Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

You can tell we are not expecting much if any snow as the mood here is :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yes happy Candlemas day to one and all. It was a dry day, So winter will have a sting in the tail as the proverb says.

Posted

Whilst the current outlook is preety benign, with the lack of strong winds/storms, heavy rain, or snow, it is certainly good is you like winter to feel like winter... Its a cold outlook with maxes and mins below seasonal average, mins significantly so. Far far far better than mild westerlies and southwesterly dross, over the top mild southerlies, cloudy raw southeasterlies and easterlies. Its been ages since we have had a sustained settled dry sunny spell, indeed the sunshine is just the tonic at this time of year.. I'm perplexed why there are down faces, its probably because we are the only part of England with no weather warnings and have least chance of snow in the coming days.. its time for the east to have there share for now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters warm summers

I like spring , can get out in garden ,summers better though :)..

I'm with you on that one

Posted

Low ground, around the south of the region, pretty much forget it tonight. Still be a few low clouds and similar temperatures to last night.

Tomorrow morning, we might and thats a big 'if' right now, if we still have really low dp's when the precip tries to slip in from the west

we might see some snow, it depends on the irish sea and what it wants to do 

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Whilst the current outlook is preety benign, with the lack of strong winds/storms, heavy rain, or snow, it is certainly good is you like winter to feel like winter... Its a cold outlook with maxes and mins below seasonal average, mins significantly so. Far far far better than mild westerlies and southwesterly dross, over the top mild southerlies, cloudy raw southeasterlies and easterlies. Its been ages since we have had a sustained settled dry sunny spell, indeed the sunshine is just the tonic at this time of year.. I'm perplexed why there are down faces, its probably because we are the only part of England with no weather warnings and have least chance of snow in the coming days.. its time for the east to have there share for now...

STAHP! 

Posted

Oh I'm just fed up with it doing nothing. It's not been sunny here just dull. No rise or fall in temperature. As such. Stuck between -3. To 1.5. I'm happy that a lot of people are getting snow. But it really isn't doing anything and hasn't since last week. And I checked it out it really is ground hog day. Ha ha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The midlands especially the east is one the best places for weather in the uk i think, snowier than most places, warmer in spring/summer than most places, thunderstorms galore.

Posted

Depends if you said watch out . 10 foot of snow heading your way. I definitely wouldn't believe you. ( mite have a sneaky check on the forecast first though ). :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & lots of it!

Clear skies and temp dropping.....-4c......

Easily below -10 for your part of the Country tonight chief!

Posted

I like this weather but in terms of snow it's been disappointing given the potential. Just too damn marginal (wouldn't have taken much more for some proper snow here). And where are the strong winds to help the showers over the Pennines now that they're coming from the other direction? In fact we may have been on the right side of marginal last week had the NWerly winds not been so strong.

We've struggled for much of winter with the low to our north being too far west, resulting in a longer westerly track and more modified (i.e less cold) air coming our way. All it needed to do was be slightly farther east and we would have had a more direct northerly swinging NWerly into the Irish Sea. And now the damn flow is too straight! Well actually that wouldn't be too much of a problem if all that talk about unstable airflows bringing embedded troughs and polar lows was still going on but barring a surprise we're suddenly looking at a bone-dry outlook.

The one thing to hold onto is that there might be better opportunities to come, but right now Sod's Law rules.

Moan over. At least it's not mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & lots of it!

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but is the lack of frost during this cold spell because the dew temps are so low, hence dryer air?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but is the lack of frost during this cold spell because the dew temps are so low, hence dryer air?

Yup :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Models starting to hint at a cold NW Wind - Look on ECM (currently -2.9C - after a flurry 7pm dry with 40cm snow).

Knew it wouldn't stay dry for long :)Recm2402.gif

Will we get enough amplification upstream though to avoid it being a slushfest and end up a potent blast?, I tend to favour this route though (although it goes against all my principles) because even if it fails its better than having a failed Easterly with a high sat over us and wasting 2 weeks then sinking (this might not waste as much time), plus this route ties in with the strat more although im not liking the strat forecasts at all in FI.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

I really dont know how you read those models!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well as it's looking a bit quiet for our region snow wise, I thought I would post a few snowy pic from the last few days.

post-6315-0-70985400-1422919594_thumb.jppost-6315-0-58376500-1422919606_thumb.jppost-6315-0-81411700-1422919848_thumb.jppost-6315-0-70817000-1422919615_thumb.jppost-6315-0-19979700-1422919627_thumb.jppost-6315-0-27518400-1422919639_thumb.jppost-6315-0-02759300-1422919653_thumb.jppost-6315-0-63695400-1422919676_thumb.jppost-6315-0-55442300-1422919695_thumb.jppost-6315-0-37156500-1422919706_thumb.jppost-6315-0-49511500-1422919713_thumb.jppost-6315-0-97772200-1422919728_thumb.jppost-6315-0-10239600-1422919740_thumb.jppost-6315-0-30312400-1422919753_thumb.jppost-6315-0-62018300-1422919764_thumb.jppost-6315-0-87085900-1422919776_thumb.jppost-6315-0-55345300-1422919816_thumb.jppost-6315-0-27769900-1422919835_thumb.jppost-6315-0-63001800-1422919857_thumb.jp

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A very very brief and basic tutorial on Arctic / polar blasts, im sure you got a lot of of snow on 17th Dec 210, here are the charts in the lead up to that, notice how far up into the Arctic the High heights (bright yellows) got.

archivesnh-2010-12-11-0-0.png?

archivesnh-2010-12-15-12-0.png?

archivesnh-2010-12-16-12-0.png?

And ultimately displaced really frigid cold air south, this was the chart that got the NW coast of England absolutely blasted.

archivesnh-2010-12-18-0-0.png?

Compare that to the feeble effort we have just had.

gfsnh-2015012718-0-6.png?18

gfsnh-2015012818-0-6.png?18

gfsnh-2015012918-0-6.png?18

gfsnh-2015013018-0-6.png?18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

Color = temperature

The dashed line is "the snow line" -5 isotherm (not always needed for snow)

H high pressure and rotates clockwise ie follow the lines round to the right

L low pressure rotates anticlockwise wise follow the lines left and look through what temperature air masses it moves through as both drag air along the iso bars

Tighter the bars the stronger airflow is

Those are extreme basics of the 850 chart