Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted

I remember in similar situations to this, although there might not be snow in the south of the UK during the daytime, there's always a chance of polar lows coming south in the night time period when the temperature is lower. I've seen this happen a number of times in the past

• Like 1

Posted

"Well I believe in Keyser Söze and the only thing that scares me is model fanatics"

Next weeks Northerly incursion is a direct result in the very short lag time between Troposphere and Stratosphere event unfolding.

Height rises N America around 26th Jan. Asian a Mountain Torque event by the 31st Jan. Polar Vortex displacement is garenteed .

Is it enough to indefinitely disrupt Polar Vortex? Unknown.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Charts that are in the high resolution time frame should ALL be taken VERY seriously. Of course the professionals take them into account, how do you think the Met Office come up with the medium and long term outlooks? Granted they will use more than one model.  It's called a FIVE day forecast for a reason, and they can be made with reasonable confidence.

Now when talking about precipitation amounts or sunshine amounts, charts past the 72hr mark are useless yes, but when examining the upper air profiles for trends or to get a jist of the outlook over the next 5-7 days, each and every run counts.

Suggesting people calm down over a set of charts that are realistically WELL into the reliable time frame is just plain stupid.

Rant over. 

It depends though on the level of Shanon Entropy as Ian Ferguson has mentioned. High S/E = low confidence in the forecast  , Low S/E= High confidence in the forecast. :)

Looking back to historic charts the following give heavy snow to low levels in the south.

post-213-0-49881600-1422124212_thumb.gifpost-213-0-69054100-1422124214_thumb.gif

Is there a source of historical data, which gives more information on historical events e.g. these type of charts.

post-213-0-50675800-1422124499_thumb.jpg

I do think that some people tend to underestimate the snow potential from Northerlies as they live in areas, not effected by them.

With relation to the GFS charts they got very messy and the delayed the coldest air further south, something we didn't see in the ECM earlier. But what will the 12Hz show.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

For comparison purposes

ECM 144h
ECH1-144.GIF?24-0

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png

• Like 2

Posted

Surely cold enough for UK wide snow showers with the T168 ECM!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Ridging in the atlantic not as good on the ecm at 160+ and little of a pressure rise towards greenland compared to this morning.Small low zipping threw ete .Still a good cold blast so far tho imo

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

ECM 168 Cold enough for snow for all!! And whats going to happen to the little potential "runner" in the Atlantic??? Undercut? Hopefully!

Recm1681.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

JMA certainly brings in some colder uppers, maybe not so long lived though.

JN192-21.GIF?24-12JN192-7.GIF?24-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Reviewing the ECM 144 it has

* A trough moving south over the uk ( look at the kink )

* low heights - circa 500mb thickness ~ 524 dam

* low uppers over england - as low as -8c in the SE

Thats certainly has wintry potential!!

s

Good to see you being more positive mate, ECM looks pretty good! Plenty of instability in that flow.

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 2

Posted

I would like to bank this run. Nice evolution, not quite as good ridging towards Greenland but general theme from the ECM is very solid.

BANK

ECH0-192.GIF?24-0

ECH1-192.GIF?24-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

That'll do nicely!

ECU0-192.GIF?24-0

• Like 3

Posted

Short but harsh 3 day cold blast.. Not to be sniffed at folks.. It might topple over us at 216 and we then have a couple of days to severe frosts over the snow fields..

Ramp over.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

ECM 12z does look very cold, however, there is still need for caution:

post-992-0-98097700-1422125403_thumb.gif

post-992-0-89238300-1422125416_thumb.jpg

Will need to see dew point information, which will only verify inside T+24.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The ECM op at D9 flatter, like its 0z mean tonight: post-14819-0-60033700-1422125448_thumb.gpost-14819-0-23852500-1422125449_thumb.g

To be expected and in line with the recent GEFS output of a 5-6 day cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

At 216 the northern hemisphere looks like a crocodiles face.............I'll get my coat!

ECH1-216.GIF?24-0

• Like 4

Posted

EC is just stunning all the way though tbh, however if we stick to T144, a Steve says there is a front moving down, IMO there are a couple of surface features (i.e upto around 8000ft) coming down the country, as we get closer, history (and far too much model watching), tells us that the warmer sector and colder sector in these features amplifies down to around T48-72 region. With the amplification comes rain and sleet for areas west of the features centre and heavy snow just to the east. These features also tend to move west a bit as well imo.

With that in mind a forecasting would be very concerned with *snow potential* atm, particularly for areas east of devon and west wales and west of say the M1.

A wide area atm, which will get narrowed down, but dry this aint.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

EC is just stunning all the way though tbh, however if we stick to T144, a Steve says there is a front moving down, IMO there are a couple of surface features (i.e upto around 8000ft) coming down the country, as we get closer, history (and far too much model watching), tells us that the warmer sector and colder sector in these features amplifies down to around T48-72 region. With the amplification comes rain and sleet for areas west of the features centre and heavy snow just to the east. These features also tend to move west a bit as well imo.

With that in mind a forecasting would be very concerned with *snow potential* atm, particularly for areas east of devon and west wales and west of say the M1.

A wide area atm, which will get narrowed down, but dry this aint.

Thanks for your updates on surface features,precipitation etc.. very handy to hear. Hopefully someone will post some preicip charts for ECM when they come out. 

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Quick question as i'm viewing the latest runs on my phone,are we seeing air sourced from a 'true' arctic source yet (Northerly) ? they look like they bend into a 'not too cold' (severity wise) Russia,hence the nashing of teeth regarding marginal snow events again...

• Like 1