of others when the "block" is maintained. As per the latest GFS, the "Block" is over scandi and the Atlantic is driving mild wet weather at the UK. Unless we see retrogression towards Iceland / Greenland it is no use to us in providing cold. A terrible start to the season IMO. No eye candy runs so far, not even the odd ensemble to drag out! Hopefully it's just a slow start and things improve mid December

• Like 2

Posted

Oh no another ECM wild goose chase! Gone is this mornings horror show to be replaced by a stronger high to the east and the trough splitting.

There was a cluster of more easterly wind ECM ensembles this morning so perhaps its gone with one of those but overall I have little confidence in any of the outputs , the ECM in particular .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Better ecm here with the block further west!!!Things ae so fluid atm and very much up in the air .Not much in the way of a move north in the block but its staying fairly strong

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Well it doesn't actually as the charts barry95 displays show. And they are in line with what i posted that the block is expected to slowly decline, which senior forecasters have predicted.

Of course it might not go according to current expectations. But placing hopes on odd runs without further support from the more knowledgeable is not a wise move imho.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh no another ECM wild goose chase! Gone is this mornings horror show to be replaced by a stronger high to the east and the trough splitting.

There was a cluster of more easterly wind ECM ensembles this morning so perhaps its gone with one of those but overall I have little confidence in any of the outputs , the ECM in particular .

The JMA at day 8 looks in the same ballpark as the ECM,although that doesn't exactly inspire confidence!

• Like 1

Posted

So far this evening the ECM and JMA are best for cold potential. The GFS P is like the ECM 00hrs with the PV looking ominous to the north, the GEM in between, the UKMO is really out of kilter with any other output and looks to be an outlier solution.the GFS tries to split the trough but upstream phasing negates that.

Even if the ECM had some deep cold to draw on from the east it still would be Code Red,  I prefer the JMA solution as high pressure there is already better placed to the north to exert better forcing on the troughing.

The interest really is whether those ECM ensembles stick with that easterly cluster and how many actually bring a cold pool further west.

After this mornings ECM somewhat relieved to see it drop that hideous run but its hard to have too much faith in any of the outputs because of these wild swings.

NCEP have basically written a book this evening on the uncertainty, below is just a small part!

...OVERVIEW...

GUIDANCE IS CONTINUING TO INDICATE THAT A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF
FCST UNCERTAINTY WILL ORIGINATE FROM THE ERN PACIFIC.  THERE ARE
STILL MEANINGFUL DIFFS IN HOW FLOW WITHIN THE TROUGH NEAR 150W
WILL SEPARATE AROUND DAY 4 TUE... WHICH IMPACTS DOWNSTREAM DETAILS
THEREAFTER... ALONG WITH HOW UPSTREAM NRN PAC ENERGY WILL INTERACT
WITH THE UPR LOW/TROUGH THAT IS LEFT BEHIND AFTER THE SEPARATION
OCCURS.  THUS FCST CONFIDENCE DECREASES FAIRLY RAPIDLY AFTER
REASONABLE AGREEMENT AMONG SOLNS INTO TUE.  TRENDS THAT ARE
EVIDENT OVER THE PAST DAY ARE SUGGESTING SOMEWHAT LONGER
PERSISTENCE OF THE WEST COAST RIDGE/ERN CONUS TROUGH MEAN PATTERN.

The full discussion can be found here:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdepd.html

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 5