Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Morning all,

Beautiful start to the day. Still some way off recording an air frost here in Crail but lowest reading of the season so far this morning at 5.3c. Leuchars much chillier at 1.7c.

• Like 2

Posted

Great day here too.   -1c at 6.30am newly dug ground had a frozen crust and  thin ice in water troughs. Good base building for you know what!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-3'C here last night which is actually pretty cold for October!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Someone had been through today's posts and ticked them all, so I did too...

No frost here (back to snivelization now) but we rarely get one at all in October.  Just picked a half-decent crop of damsons, rather late but pretty good all the same.

Is there any consensus on which way winter's heading yet or are we still looking at the quantity of rowanberries and whether your favourite weather lady is looking hotter than usual?

And that's the winter tyres fitted... I took these off in April and they're barely legal so maybe get some more on order soon - lots of driving in not so coastal places this winter...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Autumn starts on Thursday.. :)

post-12319-0-18176400-1445155097_thumb.p

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Aye well, it had to put in an appearance sometime! Cloudy and cool here this morning, currently 9.9c. Still dry, so I'd best get on and make the most of it!

• Like 1

Posted

Aye well, it had to put in an appearance sometime! Cloudy and cool here this morning, currently 9.9c. Still dry, so I'd best get on and make the most of it!

Good. As long as it doesn't hang around till July next year!

• Like 3

Posted

Harvest drawing to a close on a very dull cool almost misty day.Young Mr. Northernlights taking in some of tha last fields balespost-2744-0-64531300-1445194071_thumb.jppost-2744-0-62010800-1445194125_thumb.jp

A photo too of one of the green plums post-2744-0-05919500-1445194088_thumb.jpfrom Julys late blossom and also  one of the  post-2744-0-63587700-1445194003_thumb.jp  clematis that are now flowering profusely

• Like 5

Posted

Back in Scotland from my exploits down in Weymouth ;) Hope everybody is well. Weather wise it was a case of sunny starts but clouding over type of situations day by day. Got 1 or 2 pics of the weather at least which i'll put on at 1 point when I get sleep ;)

Tis but a breeze PM :D

There's some fairly breezy and wet weather to get through between now and then too, here's the Euro4 for tomorrow night:

post-2844-0-51458400-1445240215_thumb.gi

Posted

Harvest drawing to a close on a very dull cool almost misty day.Young Mr. Northernlights taking in some of tha last fields balesattachicon.gif20151018 (2).jpgattachicon.gif20151018.jpg

A photo too of one of the green plums attachicon.gif20151018 (3).jpgfrom Julys late blossom and also  one of the  attachicon.gifIMG_8970_2.JPG  clematis that are now flowering profusely

Hmm we have plums and clematis but no flowers or green fruit - and young HC doesn't drive a tractor either!

We've gone from calm blue skies to calm grey skies now.  Roll on autumn please, this dreary rubbish belongs elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning for gales or severe gales issued for the far north of Scotland

Issued at: 1019 on Tue 20 Oct 2015

Valid from: 0100 on Thu 22 Oct 2015

Valid to: 1800 on Thu 22 Oct 2015

Southwesterly winds will strengthen to gale or severe gale force in the early hours of Thursday morning, before veering westerly during the day. Gusts will reach 55-65 mph quite widely within the warning area, while over Orkney and the North Coast of Sutherland and Caithness, they may reach around 70 mph for a time. The gales will gradually ease from the west during the afternoon. Please be aware of the risk of some minor disruption to travel, for example to ferry services, while driving conditions may also be difficult.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A fairly deep area of low pressure will move east between Shetland and the Faeroes on Thursday morning, and gales and severe gales on its southern flank will affect parts of northern Scotland for a time. While wind strengths will not be unusual for the time of year, this will be the first severe gale of what has been a quiet autumn so far.

Warning covers

Orkney Islands, Shetland Islands

Na h-Eileanan Siar, Highland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1445468400&regionName=uk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It got a wee bit blowy last night, very calm again today, temp currently 14.1c . Winding up for a hefty blast overnight and tomorrow morning. Ach well, we've just had to wait a bit longer than we normally do for this kind of weather. At least it's mild, for that I'm thankful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Did I inadvertently hibernate through winter or something? It hit 20.1C here in Dyce this afternoon under relatively clear sunny skies and was sweltering in the office.

Posted

Big change in the weather. Quite misty and drizzly (can't remember the last time I seen actual rain been so long) Could be wild for a little while

Posted

Great day here strong SW wind and a maximum of  18c with long sunny periods.     Fine day for painting metal gates as paint drying very fast .

Posted

Great day here strong SW wind and a maximum of  18c with long sunny periods.     Fine day for painting metal gates as paint drying very fast .

Got 18C on the north coast too today. Getting quite gusty now, supposed to get quite blowy here overnight, then something wet for the weekend, madam?

• Like 3

Posted

Think it's safe to say Autumn might be back. First time today in a very long time I done the 5:30 walk in the morning for dogs and I had driving rain/wind blowing in my face (lovely) although it is nice to see we're getting weather after what it seems a very long gap

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

it is nice to see we're getting weather after what it seems a very long gap

Yeah, we might be longing for snow-drifts but the leaf-drifts in places yesterday were impressive. Quite unusual to have such strong winds when, here at least, it was bright and sunny with virtually no clouds.

This morning is quite cloudy after a cool night (3.1C at 8am), but dry. Tomorrow...well that just looks like being too much weather, especially for a weekend.

• Like 1

Posted

Gales on the north coast from Weds night through till yesterday afternoon, the first proper wind for ages.  Quite a shock to the system to be blown around like that. 

This is just up the strath from Helmsdale:  post-4537-0-35961400-1445634201_thumb.jp

and this is Melvich beach post-4537-0-90020200-1445634216_thumb.jp

Both taken yesterday afternoon as the wind was calming down - there was some stunningly clear air for a few hours...

• Like 2

Posted

Fair bit of rain coming across the Western fringes of Scotland.. Wind has picked up again.. The whole month has been calm with leaf fall been pretty slow but nice.. Then over last few day there's been a big difference with the amount or leaves blowing off tree's and them looking they bit barer... Plane Trees in Glasgow are still completely green..

Posted

Cold heavy rain  this morning at 5.5c.Must be snow falling on the tops. Cut all domestic grasses hopefully for the last time this autumn in clouds of dust yesterday. Dust gone today.Finished painting gates as well. Snow can come anytime!!!!!

Yes there is snow well down the  mountain at Cairngorm on Winterhighland webcams

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Yes there is snow well down the  mountain at Cairngorm on Winterhighland webcams

Aye.

cairngorm.jpeg

Starting to think about getting winter tyres on. Summer rubber starting to harden up in the cold mornings and becoming less grippy.

• Like 1

Posted

Aye.

cairngorm.jpeg

Starting to think about getting winter tyres on. Summer rubber starting to harden up in the cold mornings and becoming less grippy.

Steady on. I've had mine on for a couple of weeks and the day time warmth is making them quite soft...

Crazy day here today. At 8am there was very low cloud and steady rain; by 11am it was a lovely blue, blustery day.