Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted

Lovely day after frosty start ,light breeze making it feel cold ...

feels raw out there

Posted

Shure does ,a lot of unhappy brass monkeys out there !!!.

haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Cold and calm - good but snowless.

Click for a decent snowfix from Sean Mcmahon

post-6879-0-60524700-1423077318_thumb.jp

Halls Fell Ridge on Blencathra - in decent winter conditions a fantastic way up.

As good as it gets.

http://www.stridingedge.net/2015/01/22/blencathra-via-halls-fell-ridge/

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Full moon setting this morning produced a lovely display of anti-crepuscular rays

looks like the February sun is powerful enough to create weak convective cloud

Posted

Heating on full, oven even on cooking and I am sitting here freezing.  Why its worse tonight I don't know, must be colder outside?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

OMG Diane's been on gloating again about how, fortunately we're missing all of the snow and the warnings going with it.

She even cracked a smile about how it was due to come warmer by weekend.

That said though, she did mention that Pennine areas could see a few flurries tomorrow and I had to smile myself when she had a dig at how because there was a chance of some snow in the SE it was a major news issue.

It looks like even forecasters can spot the London and SE self importance bias usually on display when it comes to weather.

Heating on full, oven even on cooking and I am sitting here freezing.  Why its worse tonight I don't know, must be colder outside?

Certainly is nippy out tonight.

Posted

-3c dew -4c cloudy..... No melt again today..... Trying to take wheelie bins down a hill on two inches of solid ice....

Posted

full gear for that one old bean !!!!...

Yes - definately.

...as for Sharp Edge in Alpine conditions - no thanks -  and i'm a veteran (and probably the reason I am still here :D )

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

-3c dew -4c cloudy..... No melt again today..... Trying to take wheelie bins down a hill on two inches of solid ice....

A lot colder than here, we've got mainly clear skies but still above freezing, although only by half a degree so we should drop below within the hour.

Posted

Yes - definately.

...as for Sharp Edge in Alpine conditions - no thanks -  and i'm a veteran (and probably the reason I am still here :D )

Ian

I've done Sharpe Edge a few times in summer and it scared me to death.

Wouldn't go near it with snow and ice.

Posted

same here done striding edge in snow with two of us roped up !!..

The only scramble I've attempted in winter was Jacks Rake on Pavey Ark and that was on the back of it being mild (oh how much I hate that word) in the valley bottom.

At bit of ice up there and I was bricking myself but thankfully the nasty little bit where one wrong foot and you'd fall for the rest of your life was not to bad so we made it through without mishap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters warm summers

Beautiful picture on Granada weather of the snow in Glossop thought of you you lucky buggar ;-)

The only scramble I've attempted in winter was Jacks Rake on Pavey Ark and that was on the back of it being mild (oh how much I hate that word) in the valley bottom.

At bit of ice up there and I was bricking myself but thankfully the nasty little bit where one wrong foot and you'd fall for the rest of your life was not to bad so we made it through without mishap.

yes can be tricky ,several people have fallen to their deaths I believe ..it's is exciting though ,also crinkle crags are bad in winter .. Edited by Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

yes can be tricky ,several people have fallen to their deaths I believe ..it's is exciting though ,also crinkle crags are bad in winter ..

In forces we had to do a fair bit of face work and simulated coming under fire etc, leap of faith. I had the grace of a swan coming down.... but the dynamics of a brick going up!

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Done the Pen_y_Fan in winter fine when we started at the bottom along the top nearly full blizzard conditions making Jacobs ladder interesting to say the least lol

Posted

I've done Sharpe Edge a few times in summer and it scared me to death.

Wouldn't go near it with snow and ice.

We have a common interest in being alive :)

Ian

Posted

yes can be tricky ,several people have fallen to their deaths I believe ..it's is exciting though ,also crinkle crags are bad in winter ..

Jacks rake has plenty of interesting bits but safe to a certain extent climbing the groove and then you are used to being up there - yes I know the bit you mean - we called it "Dinnertime Ledge" once climbed it in a torrential downpour the groove acting as a watercourse (also avoiding a couple of dead sheep for the measure) :bad:

As for the Crinkles I cant see any diffiiculties only navigation or maybe the "bad step" but this can be bypassed.

In winter I wouldn't attempt Sharp Edge and Broad Stand on Scafell.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon