Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Polar Maritime

Posted

A few strikes approaching Nantes now. C'mon!

Why you looking there? It'll be over here within a few hours. If it's not already. If we can just work out where this little lost storm we're hearing is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Quietening down a bit now and skies clearing. Probably it now but I'm more than happy with that. Glad we finally joined in on the main action. Just as severe as what further east was having for a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

plane seems to be circling area, come from cologne flying at 10'000 feet looks lost, weird with lightning around

Posted

Quietening down a bit now and skies clearing. Probably it now but I'm more than happy with that. Glad we finally joined in on the main action. Just as severe as what further east was having for a time.

Might still be a little on the cold front. It's been sparking little storms to our southwest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Glad to have stayed up for this. This thunderstorm (first one Solihull has had this year) just about tops anything that occured last year, mostly in how frequent the lightning has been. Very bright at times, too, with a few odd rumbles of thunder getting close to 'gunshot' status. Only thing missing from this storm is torrential hail, but again, still one of the better storms I've witnessed.

After what has seemed like a thunder-less year so far, it's nice to see various storm shields from the thunderstorm enthusiasts in here getting blown to pieces. :)

Although shouldn't get too greedy, am hoping there's more to come throughout Summer. :spiteful: ...And especially for those who frustratingly missed out tonight. Though seems like most people have done well from this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Phew. Think that's it for a while now, better try and get some sleep as I've got to be up in 4 hours - grrr

Have fun all x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Might still be a little on the cold front. It's been sparking little storms to our southwest.

Yeah that storm is near Hereford now. Given how much fresher it feels I feel the cold front had already passed so the Hereford storm probably has none of the same juice to tap into as earlier. Might be wrong though but have a feeling it's back to post Cold Front pulse like Storms Now.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

Yeah that storm is near Hereford now. Given how much fresher it feels I feel the cold front had already passed so the Hereford storm probably has none of the same juice to tap into as earlier. Might be wrong though.

I think that is the cold front itself. Been trying to track it all evening. Mind you...I have had a pretty big distraction in the past 2 hours! You may have noticed it yourself! :pardon:

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

might be on the cold front, when it's passed over winds will turn SW, still easterly here

What I really liked about these storms was how as if someone was playing with the volume and light frequency? Suddenly it would go manic with a big increase in noise, slightly peter out then whoosh again! Full on bad boys.

Glad that forecasts rang true, although unlucky if you missed out, I think we've all been there plenty of times. Cooler now fresh breeze still stirring the air, humidity vanishing quickly. What a night.

Posted

Off to Central Europe (Germany down to Croatia) for 3 weeks from 28th July so hopefully a decent chance of seeing more like tonight. :) Give me a big German supercell please.... Haha.

I think that is the cold front itself. Been trying to track it all evening. Mind you...I have had a pretty big distraction in the past 2 hours! You may have noticed it yourself! :pardon:

What happened? :lol:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Very heavy rain with constant thunder and lightning.

Posted

The Hereford storm is calming down now. Hasn't been a strike in a while and looking less intense on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Im calling it a night! Its been a pleasure!

• Like 1

Why you looking there? It'll be over here within a few hours. If it's not already. If we can just work out where this little lost storm we're hearing is!

Night is still young? Was a good one though, more thundery downpours possible tomorrow. All heading west to east as things become slightly more mobile again.

Great storms all in all, several hours worth in fact, lovely stuff.

Posted

Hello,

What a cracker. Just over an hour of thundery rain here in Coventry which started at 1.55am. At 2.15 am, I was counting over twelve flashes a minute, but with only moderate rain, with no detectable hail. It all stopped at 3am.

Good night all.

Posted

Well time for some sleep. Thankfully after a slow start our patience was rewarded big time. Easily some of the most intense thunderstorms I have ever witnessed. Incredible. Happy dreams now. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Insane storm near Stratford (Warwickshire) this evening. Lightning constant - at least 20 strikes per minute, most IC but some CG - and one green strike (which I found out was actually a power line cut!). This is one storm that I will not forget, unfortunately North Westerlies return soon.

Edited by xStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

So looks like i will have to water the plants this morning due to lack of rain last night. The closest i got to a storm was next door moving the wheelie bin!!!

Once again another massive let down for shropshire. In all honesty why do we always miss out on these events? There has to be a scientific reason because it cant be luck?

PPN always slides to the north or east of hear or vanishes and rebuilds in staffordshire/cheshire?

Hope everyone who was out side of shropshire enjoyed last nights storm looked great on the radar.

post-16197-0-00714000-1435989338_thumb.j

Edited by klippieboo

Posted

Was I woken up by cracking thunder and blinding flashes?

Yeah right. This county is an absolute joke. Everyone.else seems to have had a cracker, why the hell not here yet again. They form over Hereford and enf up in Brum, form over Wales and end up in Manchester, die out at Craven Arms and turn up again in Cheshire. What is wrong with here? Its not luck or coincidennce, happens far too often. MUST be a scientific reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Storms just grazed past the Malverns. Don't think any strike was closer than a mile away. Insane amount of lightning, flash after flash illuminated the sky to the north and east of here. Pity our position on the west side of the hill obscured what must have been an amazing view to the East! We did get some torrential rain for a short period. Glad some of you had such amazing shows. :)

I think the Malvern Hills are a geographical feature storms like to go around rather than right over, or at least that's been my experience having lived here for 8 years. Last time there was an amazing storm, again it was just to our north and east. Why Shropshire misses out I've no idea, though, it's turned into the Bermuda Triangle for storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Thats how i feel yet again shropshire gets nothing, looks like i really need to find a new passion as i dont drive so cant get to the storms cause they certainly ain't coming to me!! Well done to all you midlanders who got one finally you derseved it :-) but spare a thought for us in the storm starved capital of the Midlands and possibly the uk!