Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Temp was -1.8C earlier this evening, but has since risen to +2.8C now. Cloud has arrived and it feels completely different outside.

Looking at temps on here temps do look higher tonight,did have another air frost earlier at -0.7c but now cloudy at 1.5c

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Thanks MIA

Will be watching hopefully. Am off work next week and staying in Stratford so a snow event would be great timing although my daughter might not be so pleased if her falconry experience at Hatton is cancelled. It was a present from

Don't expect much snow in Stratford... They always seem to miss out on everything. But it might be a good thing for your daughter at least.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Morning all,

Temp 3.1C, very dull and grey. 

Synoptics are changing slightly this morning.Instead ot high being all dominating around Ireland (as per the GFS adnausea)  the center is transferring across Northern England to the Center of the  North Sea. This has the effect of pulling in southeasterlies from the continent for us and removes the possibilities of the lovely sunny warm afternoons replaced by North sea har!! 

Just seen the MO(BBC)  forecast and they still have the sinking low for the weekend. They do admit they don't know where it is going but do expect it over south UK..Apparently it hasn't even formed yet.

GFS still persists in pushing it straight through Northern Scotland with return to westerlies.

So no change yet to the outlook with an easterly or westerly on saturday!!!

Interestingly ECM is in the middle. It could have the right answwer (as usual).

MIA. 

:nonono:  :cc_confused:

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cool night with patchy cloud and Fog forming, A low of 1.3c. Still some big patches of snow left under the walls and further up the hills.. 

Currently; Dry Foggy.

Temp 2.1c

Wind W/N/W 6mph

Rain today 0.0mm

Snow cover 8%

Posted

Continues chilly here with thick Fog, Temp 2.6c

Posted

A contrast to the previous few days - grey and murky. Cold feeling with the temperature slowly declining since this morning from a high of 2.9C down to 1.6C now.

If you want to see some great snow photos have a look at this article published yesterday about the snow storms in Boston, USA. Close to 6 feet of snow in just a few weeks, and another storm coming today that could drop up to another foot! Even the Bostonians are finding it tough.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2015/02/09/boston-new-england-snow-records/23109017/

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thick fog all day today, in complete contrast to almost 8 hours of sunshine yesterday.

Posted

Hi guys

:D  :D  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :cc_confused:  :rofl:

Have been offline all day and Just looked at the MOD.

My 3:1 chance from yesterday morning is now looking lke better than 50:50.

MO is still dithering with the sinking low,  but ends up with high pressure over Scandy. BBC forecasts talk about the low fizzling so a lesser chance of precipitation.

GFS has been pulled screaming "I want high pressure over the UK" into the land of reality and has finally shown the sliding low, but a long way to the west. It still goes on to develop high pressure next week in the Atlantic , but at least has a high center over scandy - not there yet, but it is thinking about it with a 3000 mile long ridge from Newfoundland to Scandy and straight over us. A really strange and rare event if that were to happen. To me the new GFS is not performing well, but lets see next week actually brings  first.

ECM has come onboard the easterly idea, inspite of missing out on a great undercut opportunity on sunday. If it could manage that we COULD get plunged into a very cold spell.     It is still showing a strong Scandy/ Poland high  by Tuesday though.

However the major problem is still the the lack of cold to our East. We need an undercutter to drag the cold westward. 

Without it, it could take 4 -5 days  of easterlies to get any real cold to our shores. I am not too certain that is likely, though I have seen it happen in days of yore.

Today dull and cold and the air seemed to get colder this afternoon.  My max 4.7C, now dropped to 3.2C.

MIA

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Don't expect much snow in Stratford... They always seem to miss out on everything. But it might be a good thing for your daughter at least.

Know what you mean about snow in Stratford but was lucky once to wake up to a surprise fall early one Sunday in April a few years back. My caravan that I posted a snowy pic of yesterday is in Stratford...gave the campers in the field a bit of a shock though and the tourers struggled to get off until it thawed (which happened a bit too quickly)

She is looking forward to going to Hatton so maybe Stratford and nearby can keep the snow shield on for that day please

Edited by Snowsie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Know what you mean about snow in Stratford but was lucky once to wake up to a surprise fall early one Sunday in April a few years back. My caravan that I posted a snowy pic of yesterday is in Stratford...gave the campers in the field a bit of a shock though and the tourers struggled to get off the field

She is looking forward to going to Hatton so maybe Stratford and nearby can keep the snow shield on for that day please

Sun 6 Apr 08, was great here as well, but fast thaw in bright sun

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

Sun 6 Apr 08, was great here as well, but fast thaw in bright sun

Was it that long ago! Thanks. I've been trying to work it out by how old my daughter was...she was nearly 4 and made her first snowman that day :)

Lol I was editing when you posted because I remembered how quick the thaw was. I had been worried about getting home for work on the Monday but it was gone quickly

Edited by Snowsie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Was it that long ago! Thanks. I've been trying to work it out by how old my daughter was...she was nearly 4 and made her first snowman that day :)

Lol I was editing when you posted because I remembered how quick the thaw was. I had been worried about getting home for work on the Monday but it was gone quickly

April snow off a northerly will never last at low levels, Feb is bad enough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Must admit MIA the GFS is poor of late, Just 72hrs ago it had a deep low over Scandinavia on the 15th and now a high.

gfs-2015021012-0-120_irv6.png

And the ECM is so inconsistent recently it's changing on every run.... :cc_confused:

So who's to say what or where we will be in 5 to 10 days time.... Hopefully :cold: :cold: :cold:

Today 8.pngand :cold: Currently 3.6c.

• Like 1

Posted

cold again today feels like it's been cold for weeks , no snow or very low temps but cold non the less , working on sites , let me tell you , there's not much mild about just yet

Posted

A dry cloudy Foggy night with a low of 1.5c.

Currently; Dry and overcast with light Fog. All snow cover has now melted..

Temp 1.9c

Wind W/N/W 7mph

Rain today 0.0mm

Posted

Temp 3.1C here this morning. Cold and dull as per yesterday.

Minimum overnight of 2.6C

Still some signs of a Scandy this morning on all Models, but no real cold to tap into initially.

UKMO (BBC) showing the low a bit further north, less liklihood of an undercut ,   Infact latest ones show the fronts sweeping right thru west to east this morning.

Still chances though: odds  back to 2:1 this morning. 

MIA

Posted

Still chances though: odds  back to 2:1 this morning. 

MIA

Thanks for the updates MIA. 

I have to be honest, I've temporarily given up looking at the MOD thread whilst we're locked in the current pattern, so these posts are very useful.

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

i have just checked for weather in the spittal of gleenshee.going on friday. The Gleesshee ski centre should be getting heavy snow on Sunday i may see something decent this year. :D

• Like 1

Posted

Another cool day here with a high of 3c, Currently 2.7c & continues overcast.

• Like 1