Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Got a friend in Spain posted vid of snow the other day

Posted

This is what fergie tweeted 6 hours ago:

@GUWeather the expectation is for a Thames convergence zone giving circa 1-3cm snow in places before convection weakens there later tonight.

ermmm

Posted

So its game over then. High pressure building and likely to be with us for a while.

Q. Would this benefit us folk in the SE if the high moved north and sat over Scotland and allowing an easterly to develop??

So its game over then. High pressure building and likely to be with us for a while.

Q. Would this benefit us folk in the SE if the high moved north and sat over Scotland and allowing an easterly to develop??

Absolutely some of our best snowfalls come from this situation either from the wind gradient between high and low causing sea effect or from lows pushing up from the continent/travelling south of us introducing moisture into cold air. It can happen without much advance forecasting so never say never

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

What will be will be. I'm really disappointed we / I didn't get the big snow fall or even a light dusting.... And before anyone says it I know this is a weather forum.... But hey guys there are a lot more important things going on. I for one have a quite a few personal things to get out of the way. 2015 for me and my family has started the worse way possible. bring on spring light evenings and then next winter we will have it big time.... Laters peeps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Looking at the latest satellite images, there does seem to be cloud building off the East coast of The Netherlands, which could affect South Essex later on.

I am in NO way saying that a streamer is developing, but it may just cause enough convection to give a dusting in South Essex and North Kent, hence the tweet earlier??

This is what fergie tweeted 6 hours ago:

@GUWeather the expectation is for a Thames convergence zone giving circa 1-3cm snow in places before convection weakens there later tonight.

ermmm

Well that may be the case if that pans out...?

Satellite link: http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

(EDIT: I meant to say WEST coast of The Netherlands... NOT the East coast!!  :sorry: )

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Looking at the latest satellite images, there does seem to be cloud building off the East coast of The Netherlands, which could affect South Essex later on.

I am in NO way saying that a streamer is developing, but it may just cause enough convection to give a dusting in South Essex and North Kent, hence the tweet earlier??

Well that may be the case if that pans out...?

Satellite link: http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Paul S made a good post earlier about why look towards Holland for the snow as they won't last over the North Sea,only if frontal.

probably because i was looking and going on about the Dutch radar, although I wasnt looking for streamers from there tbh but anyway Paul's post very good

EDIT....

This was Paul's post, very informative

You guys do realise you dont need to look at the Dutch Coast for Streamers dont you ? Please tell me you dont think they travel all the way across the North Sea ??

Every single Streamer event has showers initiating within 50-75 miles of our coast in the shallower waters around the Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Kent coasts, the only snow that comes from Holland and Belgium is frontal snows.

I can see a weak streamer setting up in the perfect place atm, about 50 miles off the Coast making a perfect line which is heading WSW At present, granted it is pretty weak but it is there none the less, probably wont settle though lol

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Shame really as the conditions are almost perfect for settling snow. Uppers low, wind flow good, air and dp temp low, ground icy. Just pressure too high. Typical that the best setup all winter is spoilt by HP moving in.

Posted

Argh... :( such a shame. I was ready to stay up tonight but there's nothing on the radars. Guess I'll just .... sleep... boring!!!! :(

Posted

Shame really as the conditions are almost perfect for settling snow. Uppers low, wind flow good, air and dp temp low, ground icy. Just pressure too high. Typical that the best setup all winter is spoilt by HP moving in.

Prittle brook streamer maybe lol ;) 

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

At least we were lucky enough to have a thin covering tonight here and for that I am happy! Even if i have seen harder frosts. Heres Hoping for another cold snd snowy spell before winters demise :-)

Posted

I've lost my Mojo, or is that my MJO signal for bed ;)

Posted

Blahhh... this is getting boring... roll on hot summer and intense storm activity... yes I am an intense weather geek :)

Posted

Blahhh... this is getting boring... roll on hot summer and intense storm activity... yes I am an intense weather geek :)

Agree, let's bring on the lighter nights and early warmth :D

Posted

Light snow here again in Croydon, Surrey and settling in places

Stopped now. I've said it before but the new white lamp posts are so much better for desperate snow watch.

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

What will be will be. I'm really disappointed we / I didn't get the big snow fall or even a light dusting.... And before anyone says it I know this is a weather forum.... But hey guys there are a lot more important things going on. I for one have a quite a few personal things to get out of the way. 2015 for me and my family has started the worse way possible. bring on spring light evenings and then next winter we will have it big time.... Laters peeps

Hope that things improve for you as 2015 goes on. Kind regards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Temp 0.8c

Dp -4c

No snow!!

I knew we were missing something lol

Posted

We really have been ruffed up down here this winter, its the law of the sod!

Pretty much all the ENE Or EENE Or Easterly or indeed a rare ESE Streamer a few years back which dumps snow by the bucket load in Herts and NW London as opposed to the SE & SW Of London have had Pressure High between Iceland and Norway and Pressure Low over the near Continent. The Difference this time was the Low was just too far South East to affect us and the tighter gradient winds were at their Northern Extent running through the Channel which gave the North West Coast of France and the Channel Islands very strong radar returns tonight.

In an ideal set-up the -10 to -15c Uppers advect in from Germany, Belgium etc and winds are quite Strong, the Low Pressure (Near enough to our SE) gives ample instability and with SST's at 9-11c this time of year creates very large showers in trains between 50-100 miles off our coasts in the warmer shallower waters ( A mini Lake Effect Snow Set-Up) That type of Set-Up typically can release upto 500jkg of Cape which is ample for Thundersnow as seen in SE Essex on the 17th December 2009 and 15th December 2010, Cloud Tops in the February 2nd 2009 spell reached upto 25kt (Impressive even for Summer Thunderstorms)

We were just undone by mere hundreds of miles today, we can only give an idea of what the models put in front of us at 3-4 days range and work off that really, another year it might look like we wont get affected but everything falls into place, just not this time.

My own personal thoughts are still of High moving eastwards over time and sitting to the East of the Uk in the next 7-10 days, this is also a dangerous thing though with the possibility of the High sinking south eastwards into Europe and us getting milder southerlies around the anticyclone. The one thing I am bouyed by is the insistance on most models of very low pressure and disturbed weather in the Eastern Med for the foreseeable, with that Low down there our High has at least a sporting chance of being propped up and maybe just maybe settle into a better position nearer to Scandi or Germany over the next fortnight.

Its not over yet and I wont throw in the towel for a while yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Managed to have a fun time snow chasing with Tamara this afternoon. We decided to get a bus from where we're staying, between Camber and Lydd,on the Kent/Sussex coastal border and headed NE for Capel-le-Ferne, high on the East Kent Downs,between Folkestone and Dover, at around 170m asl.

Just caught the bus with seconds to spare, with poor Tams lagging behind, thereby avoiding an hour long wait for the next one! As the hour and half journey got underway we began looking for signs of an increase in convective type cloud structures to our NE, we noticed a couple of showers away to our north, which were throwing down wispy shafts of a wintry mix. We went through a light graupel shower at New Romney and then a light sleety/snow shower at Hythe but at this time temperatures were still marginal.

As we approached Folkestone I commented to Tams that the NE horizon didn't appear too promising but once the bus climbed Dover Hill and entered the outskirts of Capel, the skyline changed dramatically, away to our NE. A wall of uniform grey/whiteish cloud was advancing towards Capel, with an angry wall cloud looking structure away to our north, with inky blue clouds scudding by, thundery looking in nature - no doubt the same cell that Truthspeaker reported on around 2 pm on the NE Kent coast, that gave thunder.

We just had time to buy ourselves some crisps and chocolate, from the local store, when that cell
reached Capel. A walk along the cliff top revealed a downdraft wall of snow, making its way silently out into the Channel, with another portion of that cell about to hit us directly.

Within minutes snow was falling thick and fast, with visibility greatly reduced by a swirling mass of
snowflakes, engulfing the area.

Below are some of the photos we managed to capture and to our surprise,on our return to base at sea-level, the same line of cells had left even more of a light snow-cover, than at Capel-le-Ferne, where snow had settled mainly on grass, cars and rooftops.

Just before the snow

post-2739-0-39255700-1423179173_thumb.jp       post-2739-0-95557500-1423179196_thumb.jp

It arrives!

post-2739-0-24045200-1423179348_thumb.jp       post-2739-0-39813600-1423179384_thumb.jp       post-2739-0-53650100-1423179417_thumb.jp

Proof of whereabouts!

post-2739-0-37063900-1423179448_thumb.jp

A break in the showers - including looking down from the cliffs towards Folkestone as the sun peeps between the clouds

post-2739-0-11261800-1423179475_thumb.jp      post-2739-0-33868900-1423179504_thumb.jp   post-2739-0-16194600-1423179538_thumb.jp

post-2739-0-78970300-1423179568_thumb.jp

Finally, last but not least looking out of the kitchen to the back garden back at base close to Camber Sands close to sea level

post-2739-0-67327700-1423179601_thumb.jp

Regards

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Time to dream. There is the tiniest bit of PPN in the estuary and this will obviously explode into a huge Thames Streamer and cover all of London and surrounds with feet of snow. Shall I continue to dream or just go to bed and forget about it? This can't be the end of any snow chances for this winter - it's only early February and we possibly have up to two weeks of dross and that leaves at least another week of of February. I can't believe many of you have thrown the towel in so early. I'm with Paul S on this - for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Very light snow here, tiny flakes at a rate of 7 a minute  :p

Posted

That wind is certainly picking up.....a right old windchill !!!