Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted

The GEM has just had a big upgrade so past verification is no indicator for future performance.

A big test coming up for this model then. It certainly needed an upgrade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Is this the ECM following the UKMO tonight? Low going due south and better profile our east? :D

ECH1-144.GIFUN144-21.GIF?22-18

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Is this the ECM following the UKMO tonight? Low going due south and better profile our east? :D

ECH1-144.GIFEcm ukmoUN144-21.GIF?22-18

Ecm ukmo look like Roger rabbit
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

It certainly has.

Moses himself couldn't part the vortex any wider. :D

attachicon.gifgemnh-0-240.png

LOL,

That is just about a perfect split for the UK, based upon a blog by Lorenzo in the strat thread.....

Damm it I cannot get the link to work!!

It has come back by about 3-500 miles since this morning and with another 200 miles will be purrfect.

MIA

• Like 4

Posted

ECM 168 let down me thinks..

Yep sorry folks, ECM not playing ball tonight after a little teeze around 144, at 192 Azores high encroaching, December 1st will be mild and calm if this verifies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Tonights UKMO is significant because its the first time so far this season that a projected pattern change has got into the UKMO firing range at 144-

The strong jet streak heading due south towards SW spain allows heights to build NW towards Svalbard...

As long as the ECM sees this similar trend ( & the 12z GFS ENS are trending this way) then things are starting to look very interesting in 8-9 days....

S

Hi Steve , 

Not being disrespectful but you said to watch for mid month... unfortunately things did not pan out as you expected, 

This time round i`m with you ... not long now!! 

i don`t think we have to wait long for a cold shot.. reasons for this are as follows.... UKMO had what looked like an outlier run with almost cross polar height the other day and tonight brought back almost  the same image .....

post-18134-0-86880700-1416679226_thumb.p   

This is significant as the Gem is doing its best to join the party but at a much later timeframe. 

the Gfs operational runs are carp ( misspelled on purpose) 

Here are some samples from the ensembles from the Gfs captured this morning from the 00z, no need to wait for the 12z.

A snapshot of  pressure up and down the UK 

Aberdeen                                                    West Yorkshire                                                          kent                                                     

post-18134-0-25353400-1416679724_thumb.ppost-18134-0-50850900-1416679787_thumb.ppost-18134-0-20994000-1416679834_thumb.p

A lot of scattering but the trend is upwards for pressure to rise.

I dont think for a minute the atlantic will come close to tanking in, heres an image i captured a couple of days ago of the polar vortex eyeing up the UK and finding its facing an iron fist !!

..GFS Style  :rofl:

How long until the GFS backtracks ?

post-18134-0-20668500-1416681672_thumb.p

Edited by bryan629
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

hmm the change from t144 to t168 is huge on ECM, seems a bit quick for such a change in 24 hours

ECM1-144.GIF?22-0ECM1-168.GIF?22-0

Lets wait and see what the ensemble shows later on post t144

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

If we could get the Azores high moving south instead of east, it probably would of been like the GEM. The ECM is only the best until day 6, so it wouldn't be that unusual for the GEM To be right and the ECM wrong.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think the problem comes from Nick S' shortwave phasing upstream - the ECM, while having a far better looking profile this side of the Atlantic at +120, still phases the lows in the US, which means we don't get as much amplification in the Atlantic and more of the jet energy goes north instead of south.

The JMA tonight also follows the GEM and UKMO upstream and has a more negatively tilted trough as well at +144, leading to a very interesting +192 chart:

JN192-21.GIF?22-12

At least the ECM has decent heights over the Arctic, a trend which most of the models seem to be picking up on in one way or another this afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted

Where's your Money Folks?

At day 9/10 we have the best charts of the season so far from GEM against any absolute horror show for cold by the ECM at the same range..

Wise money has to be ECM, but that is some switch after 144

Posted

hmm the change from t144 to t168 is huge on ECM, seems a bit quick for such a change in 24 hours

ECM1-144.GIF?22-0ECM1-168.GIF?22-0

Lets wait and see what the ensemble shows later on post t144

I must admit, I was thinking exactly the same. Any of the seasoned experts on here think that rapid change in 24 hours is possible ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Full info on GEM's upgrade here for anyone interested

interesting read I wonder how it will verify in the weeks to come might be an interesting model to keep a eye on as well as Gfs ecm ukmo?

Posted

I must admit, I was thinking exactly the same. Any of the seasoned experts on here think that rapid change in 24 hours is possible ?

Well I'm not a seasoned expert but it's not that big a change. The Portuguese low filling and slipping south allowing the Azores ridge to move east and orientate further NE.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Ecm has been drinking all day and gone totally bonkers with its output. It really needs to sober up, so I will bin that run, on the other hand Gfs has been consistent with its runs for a while now with the Atlantic in full control ,aided by a very strong jet stream from the later days of next week.... Looking for deep cold at the moment ,is like looking for the proverbial gold at the end of the rainbow, its early days and we are yet to get to Winter,;;; it will come,,,,!  The gfs plays some colder weather in the equation so perhaps some pyrotechnics as we inherit some cold rPM air and snow for upland areas of the Uk. . All in all, a benign period of weather ,although certainly not settled , Then  the Jet stream really fires up! :nea:

post-6830-0-79057300-1416686328_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-47274000-1416686366_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-53734000-1416686457_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-27122800-1416686533_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-14759000-1416686581_thumb.pn

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Ecm has been drinking all day and gone totally bonkers with its output. It really needs to sober up, so I will bin that run, on the other hand Gfs has been consistent with its runs for a while now with the Atlantic in full control

Why has it gone totally bonkers? at day 6 it has support from the UKMO, GEM and JMA. If anything the GFS is the odd one out...

• Like 6