Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Chances of cold spell further receeded. Now down to 4:1 chance.

The only one seriously inclined is the GEM.

MO splits the low to our west with one portion drifting SE towards SW England and filling.  The main low drifts towards West Scotland. The trough lies NW to SE across us moving slowly East.

What wew need is for the southern low to intensify and move SE along the line of the trough.

Not that likely, but still a hope. 

MIA

Temp down to 3.1C now. Another cloudy cold dull day beckons for tomorrow.. 

• Like 1

Posted

Chances of cold spell further receeded. Now down to 4:1 chance.

The only one seriously inclined is the GEM.

MO splits the low to our west with one portion drifting SE towards SW England and filling.  The main low drifts towards West Scotland. The trough lies NW to SE across us moving slowly East.

What wew need is for the southern low to intensify and move SE along the line of the trough.

Not that likely, but still a hope. 

MIA

Temp down to 3.1C now. Another cloudy cold dull day beckons for tomorrow..

I say opposite GFS 18z is reinforcing the idea of a cold end to Feb. :) whether it can be trusted, who knows but we need this to gain repetition before taking it too seriously but the overall trend is good.

Posted

3-5C day and night with constant cloud, I'd rather have last Feb than this. At least there was some interesting stuff then even if it was the wrong interesting stuff. This current weather is no good for anything or anyone...

Posted

Morning alll,,

Colder here this morning at 2.6C. Still cold and dull. 

Well looks like I got the first part of my 'want' from last night.

The low is starting to dive south south east now and is shown to be over central Ireland by tomorrow. It has now 'intensified' and is the parent low with the other one further north.

So it looks as though the ECM an MO called it first and correct with the GFS still persisting in sending it much further north.

Major problem is the lack of cold on the continent --  still. :sorry:  :sorry:

Just seen the delicious Carol and she is now showing the low slap bang on top of us for sunday, with quite   a decent easterly drag to the north. She is now talking about snow in Cumbria and SW Scotland as the rain comes in.

I do remember in the days of yore how many times rain was forecast then it change to sleet and finally to snow.

So one can still hope as it is 3 days away yet..

My odds up slightly this morning   now back to 2:1 again.  :cc_confused:  :D

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cloudy dry night with light Fog and a low of 1.6c

Currently; Dry and overcast and continuing light Fog, Feeling cool.

Temp 2.3c

Wind West 4mph

Rain today 0.0mm

Posted

Rather grey again today, but a few glimmers of brightness this afternoon. A few hints of a breeze to signal the advancing low pressure system. Temp maxing out at about 4C, the same as yesterday.

Posted

Still overcast and a little Foggy here with a high today of 3.6c, Currently 2.9c and feeling cool. Slowly getting over the flu. Feeling better today after some fresh air..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Still overcast and a little Foggy here with a high today of 3.6c, Currently 2.9c and feeling cool. Slowly getting over the flu. Feeling better today after some fresh air..

warm tomorrow, finally a thaw for you, at last

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just poke my head out side and what's that? Stars! Forgotten what they looked like. Looked like there are some holes in the gunk coming up from the south, going by the satellite...

and here, dropping like a stone

Posted

Still cloudy, though looks to be thinning now (at last). 

Temperature at 2.6C and falling after a max of 4.2C

Conditions for snow look like failing on sat/sun  due to the lack of cold air to the East.

I still think the atmospheric conditions look right for snow, but it will need the low dropping down over us to be a bit further south than is being modelled (say 100miles- come to think of it thats the third time this year) and it is shown to be filling. If it was deepening it would have brought some colder air in from the East. 

Chances now I reckon back to 5:1 (because of lack of cold air around).

However I can still hope!

M :pardon:  :pardon:  :aggressive:  :aggressive:  :rofl:  :diablo:  IA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Christ its like the end of the world over in the MOD....what a crap winter etc etc.....really crap?? I beg to differ.... 10-15 days of laying snow some really bloody good snow falls... ice days loads of frosts and ice scraping of car....how is that a crap winter?? and I had a cold weather payment from dwp today... they are only triggered when the average temp is 0 or below for 7 days or more.... just so you all know we get this due to our sons dla... we are not benefits scroungers....

Posted

Christ its like the end of the world over in the MOD....what a crap winter etc etc.....really crap?? I beg to differ.... 10-15 days of laying snow some really bloody good snow falls... ice days loads of frosts and ice scraping of car....how is that a crap winter?? and I had a cold weather payment from dwp today... they are only triggered when the average temp is 0 or below for 7 days or more.... just so you all know we get this due to our sons dla... we are not benefits scroungers....

After this "winter" I think I now know where the wardrobe is that leads to Narnia. Its somewhere around Leek or Ashbourne. Beyond there is another world of ice and snow that most mere mortals never know about. Wouldnt surprise me if there's a talking lion up there somewhere.......

• Like 2

Posted

It's not really fair to criticise those who have had a crap winter and want to moan about it, particularly when you live in the Peak District. In such a varied country like ours, it's fair enough if people want to have a moan about their weather. It's not going to be the same for everywhere. The location of members is a very important tool when interpreting people's posts.

• Like 1

Posted

I have had half a day where snow was lying.

Crap winter here.

Posted

Morning all...

Temp up to 6.1C here this morning. (much milder)

First spots of light rain in the wind. (09:00)

MIA

Posted

A few clear intervals before cloud rolled in, With a low of 0.9c.

Currently; Breezy with light rain, Enough to wet the ground so far.. Feeling cool in the wind.

Temp 4.8c

Wind S/S/E 15mph

Rain today 0.0mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

*Starts singing Avicii - Wake Me Up*

So wake me up when Winter's over...

The last week has been SO boring Weather wise. I still can't see another cold spell on the cards between now and March. In my mind, Winter is over now.

After this "winter" I think I now know where the wardrobe is that leads to Narnia. Its somewhere around Leek or Ashbourne. Beyond there is another world of ice and snow that most mere mortals never know about. Wouldnt surprise me if there's a talking lion up there somewhere.......

I think it's in Glossop. That place in the 'Midlands' that seems to get tons of snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just a glimpse of the sun around mid-day but now very dull with spits of rain.I's been quite a dull few days here so looking forward to some changes from the Atlantic now.

Glad you are starting to feel better PM. :smile:

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Hope you don't mind a southern interloper butting in but I'm just back from a week in rural Shropshire staying near Ludlow (a foodie's delight). Have to say the weather was uninspiring archetypal midwinter gloom. Monday saw temperatures of 2-3c under cold leaden skies - Tuesday and Wednesday staggered up to 4c and yesterday reached 5c. Plenty of snow on the hills around Ludlow and Much Wenlock and heading over to Bishop's Castle and Welshpool.

Had it been a "clean" HP I suspect there would have been a good deal of fog and possibly ice days under an inversion.

As it was, for three days not a breath of wind to move or disperse the cloud sheet.