Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Polar Maritime

Posted

Are you both in the countryside? 

Never known a power cut here in the more urban areas from wind. Did dip briefly from the manic lightning storm on the 3rd July though.

No, I'm in town, but it's a very small town and right at the top of a hill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Power Cut map for us in the South West portion of the country (West Midlands region, South Wales, Devon, Cornwall, Bristol/Somerset). http://www.westernpo...er-Cut-Map.aspx

Edit: Wind picking up here quite a bit now too.

• Like 1

Posted

Are you both in the countryside? 

Never known a power cut here in the more urban areas from wind. Did dip briefly from the manic lightning storm on the 3rd July though.

Bedworth does seem to have a lot of power cuts generally though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Bedworth does seem to have a lot of power cuts generally though

We haven't one for quite a long time now. Now watch me jinx everything.... Lol!

Posted

Why does the West Midlands always have to be in the minority  :nonono:

attachicon.gif12_105_uksnowdepth.png

We never get anything exciting here. Always amazes me how the lowest mountain range in europe (The Cambrian) has the biggest rain shadow. The Welsh hills can kill rain better than the Alps! We will never get a decent fall of snow every again......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Closest power cut to Bedford is Cv3 6 and properties effected 8   http://www.westernpower.co.uk/Power-outages/Power-cuts-in-your-area/Power-Cut-Map.aspx

One for you    'I remember Atlantic 252'....... SHOCKING :laugh:

Posted

Why does the West Midlands always have to be in the minority  :nonono:

attachicon.gif12_105_uksnowdepth.png

Like I said earlier I think we're one of the hardest regions to predict snowfall for and were something of a nowcast region. Don't expect that chart to be accurate, we may have some surprise snowfall or we may not. I'd wait until Friday and see how we stand then. After which we'll have to rely on the radar and our nearest lampposts. Then again what do I know, just trying to add a bit of positivity is all. From experience though some of our best snowfalls in the West Midlands have come from nowhere.

Posted

Something may pop through the Cheshire Gap for a brief time but they rarely reach down here.

Anyway, the wind is certainly ramping up somewhat here. Should continue to slowly increase further for about 1 more hour. Seems to be quite a few properties affected by power cuts in Kinver through to parts of DY10 Kidderminster.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Something may pop through the Cheshire Gap for a brief time but they rarely reach down here.

Anyway, the wind is certainly ramping up somewhat here. Should continue to slowly increase further for about 1 more hour. Seems to be quite a few properties affected by power cuts in Kinver through to parts of DY10 Kidderminster.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Lights have been flickering quite a bit recently here in DY12, though we haven't actually lost power (yet?). Went outside as mentioned earlier. What was most notable wasn't the gusts, strong though they were. It was the continuous wind -- telegraph wires whistling, feeling buffeted as I walked around and the constant whoosh from the trees in the Wyre Forest a couple of miles away. You don't get that often here, probably less than once a year.

Posted

Blimey, 1029 out of power around Hagley DY9, DY10 and DY11 Kidderminster. Also another 680 in Bewdley DY12 according to WPD maps. http://www.westernpower.co.uk/Power-outages/Power-cuts-in-your-area/Power-Cut-Map.aspx

13573 properties currently have no power in the West Midlands alone! http://www.westernpo...er-Cut-Map.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

In the last 15 mins the winds are proper kicking now getting very gusty.... 50mph plus easy,

it's been a long time since ive seen the trees here swaying like the way they are ATM  :shok:

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

For those local to Birmingham (and those who drive past on the M6) - The fort sign has been blown down at the shopping park!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Winds decreasing now, but barely increased at 9pm.

Edited by xStorm

Posted

Next door's Jacuzzi/pool cover seems to have gone walkies somewhere in this wind. Garden chars upside down and some bins blown over here. Will be interesting to walk the dog in the woodlands nearby tomorrow and assess how the trees and branches have fared there.

Posted

Quite a bit going on in the W Mids tonight. Lorry overturned near Bromsgrove on the M5 and the huge Fort Dunlop shopping centre sign has toppled over amongst other incidents. http://www.expressan...r-the-midlands/

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I wonder if TM has broke his November wind speed record.I see gusts of upto 66mph in central eastern England.http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Yes was wondering myself, Touching 75mph here so would not surprise me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I doubt records were broke here, maximum gust of 57mph in an airfield near my area - which isn't really a record-breaker, though maybe for November alone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes was wondering myself, Touching 75mph here so would not surprise me.

No, it didn't break the November record here. The highest gust was 67 mph, almost the same as on the 15th, with a mean speed of 43 mph at 350m between 2100 and 2130.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

First snowflake of the season....not going to get too excited yet

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What site was that on Snowsie?

(Like to have my hopes raised, keeps me entertained - lol)