Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

First frost of winter 15/16 at Fort SS the morn.

That's me initially signing in to the regional thread then.

---

My main complain right now is the jacket choice problem. It's 2 C outside, but by lunchtime, will be t-shirt weather!

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It made it down to to 2.1C overnight here, but no sign of frost, just very heavy dew and a fair bit of patchy mist and fog around.

Wall to wall blue skies now so should warm up nicely again.

Heard Carol say on BBC Breakfast that Braemar got down to -1C yesterday morning, followed by 24C later in the day. Not a bad temperature range for one day.

Posted

Fog still lingering a little but sun's out. Should burn off soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snaw story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-34410942

Summer avalanche debris incredible, says snow expert

_85848557_debristwo.jpg

What is believed to be debris from an avalanche that happened this summer has been discovered in the Highlands.

Iain Cameron, who studies and writes about snow, has examined the find on Sgurr na Lapaich, the highest of a remote range of mountains.

Describing the debris as an "incredible scene", Mr Cameron said the snow had survived because of a "protective jacket" of thick mud.

He said the avalanche may have happened in June.

In terms of skiing in Scotland, that almost looks good enough to piste.
Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Another clear afternoon after the fog. Expecting something similair tomorrow

Posted

Possibly even nicer than Tuesday with temps a fraction higher at 21c (only (!) managed 17c yesterday). Wall to wall sunshine again after the fog lifted this morning. Easily the best spell of weather of 2015!

• Like 1

Posted

Just been outside and there is a reasonable aurora across the Firth in spite of the moonlight.

Posted

Fog descending already. Lot earlier than recently. Really quite thick too

Edited by NUT

Posted

Oh so close, min of 0.2C overnight and still only 0.5C when the wife and I went out for a run at 7:30. Woke us up that's for sure but gorgeous morning.

Driving down the M74 through the borders now and it's been blue skies all the way except for some cloud around the Central belt. A bit hazy though.

Hope weather holds out for one more day as attending brother in law's wedding tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just been outside and there is a reasonable aurora across the Firth in spite of the moonlight.

Didn't see any Aurora all week despite perfect clear sky near Bettyhill nearly all week.  Got a 2C minimum one night with an icy car but no lower, and a max of 18C - the summer we never had!  One day I looked at a sat image of cloucover and could see the shred of cloud just north of me - sat showed that there was a cloud free 1500 south to the Pyrenees that day, what a day that would have been to take a plane across Europe.

At dawn and dusk the midges were a total nightmare; also abundant ticks in the heather and bracken, mosquitoes by water, and a few keds near trees.  I'm a wee bit lumpy this evening...

Photos tomorrow.

Posted

Still sunny but slightly more cloud about today (was expected though) wind seems to have died down was a little breezy yesterday

Posted

Dry spell goes on although like yesterday it fairly cloudy. All change tomorrow though...........................

Posted

90% blue skies all day with a moderate S SE wind  and a high of 16c.

Picked last of plums two weeks later than normal and almost finished cutting beech hedge in a cloud of dust.Garden has gone from a green slimy chickweed infested one to a dust bowl  with all weeds shrivelled after dutch hoeing. I am a fairweather gardener and this last week has helped transform the garden. Great crops of beetroot/carrots and parsnips. Still a fair crop of apples to pick.

• Like 4

Posted

2c with clear skies and a ground frost at 6.30am trees really starting to take on their autumn colours.

Wet, grey and windy today. More of the same tomorrow by the looks of it.  :unsure2:

Aye, but at least it's mild (??) Prestwick, Inverness & Kinloss are all reporting 16ºC...at midnight...on the 6th of October. That's some huge temps.

The Euro4 has precip heading north this morning, but a lot drier for most of Scotland in the afternoon with the exception of the far west, far north and north-east.

Posted

Certainly feels more like autumn the last couple of days i.e. wet & windy, with lots of loose leaves around as the wind 'assists' the trees in their yearly molt.

Posted

Warm (for the time of year) and wet here too.  First proper rain for some time, several weeks I think.  I actually can't remember when the last properly wet day was, must be getting old!

What day is it again?

• Like 3

Posted

Such a contrast to last week's clear blue skies and abundant sunshine: a day of cloud, rain, drizzle and then haar - the thickest we've had in quite a while.

Posted

It's just occurred to me this evening that this autumn's weather here so far has been rather continental - high pressure dominated, leading to little wind, strong diurnal temp gradients, and some good sunny days.  And I'm seeing some pretty good autumn colours in the trees too for a change, due to the lack of strong winds and a few cold early mornings last week.

If the trend continues into winter, we could be in for a treat. Not that it will of course...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A clear and cold start to the day, temp currently 6.4, pressure 1004. Long may it continue!

Posted

Cloudy not all inspiring currently. Hopefully brighten up a bit later