Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/03/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

All the dates mentioned were awesome days, but the 23 July 2013 tops it for me. Non stop thunder and lightning for 7 hours from 23:00 till 07:00!!

And yep Meso, I remember the June 2009 storm. I remember Wimbledon being on and the camera often heading away from the tennis court and observing some cracking CG's striking to the North with wembley stadium being visible at the same time. Places such as Hitchin and Luton got hit hard big time.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

All the dates mentioned were awesome days, but the 23 July 2013 tops it for me. Non stop thunder and lightning for 7 hours from 23:00 till 07:00!!

Yep, 23 July 2013 and 19 July 2014 were the best for me. 23 July 2013 brought me a really big surprise thunderstorm just after sunrise, which I was totally not expecting and 19 July 2014 delivered a beautiful overnighter that I will never, ever forget! To add to it, July 2013 and July 2014 were brilliant weather months overall.

28 June 2012 on the other hand, was a complete non-event for me, locally. The entire day delievered one cloud fart and that was it, apart from drizzle. It was a miserable epitaph to an otherwise dire month.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I think the 6th August storm people are mentioning was actually in 2008. Although very warm, 6th August 2006 was dry and sunny. 2008 however had a shallow trough just to the west of the UK pumping moist humid air up to the UK. 

archives-2006-8-6-12-0.png

archives-2008-8-6-12-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I think the 6th August storm people are mentioning was actually in 2008. Although very warm, 6th August 2006 was dry and sunny. 2008 however had a shallow trough just to the west of the UK pumping moist humid air up to the UK. 

archives-2006-8-6-12-0.png

archives-2008-8-6-12-0.png

Yup, it was 2008 apologies.

Storms rolled on through for a good 4 hours with some very frequent lightning at times - during its peak it was flashing every 2-3 seconds.

MetO just issued a wind advisory for the SE associated with the anticipated squall...nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Storms rolled on through for a good 4 hours with some very frequent lightning at times - during its peak it was flashing every 2-3 seconds.MetO just issued a wind advisory for the SE associated with the anticipated squall...nice!

You are right I think it was in June 2006 then maybe the 14th? I was on my way home from Asda with my mum and there was a very dark cloud to the south of us and she joking said wouldn't it be funny If there was a massive lightning strike (I used to be terrified of storms and I was 11) and there was a huge lightning strike haha possibly one of the scariest times of my life, I was really bad. I think it helped me over come being scared of storms because after that I can't remember any times I was scared of thunder.

post-12025-0-85391800-1432897234_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Ooh, I see them on Lightning Maps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

For a minute I thought I could be in America watching a storm unfold but I'm not.. I'm in England where we get wonderful cloudscape but nothing more!

attachicon.gifDSC_0679.JPG

Lol, it's only in the UK that we get apocalyptic skies that do absolutely.....nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Couldn't agree more I got a time-lapse of last weekend when we had that slight risk of a sharp shower or rumble and we had amazing sky's that dropped drizzle

Exactly. Massive, dark, brooding clouds that anywhere else I've been in the world would produce a ton of rain/hail/lightning etc....here, drizzle. It doesn't even seem to rain properly anymore lol...what a dreary Spring indeed. Come on Summer!! We need sun...heat...and storms!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Exactly. Massive, dark, brooding clouds that anywhere else I've been in the world would produce a ton of rain/hail/lightning etc....here, drizzle. It doesn't even seem to rain properly anymore lol...what a dreary Spring indeed. Come on Summer!! We need sun...heat...and storms!

In 2014 I saw some mammatus-like clouds. They were really grey-almost black and produced...

...4-5 spots of rain (small drops). Roll on Summer!!!

• Like 2

Posted

Storms rolled on through for a good 4 hours with some very frequent lightning at times - during its peak it was flashing every 2-3 seconds.MetO just issued a wind advisory for the SE associated with the anticipated squall...nice!

• Like 1

Posted

Another fine example of England's menacing yet friendly clouds.. It's like a backwards gremlin..

attachicon.gifDSC_0682.JPG

Nice pic Surrey! I remember a friend from the States visiting a few years ago. We had a few days of very menacing looking skies, so much so that my friend asked if we had storm cellars and tornadoes in the UK! It didn't even rain.....

Posted

Less showers than yesterday here but probably better cloudscapes (if it makes sense)

Posted

Still erring on the side of caution on this projected warm spell coming up, which would lead to the potential plume. A lot of uncertainty with the track of these deep lows that are set to come through. My biggest fear would be for them to come too far South and stop a pressure rise up from the South and keep this endless Northwesterly going  :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Still erring on the side of caution on this projected warm spell coming up, which would lead to the potential plume. A lot of uncertainty with the track of these deep lows that are set to come through. My biggest fear would be for them to come too far South and stop a pressure rise up from the South and keep this endless Northwesterly going  :angry:

The GFS 12z might make people smile, high twenties or even 30C possible by next Friday with cape values through the roof.

• Like 3

Posted

The GFS 12z might make people smile, high twenties or even 30C possible by next Friday with cape values through the roof.

Yes! Was not expecting that at all looking at the run roll out from the beginning! A slight westward shift on the 12z by no more than a few hundred miles has made all the difference!! This run is a stonker  :diablo:  :yahoo:

• Like 1