Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 1200 hrs 15/11/14

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Todays output is like waking up on Xmas morning expecting to get your new Playstation and realizing you've hit a time warp and now have to make do with the Binatone tennis game!

This probably won't mean a thing to younger members!

Overall the ECM once again has led yet another fantasy tour and its now dropped last nights more positive output for coldies and replaced it with yesterday mornings horror show, the upstream pattern flattens out and the PV moves into Greenland.

I don't think the French have a term for crud but lets just call it crudé  !!!

The ECM ensembles have lost that strong easterly cluster with jut a smaller amount hanging onto the precipice!

So yesterday mornings ECM was Alien 1, this mornings Alien 2, I really don't want to see a third instalment this evening.

As for the other NWP pretty much in the same boat bar the GEM , the problem really is just too much energy spilling eastwards and the flat pattern over the USA and Canada means theres nothing to help pull some of those low heights away.

This is Ripley last survivor of the Nostramo signing off......... still waiting to be rescued from this mild void!

The above post reflects my feelings on current output .A few tasty charts though at the end of P GFS today .but we all must remember that this time last year a very big long lasting weather event wasn,t that far around the meteorological corner ,Just a case of waiting Gang ,this Mild damp gloomy overlasting spell is  giving my Brussels the MOLD .I,v nearly cracked it with posting charts ,thanks to those posters for Help ,so far  everything i,v tried as gone into cyber space .Lets hope tonights chart runs give us some needed cold . :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted

There are still some uncertainties over the USA in terms of shortwaves and you'll note how the ECM phases two shortwaves over the ne USA at T120hrs:

post-1206-0-12107600-1416662312_thumb.gi

It's the only operational run of the major models to do this, we're left today with hoping that the ECM operational run is wrong and so I bring you  this from the NCEP  state discussion for New York:

LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...
THERE ARE STILL SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN THE MODELS HANDLING OF
A FULL LATITUDE TROUGH STRETCHING FROM THE GREAT LAKES TO TEXAS
TUESDAY MORNING...AND MORE IMPORTANTLY HOW A NORTHERN STREAM
SHORTWAVE DIVING DOWN FROM N CENTRAL CANADA INTERACTS WITH THIS
TROUGH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK.

THE 00Z ECMWF IS THE STRONGEST WITH THIS NORTHERN STREAM
SHORTWAVE...AND HENCE ULTIMATELY DEEPER AND CLOSER TO THE COAST
WITH THE ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW. THE CMC IS THE SLOWEST WITH THIS
FEATURE AND DOES NOT HAVE MUCH IF ANY PHASING WITH THE FULL
LATITUDE TROUGH...SO ITS LOW IS WEAKER AND FAR ENOUGH OUT TO SEA
THAT THERE WOULD BE LITTLE OR NO IMPACT. THE GFS HAS ABOUT THE
SAME STRENGTH OF THE NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE AS THE CMC...BUT
IS FASTER AND HENCE HAS ENOUGH PHASING WITH THE FULL LATITUDE
TROUGH TO HAVE ITS LOW BE A BIT STRONGER AND CLOSER TO THE COAST
THAN THE CMC. THE 00Z GEFS AND ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS ARE IN FAIRLY
GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE OPERATIONAL GFS. SO BASED ON THIS...FOR
NOW IT APPEARS THE ECMWF IS AN OUTLIER AND HAVE LEANED MORE
TOWARDS A NON-ECMWF SOLUTION AT THIS TIME.

• Like 3

Posted

Lots of posts about wishing the block away, reset etc. Putting aside the fact that that is a very high risk strategy, a full on retreat of the block and Atlantic onslaught looks very unlikely to me. No doubt we are looking at a battle royale between east and west,especially with the strong jet that will be emerging off the Eastern seaboard in the next couple of days but even if we see a progressive pattern take shape over the next couple of weeks or so, that block is very likely to be omnipreset for the most part of this winter so we had better get used to it and its influence on us (direct or otherwise).

06z the best run for a long time, if you want to look at the big picture.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 7

Posted

I understand the reasons for people wanting the block to stay, but in reality relying on a Russian high to ridge back far enough to impact us with cold uppers is likely to lead to disappointment IMHO, especially with energy moving over the top of the block. This is a 'mildfest' set up for NW Europe(at 850 level anyway) simply because we will keep winds from the south. In January a SE flow might be sufficient, but it won't be in early winter.

I think we need the block to recede. I suspect then that we will get a southerly tracking jet and some proper northern pressure rises. I can't see the Atlantic rolling for weeks with the background signals, but we may need it to get through unless we want to waste weeks under a non descript south easterly.

As others such as John Holmes have suggested, we are a long way from seeing any major wintry outbreak.

Edit: by saying we are a 'long way from cold' that doesn't mean I don't think it wont happen. I just don't think it will happen in the next 3 weeks!

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 1

Posted

good afternoon early December   could be fun  first sigh of the white stuff!!!

post-4629-0-54457700-1416667314_thumb.pn

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

UKMO 12z day 6 is much better than the 00z, with the block much further west

UN144-21.GIF?22-17UN144-21.GIF?22-00

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

UKMO this afternoon wants to send a big low straight down south on the 12z, with the eastern block building again over it up towards Iceland. This looks interesting to me?

UW120-21.GIF?22-17UW144-21.GIF

EDIT: Great minds Barry haha :p

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Huge difference at day 6

UN144-21.GIF?22-17

Block holding firm to our east, though nothing outstanding temperature wise on the horizon

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

GFS pushing the Atlantic through, by day 7 its a typical mixed westerly pattern establishing over the UK.

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

GFS parallel

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

Between the two but even the parallel gets us into a westerly flow a day or so later.

Whilst he GFS seems progressive, the removal of low heights from the Siberian side may allow the high to relax and retreat eastwards somewhat. Either way no sign of cold again even at beyond 7-10 days out. Despite the extended ensembles suggesting the Canadian lobe relaxing, the nearer term suggests the opposite with low heights becoming specifically concentrated over the Greenland/Canadian region. 

I must add, the polar profile has some positives regarding the state of the polar vortex, it just seems that we keep rolling snake eyes in the pattern stakes at the moment. 

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted

The big difference upstream between  the UKMO and GFS and GFS P develops quite early on, the former sticks to the separate shortwave and not much phasing between T96hrs and T120hrs, the latter two phase those shortwaves and then flatten the pattern out.

The GEM also does the same as the UKMO, you'll from those NCEP discussions the uncertainty but both GFS's have backed this mornings ECM over the ne USA, we really do not want to see that phasing.

Afternoon All-

Minimal postings from me this week- updating winter forecast.

Good UKMO & GEM combined this afternoon.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/geme_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&mode=0&carte=1&archive=0

not so much interest in the GFS

S

Actually the GEM is the best run of the year so far with a decent solid 2 wave pattern at 210...................

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

hi guys, i dont post in here all that often but i have just read a quote from Joe B

"westward shift of GFS starting.. Should continue as model goes toward ECMWF."

i read some thing from Nick S that the NCEP where saying that it considered the ECM as a outlier.

can anyone explain,confused.com

thanks in advance

fromey

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

hi guys, i dont post in here all that often but i have just read a quote from Joe B

i read some thing from Nick S that the NCEP where saying that it considered the ECM as a outlier.

thanks in advance

fromey

Well lets put it bluntly, any doubts about totally discrediting Joe B hae been vanquished.

This was this mornings ECM

ECH1-240.GIF?22-12

So the correct statement would be;

"The eastward shift of the GFS is starting, it should continue as the model shifts towards the ECM."

That would be a more factual statement as this afternoons GFS is more progressive than its morning run.

• Like 3

Posted

The GFS (P) has the Atlantic bowling along from T120 onwards with a depression nipping through the UK into Denmark on pretty strong jet. And the ops at T192

Charts weatherbell.com

post-12275-0-53989900-1416676475_thumb.p

post-12275-0-75145200-1416676484_thumb.p

post-12275-0-26906400-1416676492_thumb.p

post-12275-0-92174100-1416676728_thumb.p

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

The UKMO and GEM are brilliant, I really wish we could see a day 7 chart on the UKMO, but you'd think it would trend a similar way to the GEM:

gemnh-0-168.png?12gemnh-0-192.png?12gemnh-0-240.png?12

If the ECM is similiar to the GEM and UKMO there could be a melt down on here tonight!

• Like 8

Posted

Tonights UKMO is significant because its the first time so far this season that a projected pattern change has got into the UKMO firing range at 144-

The strong jet streak heading due south towards SW spain allows heights to build NW towards Svalbard...

As long as the ECM sees this similar trend ( & the 12z GFS ENS are trending this way) then things are starting to look very interesting in 8-9 days....

S

The ECM did seem to be seeing this trend but seemed to back away this morning. Lets hope it swings back again tonight.

Posted

thanks in advance

fromey

It is always good to check the context of posts from American meteorologists - he's referring to snowfall in the US, whether that has any bearing for us is questionable.

• Like 4

Posted

Great chart but such a shame the GEM never seems to verify!

The GEM has just had a big upgrade so past verification is no indicator for future performance.

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 8