Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Steady on. I've had mine on for a couple of weeks and the day time warmth is making them quite soft...

Maybe it depends on when you are needing your rubber hard?  :wink:

I drive to work in the morning when it's still cold. As of tomorrow (cool, an extra free hour of beer before bed!), will be heading home in the dark when T is heading down for the evening.

So car sits most of the warm part of the day outside the office. I contrast, I understand you're flying about at different times of the day(?).

While my summers corner like I'm on rails from modestly mild upwards, even in the wet, I'll be like a drunk elephant on roller skates if I get caught in 0.5 mm of snaw with these on.

Anyway, I'm officially bored of autumn. 

Putting on the winters is an important moment. Means I'm ready for chart watching for snaw. Let's call it an annual ritual.  :)

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Maybe it depends on when you are needing your rubber hard?  :wink:

I drive to work in the morning when it's still cold. As of tomorrow (cool, an extra free hour of beer before bed!), will be heading home in the dark when T is heading down for the evening.

So car sits most of the warm part of the day outside the office. I contrast, I understand you're flying about at different times of the day(?).

While my summers corner like I'm on rails from modestly mild upwards, even in the wet, I'll be like a drunk elephant on roller skates if I get caught in 0.5 mm of snaw with these on.

Anyway, I'm officially bored of autumn. 

Putting on the winters is an important moment. Means I'm ready for chart watching for snaw. Let's call it an annual ritual.  :)

Have you ever tried all season tyres? Vredestein Quatracs (which I've had and liked apart from the wear rate) are pretty good at everything except hardpack snow (and slick ice), and there are the newer Nokian Weatherproofs (which I haven't tried yet) that claim to be more of a winter tyre that doesn't disintegrate in the warmth.

Regarding times of my driving, I'm out at all hours from 6am till 2am.  I'm on primary routes, back roads (some of which are never treated in winter, and unbound surfaces including old estate tracks, Forestry Commission roads and newly built roads for utilities.  Sea level to 650m. Etc.  Swapping tyres is a necessary task whose timing is always tricky because a cold couple of weeks in early autumn can be followed by a really mild spell that can wear out winter tyres at a silly rate if you suddenly find yourself with a lot of driving.  When are we going to get accurate seasonal forecasts???

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

1c this morning with a ground frost.Snow capped hills to the west and north.  A less than perfect photo of a snow capped Ben Wyvis emerging from cloud. post-2744-0-57483900-1445765833_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

1c this morning with a ground frost.Snow capped hills to the west and north.  A less than perfect photo of a snow capped Ben Wyvis emerging from cloud. attachicon.gifPA250433.JPG

I always like your photos NL, it's nice to have a window on other parts of the world :D

My window on the world this morning has been out the car windscreen looking at all of Scotland between here and Kilmacolm, and back. Fairly flat boring day across all parts, a bit of hazy sun but that's it. Roll on some storms, some frost and hopefully loads of snow :) Charts look a bit neither here nor there in the next ten days, but I'm sure the weather will start weathering at some point soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Proper Autumn weather this week, lots of wind and bucket loads of rain. Still not that cold either which is fine by me. Big fire on in sitting room whilst Himself tackles the central heating.  Thermostat removed and new one required. Hopefully within the next week that should be sorted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

I always like your photos NL, it's nice to have a window on other parts of the world :D

My window on the world this morning has been out the car windscreen looking at all of Scotland between here and Kilmacolm, and back. Fairly flat boring day across all parts, a bit of hazy sun but that's it. Roll on some storms, some frost and hopefully loads of snow :) Charts look a bit neither here nor there in the next ten days, but I'm sure the weather will start weathering at some point soon.

How long does that take you? And what roads do you go on? (Just out of interest) as I'm under the impression 'Kilmacolm' is just west of Glasgow... A truly horrendous location for you. I'd far rather travel north/south (vice versa) than West/East etc.... Manchester just over 2, Stirling 1hr 45, Glasgow barely 1hr, whereas, Kelso is a good 90 mins maybe even 2 hours (never driven it), Stanraer is an atrocious 2 - 2 1/2hrs an Newcastle a good 2 hours also. Got to Somerset in 3 1/2 by contrast

So my point is, .... making that journey regularly!

For some reason a longer journey but travelling much faster on motorway is more enjoyable for me (no clue why).

Anyway, on topic.....

Been a good September and October. Can't complain, grass growth is still good and very green in nature (for time of year). Horses are still not in at nights which I think is the latest I've known it at my current house (7 years and probably longer). Some 5/6 weeks later than the poor wet years.

Looks like turning wetter but not biblically so (yet)...

Let's get this boring 3/4 weeks out the way and then we can look forward to winter proper arriving... Or at least it will arrive on some rogue model run!!!

Our boiler is broken so I'm getting in the festive spirit with every room bar the kitchen sitting at around 12c... Fantastic!

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Have you ever tried all season tyres? 

If you mean the new types that are emerging that are a hybrid between what we used to think of as all seasons and what are actual winters...

I fitted some of these from Hankook to Mrs SS's car earlier this year. She doesn't do many miles / much if any motorway driving, so seemed an ideal solution. Decent at modest speeds on dry summer roads / don't wear out like mad, yet also not bad at all in the snaw, although not as good as full winters.

Not had a chance to test them on snaw, ice etc, but came recommended by a mate for that.

Not sure they are for me, as I like summers in summer and winters in winter. I'm just uncompromising like that.  :)

---

Weather-wise... starting to want the fire on more and more at night now. Chill in the air today.

Only been a couple of C about that magic 7 C which marks tyre change time...

Posted

If you mean the new types that are emerging that are a hybrid between what we used to think of as all seasons and what are actual winters...

I fitted some of these from Hankook to Mrs SS's car earlier this year. She doesn't do many miles / much if any motorway driving, so seemed an ideal solution. Decent at modest speeds on dry summer roads / don't wear out like mad, yet also not bad at all in the snaw, although not as good as full winters.

Not had a chance to test them on snaw, ice etc, but came recommended by a mate for that.

Not sure they are for me, as I like summers in summer and winters in winter. I'm just uncompromising like that.  :)

---

Weather-wise... starting to want the fire on more and more at night now. Chill in the air today.

Only been a couple of C about that magic 7 C which marks tyre change time...

Yeah, all season tyres - they've been around as a poor compromise for years but some of the manufacturers - no advertising here - have upped their games and are starting to produce true all seasons that are doing as well as the winters and summers under test conditions...  I may be tempted when my current winters wear out.  The twice-yearly hassle is getting to be a bit of a drag...

How long does that take you? And what roads do you go on? (Just out of interest) as I'm under the impression 'Kilmacolm' is just west of Glasgow... A truly horrendous location for you. I'd far rather travel north/south (vice versa) than West/East etc.... Manchester just over 2, Stirling 1hr 45, Glasgow barely 1hr, whereas, Kelso is a good 90 mins maybe even 2 hours (never driven it), Stanraer is an atrocious 2 - 2 1/2hrs an Newcastle a good 2 hours also. Got to Somerset in 3 1/2 by contrast

So my point is, .... making that journey regularly!

For some reason a longer journey but travelling much faster on motorway is more enjoyable for me (no clue why).

Kilmacolm is a reasonable way past Glasgow, just under 20 miles. It's 106 miles from this house, then 106 miles back. Up the A697 and A68 towards Edinburgh, then along the A720, mate, past the Airport and up the A737. Well over half of it is motorway or dual carriageway. The A68 is a decent road, even the A697 (it's the old Edinburgh - London road) is a fast road when it's quiet. If there's no traffic you can do it in under 2 hours without breaking the speed limit, it's the traffic which kills it. I go up and get my boys every second Friday after work, it can anything from 2.5 to 4 hours going up and then 2.5 back, but dropping them back on a Sunday is always quick. I've managed to avoid getting held up with snow (e.g. at Harthill or Soutra), that's down to a combination of rubbish winters for the last few years and paying attention to weather forecasts and then travelling either earlier or later than normal.

It's uncanny the number of times I go up and it starts raining at the eastern outskirts of Glasgow, MrsC always notices it a lot more than me.

Posted

It's uncanny the number of times I go up and it starts raining at the eastern outskirts of Glasgow, MrsC always notices it a lot more than me.

That used to be a running joke between Mrs SS and I.

In the past, she used to get Ryanair from Prestwick to Paris 'Beauvais'; her family being French.

After numerous trips, she finally turns to me on one and asks innocently 'Why does it always start to rain when we get near Glasgow?'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well looking forward for the next 10 days on the BBC Weather website for this area, for the next 10 days we're looking at mainly cloudy, a little rain and very little sun if the forecast is accurate. Add to that a max temp of no more than 12C, a min of no lower than 5C, in fact the temp only varying by a degree or two either side of 10C for large parts of the period.

Not exactly awful compared to what we could be seeing, but far from inspiring. Doesn't really suit the 'coldies' or the 'mildies'. Lets hope for something to mix the forecast up a bit before I succumb to 'weather boredom'.

Well looking forward for the next 10 days on the BBC Weather website for this area, for the next 10 days we're looking at mainly cloudy, a little rain and very little sun if the forecast is accurate. Add to that a max temp of no more than 12C, a min of no lower than 5C, in fact the temp only varying by a degree or two either side of 10C for large parts of the period.

Not exactly awful compared to what we could be seeing, but far from inspiring. Doesn't really suit the 'coldies' or the 'mildies'. Lets hope for something to mix the forecast up a bit before I succumb to 'weather boredom'.

Euro4 going for mild fog tomorrow, all day in some areas.

15102715_2600.gif

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Euro4 going for mild fog tomorrow, all day in some areas.

15102715_2600.gif

Well that's wrong. It doesn't show this area being foggy but in reality this morning it's grey and horrible. That mixture of heavy mist and drizzle when you can't actually work out whether it's just misty or actually raining lightly too. I'd take a good Autumn storm over this muck any day.

Posted

Lovely summers day fresh south wind blue skies and a  maximum of 15c. Ground drying up fast again and grass growing as well,cows nibbling away at the new shoots,  even turnips seem to be greening up again and bulbs still expanding but as an  old former employee of mine said yesterday " Aye we"ll pay for it yet" Trees still very colourful. If only the main summer months had been as good but at least we are only using small amounts of winter feed.One of the advantages of having the Cairngorms to the south and us in the rain shadow with a descending warming drying southerly wind.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

A breezy and very dull day today near Thurso, cars had lights on all day.  Driving back towards Bettyhill late afternoon and some fuzzily-defined breaks appeared to show a deep blue sky with some scattered lenticulars that soon picked up some orange beams from the horizon - quite a treat after such an overcast day.  We could really do with a sunny day soon because the heaths are at the most vivid just now, classic 'hills on fire' time.

• Like 1

Posted
Have you ever tried all season tyres? Vredestein Quatracs (which I've had and liked apart from the wear rate) are pretty good at everything except hardpack snow (and slick ice), and there are the newer Nokian Weatherproofs (which I haven't tried yet) that claim to be more of a winter tyre that doesn't disintegrate in the warmth.

HC (or anyone for that matter) got any experience of Vredestein Snowtrac 3s or 5s? Weighing up between them and Firestone Winterhawks at present, the Snowtrac's have rave reviews for snow / ice performance, but the Winterhawks appear to be a better tyre in the wet. If anyone's got an experience of the Snowtracs and how they compared to their summer tyres on cool wet roads I'd appreciate some feedback! Ta.

Posted

Heard the term dreich used more than once today, here's why: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

No matter the time of year you can count on an easterly to deliver rubbish weather (here)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! So mild again up here, currently 12.7c, cloudy and calm. Saturday looks interesting though, a wee puff and some sideways rain too! Ah, back to the joys of a real Scottish autumn!

Posted

HC (or anyone for that matter) got any experience of Vredestein Snowtrac 3s or 5s? Weighing up between them and Firestone Winterhawks at present, the Snowtrac's have rave reviews for snow / ice performance, but the Winterhawks appear to be a better tyre in the wet. If anyone's got an experience of the Snowtracs and how they compared to their summer tyres on cool wet roads I'd appreciate some feedback! Ta.

No, not tried either of those. Wintracs are good but I don't know how they differ from the Snowtrac.

Posted

Heard the term dreich used more than once today, here's why: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

No matter the time of year you can count on an easterly to deliver rubbish weather (here)!

I'm glad at least some of you are benefiting from some decent weather at the moment but I'm with Hawesy on this one. Again this morning it's heavy mist or fog with varying intensities of drizzle. Surprisingly strong breeze too considering the fog, but I suppose it's the breeze that's dragging the fog in off the North Sea. Temperature has pretty much flat-lined around 11C for the last 2 days, day and night.

Posted

Worst day weather wise in a long time. Been going between drizzle and heavier rain

Posted

Today's weather could barely have been more depressing if it had rained all day. Dreary dreary crap from first light till dusk and probably the same still but I'll be buggered if I'm going to open the curtains to look....

Posted

Well I suppose you could call this morning an improvement, as in the drizzle is lighter and more intermittent. I can actually see the sheet of grey cloud too rather than just a general murk and much stiffer breeze than recently. Temperature graph has got to nearly 3 days of straight-lining around the 11C mark, but if the forecast is correct and the skies clear we might see the temperature do an overnight drop for a welcome bit of variation.

Models continue to show a sea of blandness for the foreseeable.