Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

had around 15cms Jan and Mar, around 3 falls of 10cms in Dec '10, but slight thaws, infact a full thaw in the 'mild' spell from 9th-16th

Posted

That late March 2013 snow event was the best here since the 90's, Nov/Dec 2010 cold spells really didn't deliver much snow wise here, would be nice to finally see a proper Cheshire Gap streamer this year again as last winter despite it happening on numerous occasions it was always gone by morning and followed by rain/mild upper's.

Posted

That late March 2013 snow event was the best here since the 90's, Nov/Dec 2010 cold spells really didn't deliver much snow wise here, would be nice to finally see a proper Cheshire Gap streamer this year again as last winter despite it happening on numerous occasions it was always gone by morning and followed by rain/mild upper's.

need true arctic air for that, very rarely it will happen, even if true Arctic air in place, winds need to be at the perfect angle, like Xmas 2004, Feb 3-5th 2004

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

That would be the WTF moment!

Ian Brown ( a Midlander and posted on the weather outlook blog for many years) was totally of the opinion that a new modern climate had arrived in 1997 with no more snow for the UK.

When the Greenland high appeared about 5 -8 days before the event  he dismissed it as a mirage!!

About 2 days before, all the models suddenly  fell into line..... It showed a drop of about 10C to below zero for all parts of the UK with no sign of a break.

He was speechless except for the above 3 characters!!

It was priceless and received a huge popularity vote!! It was forever named  the WTF moment.

I know Ian sometimes returns to this blog (under a pseudonym), but for me he provided a true M Fish never to be forgotten moment.

MIA

i missed that.... but i seem to remember him having another WTF moment in 2013... think it was in the Jan when no cold showing on charts and he was saying it was the end of winter etc then in one set of model runs they all flipped and so did he with a post cleary stating no chance chance of cold and snow only mins before the models did the flip....lol

Posted

Yeah March and Jan 2013 very good for me here - some great drifts too! I'm hoping for something wintry when i am back home in Dec-Jan.

I am at quite a low level ASL here in Leeds but just a short 10 min (very steep) uphill walk and i am on much higher ground so if any snow is forecast when i am here then i know where ill be heading.

I was home over the weekend and i was surprised at how sunny it was! As i was heading home around 4pm i hit almost a wall of fog on the A38, it was very strange how sudden it went from beautiful sunshine to thick fog.

Anyway i hope you are all keeping well.

• Like 1

Posted

need true arctic air for that, very rarely it will happen, even if true Arctic air in place, winds need to be at the perfect angle, like Xmas 2004, Feb 3-5th 2004

December 2010 was definitely the better here (15cms max and 21 days lying snow); March 2013 was a slight disappointment when some areas got a lot more than others, seemingly at random. We made 10cms but others had 20+, some nothing- it was that variable. 09/10 was a total flop, never want it repeated.

Now 50 hours of nonstop fog, haven't seen the sky since Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Fog less thick tonight. More mist than anything. Probably too strong a breeze albeit it's still light.

Posted

Wow count me out truly disgusting day and rotten outlook with rain and slate grey skies every single day for the next week at least  :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes a very dull day today. Wet this afternoon. Can't say I'm surprised as it is November after all. Feels pretty seasonal. Anyone who thinks cold and snow is the norm in our winters is delusional.

Posted

Yes a very dull day today. Wet this afternoon. Can't say I'm surprised as it is November after all. Feels pretty seasonal. Anyone who thinks cold and snow is the norm in our winters is delusional.

I certainly don't, Atlantic air, rain and gales is our winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Quote "Anyone who thinks 'cold and snow is the norm' in our winters is delusional" For How long is the norm?

We'll always get cold & snow for most if not all our forthcoming winters  :)

But yes seasonal milder times will always be first head of cold & snow.....but delusional!!!! bit strong ain't it.

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Perhaps delusional is a strong word. Just don't want to see people being let down. Its often the case. A few ott posts about some FI charts recently. Not in here I must add though. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

53 hours of uninterrupted thick fog, and counting,  up to 0900.

It's a milder morning than yesterday though with the temperature on 9.7c and rising slowly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes TM thick Fog persists here to.

Posted

No fog, rain cleared, but still precisely zero sunshine for November. Saw a small patch of blue sky at 8.30, but it filled in before it could find the yellow UFO. Back to featureless grey muck, when will we make 1 hour of Sun? 7th?

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

Has turned out rather grey. Some limited blue sky seen earlier though. Nonetheless in the run up to Christmas I don't mind the duller weather too much, especially once thenchristmas lights are decked around the house. Gives the excuse to put them on earlier in the evening/afternoon and make things more cosy inside.

Posted

Thick fog again this morning. The fog thinned a bit during yesterday evening ( visiblilty 800-1000mts ) but never lifted completely and thickened up again after midnight. We've now had  76 hours of continuous fog up to 0800; I must check what the record is.

A very mild morning though with the temperature hovering around 11c.

Edit; the record is 109 hours from Jan' 16th-20th 1996, there was also a spell of 107 hours from Dec 30th 1995 to Jan 4th 1996.

Edited by Terminal Moraine
  • Like 1

Posted

Off to see a few pyrotechnics this evening 200_s.gif It's  bang!!! on that this rain is moving eastwards  :D 

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Another very mild morning, 10.6c at the moment. The fog cleared shortly before midnight after 92 hours.

Posted

A very wet morning here with shrouded cloud and mod/heavy rain. 

Posted

Moderate/heavy driving rain here, The winds gusting well in excess of 40mph now. Rain 10.2mm Temp 13.6c.

Posted

Just popping in to say after an entire WEEK of sunless skies and no daylight the sun's finally come out  :drunk:  :drunk:  :drunk:  :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Rain 6mms cleared from here just after midday.

Now seeing sunshine. Temperature around 17.5C, so mild. :D :D :D

Posted

Also blustery out there, I'm at 16.6c....too Mild :closedeyes::p  :wink: