Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Clear start to the day here. No frost by the looks of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Lovely day here, says 6*c but feels warmer in the sun tbh

So quiet in here now compared to last week LOL...Where is all the gfuqhgfpjhing

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Yup,another gorgeous,chilly winters day here.Wall to wall sunshine.

Far from the 'cloudy high' that some folk seemed certain it would be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunny spells here, temperatures generally around the 7/8C mark. Somewhere in this region could hit double figures this afternoon. Certainly the case in parts of Eastern Scotland and NE England.

Very pleasant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

More days like today please...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Getting a reading of 11C here not sure if its accurate but it feels warm, it has that early spring but cold wind kind of feel. Although its quite depressing that the average* summer temperature around here is only 10c warmer...

I also heard somewhere London is the largest city with the least difference between summer and winter mean temperatures?

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I would imagine that's about right looking at Wunderground observations Mesoscale.

Here it's currently 8.2*c and feels slightly warmer in the Sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Misty start this morning, then cloudy with sunny spells, high of 8.9, now 7.2. Very little wind around. Cloudy.

Posted

The nearest weather stations to me Cambridge/Southend are around the 9/10C mark, so it looks like some parts of the region have hit double figures today. Feels lovely outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Temp topped out here at 9.2 today and I don't think I've seen a cloud all day, bootiful 😊

Edited by MarcB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

What a cracker of a day... How can you not like this weather

Stuck under cloud and mist all day takes the shine off!

Posted

Days like today just make you yearn for Spring. Not for more cold or snow....roll on Spring...had enough of winter now tbh

Posted

I remember when it reached 19c in February. 1998 I think? It was sensational. Pub lunches in the garden and all that. Wonderful, wonderful

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Sky cleared about an hour ago, now fog is setting in. temp 3.3, not much wind about.

Posted

Winter never got rolling IMHO - it seems like its becoming harder to get any meaningful cold in this country. Charts do not inspire much faith, it was nice today however it is more suited for Spring, I did feel the slight heart of the sun on my trousers, knowing our luck we will get a very wet Spring to compensate a very dry February. Be careful for what you wish for. I think we could seek out one more cold spell before its too late.

Posted

Winter never got rolling IMHO - it seems like its becoming harder to get any meaningful cold in this country. Charts do not inspire much faith, it was nice today however it is more suited for Spring, I did feel the slight heart of the sun on my trousers, knowing our luck we will get a very wet Spring to compensate a very dry February. Be careful for what you wish for. I think we could seek out one more cold spell before its too late.

You might be right. But at the end of the day the weather does what it does, independent of what we want or don't want. The winters have changed over the years for sure. I'm in my late forties so can remember the late 70s and 80s winters clearly. EVERY year had at least one big snow event in the South East without fail. With proper ice days, so the snow stuck around for a while too. Plus icicles, which you very rarely see these days. And ironically, without all the computer models, weathermen seemed so accurate with their forecast a few days ahead. Might be because we had proper Easterlies in place at the time, which probably made precipitation more easily to predict. OR I'm looking at things through rose tinted spectacles?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

All this talk of spring is well premature IMO, enjoy it while it lasts folks as a mid Atlantic Block in a couple of weeks will come as a shock to the system. :=)

Posted

Roy times have changed but that doesn't mean they can revert back, what you see over time is fluctuations. The planet has warmed and I reckon this has something to do with it and the oceans correspond. Back then the general public were oblivious to impending cold spells, so we were never had certain high expectations or disappointed with the outcome, this was before the internet was introduced. I think it would save my sanity, personally I believe a cold spell will go into history before this decade is out. My mum born in the 1950's mentioned how frequent the severe cold winters were as a young girl into adolescence, clothes on washing line would freeze rock hard, ground remained frozen for weeks/months. Winters were brutal and at times life threatening. Her mother & father did not have much but they done whatever they could to keep her happy. My mum had a tin bath her mother had a slip and suffered a fractured hip (ouch!) - She never had much at all but a slice of cake and she was happy, isn't that magical? nowadays its all about gadgets and so called celebrities, but having these small little home comforts - along with your nearest and dearest are the best you can ask for. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I think the trouble is since 2010 people expect too much from our winters and expect everyone to be a repeat. Let's be fair if you lived in main land Spain or Greece for example this winter would go down as the coldest in 40 years. It's basically how the cards are going to fall to see if your in the luck or not.

Posted

Roy times have changed but that doesn't mean they can revert back, what you see over time is fluctuations. The planet has warmed and I reckon this has something to do with it and the oceans correspond. Back then the general public were oblivious to impending cold spells, so we were never had certain high expectations or disappointed with the outcome, this was before the internet was introduced. I think it would save my sanity, personally I believe a cold spell will go into history before this decade is out. My mum born in the 1950's mentioned how frequent the severe cold winters were as a young girl into adolescence, clothes on washing line would freeze rock hard, ground remained frozen for weeks/months. Winters were brutal and at times life threatening. Her mother & father did not have much but they done whatever they could to keep her happy. My mum had a tin bath her mother had a slip and suffered a fractured hip (ouch!) - She never had much at all but a slice of cake and she was happy, isn't that magical? nowadays its all about gadgets and so called celebrities, but having these small little home comforts - along with your nearest and dearest are the best you can ask for. :)

Yep, I agree with nearly everything you said here Daniel. Just not sure about a historical cold spell before the end of the decade? Only four more winters to go, so the odds are against us. But time will tell.  But one thing's for sure, I don't know how the BBC weather presenters would come up with new superlatives if it did happen. I mean, they overhyped the latest "cold" spell. So I don't know what words instead of "bitter" they could use, if it really was bitter.