Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Could i see some snow at home ?.................. arrgghhhh i cant handle it !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Could i see some snow at home ?.................. arrgghhhh i cant handle it !!!

think you will

Posted

This is going to be a near run thing for Streatham.  Pretty much South of central London but with a SW post code.

Needs that little curve.  Looks good for Berks and Surrey.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

not sure if anyone has said anything about it.but the moon is stunning tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Well in the battle of the short range models, Euro 4 has absolutely trounced the NMM, which was way too far East with its snow predictions.

Happy for all the folks who are seeing snow tonight, but wondering what on earth it will take to ever get anything here that isn't slushy tripe.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The upper steering winds are forecast to be ever so slightly NNE whereas the surface winds are forecast to be NNW. If we get an area where the surface winds are converging coinciding with upper winds diverging then we could see extra uplift. Waiting for the NMM4 18Z run to see the latest profiles.

Posted

What a terrific moon halo in Reading this evening! Best I've ever seen and great to look at! Unfortunately it's hard to capture with any normal camera. 

I believe it's something to do with the moon's light refracting off ice crystals, creating the halo, where the sky within is actually darker than the rest of the sky. It is also suggestive of precipitation in the next few hours which as the radar shows will be snow! Unfortunately the blob in the radar right now will begin to fizzle out and become much more showery in nature so max 1 or 2 cm here. But any snow falling won't have trouble settling after a freezing cold day. Just a shame the snowfall has to be at 3 in the morning again! 

In term of optimum conditions for snow

This current timing is about as good as we can deliver out of a mediocre Northerly

-8c uppers

-4c dewpoints

0c to -3c surface temps.

As the PPN arrives the dewpoint rises to -2, so you get something like -2c DP, -1c ST - which will deliver the 'alpine' snow-  dry & fluffy type- easy to accumulate.

In the last 15 mins the western end of the PPN over Wolverhampton heading to Worcester has just evaporated into nothing where as the eastern side along the streamer continues to develop.

Immediate attention to herts into North London, then 1 hour behind move east into North Essex - if it holds together then south Essex & NW kent-

S

S

Posted

Yes I've put the NMM overlays on and it should steer more directly South soon and slightly ESE too, maybe East Berkshire and outskirts of London will see the highest accumulations after all. I AM NOT WRITING OFF THE EVENT FOR US HOWEVER, folks. Radar watching is key now and following the animation will give best guidance over this developing situation.

^^ 412 users reading this thread! :)

Posted
In the last 15 mins the western end of the PPN over Wolverhampton heading to Worcester has just evaporated into nothing where as the eastern side along the streamer continues to develop.

Immediate attention to herts into North London, then 1 hour behind move east into North Essex - if it holds together then south Essex & NW kent-

S

S

There is some hope for us after-all then. :D

Posted

Snowing really heavily in MK at the minute. Nice covering on everywhere and still coming down hard. Looks like a Possibility of more showers working in overnight so might see a couple of inches by morning :D

What side of town are you?

I am on the east side.

I hadn't seen any radars, forecasts etc for a couple of days, so loving the snow surprise.

post-20787-0-86390400-1422914717_thumb.j

Posted

Bright orange lumious lights - Gritter gone past his usual routine in the past few days it seems. it is dry as bone so no risk of ice. I'm encouraged PPN is losing the westerly element.

Correcting typo

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

where's the snow cup ?????????????????????  :D