Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I suppose I'd better get back to watching Youtube videos from the 80s and early 90s, when we used to get 'proper' textbook weather, the type I read in every book on weather, and which actually seemed to happen, as a kid.

I've just discovered an absolute gem of a video covering the December 1990 blizzard, great stuff.

Still my favourite ever weather event after all these years  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Winter comparison (09-15)

Winter 09/10

I loved this winter. There was a great amount of snow to make me happy, and it lasted.

Winter 10/11

This winter was a proper BEAST, especially December. The snow was amazing, better than the previous year.

Winter 11/12

Compared to many previous years, boring, but at least early February had a decent short lasting snow event.

Winter 12/13

Perhaps comparable to the Winter of 09/10 in January, the snow was great this year.

Winter 13/14

No snow, storms. Shame of the lack of snow, but the storms were powerful, I remember one as deep as 927mb. Also recorded a 70mph gust locally, bought down a tree very nearby.

Winter 14/15

Comparable to Winter 11/12, except instead of a big short lived snow event, there is no proper snow. This winter is not over, but I really do not expect snow or anything eventful with that huge lazy high sitting over us all for maybe the whole month, but definitely half the month. Nearly every winter has had some sort of 'cold snap', and this one is hardly special, in fact this one is especially weak, especially when temperatures reach 5C by midday - hardly 'cold' but the average chilli.

I'm speaking for West Midlands, perhaps East/North Midlands have done better this year. Warwickshire has certainally been a bore this year though.

Edited by Cumulonimbus123
  • Like 2

Posted
cyclonic happiness, on 05 Feb 2015 - 22:40, said:

The weather is getting more and more sluggish. Patterns are lasting longer and becoming less intense.

The only thing of note nowadays is rain, and not because it's especially heavy, just because the pattern sticks around for so long it mounts up.

I can see a boring future where we get eternal autumn the whole year round, regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.

Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull......I'd rather live on the moon, they get more more weather than this part of the Midlands.

I suppose I'd better get back to watching Youtube videos from the 80s and early 90s, when we used to get 'proper' textbook weather, the type I read in every book on weather, and which actually seemed to happen, as a kid.

I was also sold the lie that winters would get more violent and summers more hot and neither have happened, and they were predicted by climate scientists.

Last winter was pretty violent surely?

• Like 1

Posted

Last winter was pretty violent surely?

it was ok, but we got the least fierce winds in the whole country.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold dry night with clear sky's and a low of -3.2c, Around 4cm of snow cover.

Currently; Dry with a ground frost.

Temp -2.6c

Dp -3.3c

Wind Chill -2.6c

Wind N/N/E 2mph

Snow cover 82% 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Nice video Bish. We can live in hope!!

Clear and -1.4 c here at the mo.

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Clear and cold. Oh and good morning

Min -2.0C overnight.

Now it is -1.7C with a dp of -4.7C

Looks like being a coldish but sunny day.

MIA

Edit will have to look at your video above Bish. It certainly was a 'stonker'

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

The weather is getting more and more sluggish. Patterns are lasting longer and becoming less intense.

The only thing of note nowadays is rain, and not because it's especially heavy, just because the pattern sticks around for so long it mounts up.

I can see a boring future where we get eternal autumn the whole year round, regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.

Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull......I'd rather live on the moon, they get more more weather than this part of the Midlands.

I was also sold the lie that winters would get more violent and summers more hot and neither have happened, and they were predicted by climate scientists.

The winters did get more violent in the late 80`s/ 90`s with atlantic storms, but summers went totally opposite to what the scientists said lol.

After last night the temp was 3c and then dropped to the coldest night of the week at -3.3c by then all the ppn had gone,it would`ve snow for definite.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Morning all.... a cold start today with a very good frost.... have not been into the MOD this morning so no idea if any changes in outlook... I did find this on the bbc tho....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/31153795     lucky lot...

• Like 1

Posted

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. I think I should point out that I'm not the original uploader - I wasn't even old enough to drive in December 1990  :D

Beautiful, crystal clear morning here, barely a breath of wind.

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

Still a very cold feel to the air.

Not looking forward to the weather over the next 10 days or so, still would be the ideal word for IT.

Just about to watch Bish's video though

Much better than wet mild and windy,dry is ideal for me currently.

If we could have something like this chart below 2008 even better sharp frosts and cold days,if the high could shift that bit further north on current charts.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2008/Rrea00120080217.gif

ECM does show it.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.html

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted

Such a shame we now enter this boring pathetic spell of weather.

It has been bad enough this cold spell but the next week or so boring, boring and

more boring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Such a shame we now enter this boring pathetic spell of weather.

It has been bad enough this cold spell but the next week or so boring, boring and

more boring.

We can't have active weather 52 weeks a year, at least a couple of months each year are spent in a similar tone to this. It's not pathetic, it's the natural weather. If you don't like it - change hobby. I will agree it's boring though. Is there any form of weather you like when it's not an absolute sticking blizzard in your back garden with 50CM expected?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

High may clean out around friday 13th, after GFS shows weak front coming southwards, air may just clear behind that

Posted

If this high is going to stick around, I just hope it doesn't fill with gunk after 2 days as most highs have done since 2013. Those ones in September were particularly bad for this, as we're last April's. Nothing worse than anticyclonic gloom, except rain that should be snow.

• Like 1

Posted

Just touching 3c now with a wind chill of -1.2c E/N/E.

• Like 1

Posted

Nice frosty start to the day, followed by sunshine and light winds with a max temp so far of 3.8C. Temp looks to be falling back now.

Posted

We can't have active weather 52 weeks a year, at least a couple of months each year are spent in a similar tone to this. It's not pathetic, it's the natural weather. If you don't like it - change hobby. I will agree it's boring though. Is there any form of weather you like when it's not an absolute sticking blizzard in your back garden with 50CM expected?

Just frustrated at how poor this winter has been again really.

I don't expect 50 cm of snow. five cm would be nice that lay for a day or more!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Indeed that is true, but its winter, and pretty much the whole of this winter has been 'boring'. No snow has settled here yet (apart from maybe 0.1cm), and the nights have been FREEZING but days not particularly 'cold' because the snow failed to settle on multiple occasions, and no good storms have affected here. My point was that every other winter (in the past 5 years) has had at least one interesting thing happen, e.g. 09/10 20cm snow, 10/11 25cm snow, 11/12 short lived 10cm snow, 12/13 15cm snow, 13/14 70mph wind gust, 14/15 well... NOTHING (so far).

Second half of February could impress though... but the first half is anticyclonic gloom  :diablo: 

Just seen the GFS... YIKES.

The high is on the charts for the next 384 hours... that being until the 21 February, and that is the furthest the GFS goes, so it could be there well... all MONTH :(

Edited by Cumulonimbus123

Posted

I've just discovered an absolute gem of a video covering the December 1990 blizzard, great stuff.

Still my favourite ever weather event after all these years  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:

Bish

Stunning event, we had two and half feet of snow and were the worst affected area in the country, no electricity for four days and no water for 2 days, drifts up the front door of over 5-6' !! I still think we are paying for that snowfall all these years after :-(

• Like 3

Posted

I know the weather does have boring periods, but surly two almost full years where practically nothing has happened of note, is really too much.

And I'm talking about this region of the Midlands, not the peaks or the peripheries.

I'm seriously considering moving to try to get some weather back into my life . We didn't even have any April shower last year, not a single one?

I cannot remember the last time we had a warm april day, with heavy showers and hail and bright, clear skies afterwards, that just doesn't happen any more.

In fact, there never seems to be alot of shower activity after cold fronts nowadays at all? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Indeed that is true, but its winter, and pretty much the whole of this winter has been 'boring'. No snow has settled here yet (apart from maybe 0.1cm), and the nights have been FREEZING but days not particularly 'cold' because the snow failed to settle on multiple occasions, and no good storms have affected here. My point was that every other winter (in the past 5 years) has had at least one interesting thing happen, e.g. 09/10 20cm snow, 10/11 25cm snow, 11/12 short lived 10cm snow, 12/13 15cm snow, 13/14 70mph wind gust, 14/15 well... NOTHING (so far).

Second half of February could impress though... but the first half is anticyclonic gloom  :diablo: 

Just seen the GFS... YIKES.

The high is on the charts for the next 384 hours... that being until the 21 February, and that is the furthest the GFS goes, so it could be there well... all MONTH :(

about the 4th GFS run on the trot to do so

Posted

Took this shot at top of Rowsley Bar early'er, Was lovely and clear.

post-12319-0-40988000-1423248342_thumb.j

• Like 4