Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'd say if there's going to be any risk at all, it'll be for something more significant than thundery showers.  Decent moisture and shear will see to that.  Though I'd hazard going into detail, tbh, given the discrepancies between all three main models.  ECM does break out storms generally from E Mids eastward.  Same with GFS. But the UKM has the risk even further east, and the concern is UKM models another eastward revision, and the others are likely to follow.

But as things as they are currently, still all to play for E/SE parts.  Be prepared, though, for the final eastward shift into the North Sea lol. 

I have to say the 06z GFS is pretty vile to be honest. Far more eastward shift than I was anticipating last night (I was expecting some but not that much). I'm sure MLCAPE is more impressive than SBCAPE currently shows, however optimism is rapidly fading. 

It's quite incredible how rapidly things have devolved just from the 18z output yesterday (although the 00z MLCAPE kindly posted by BF earlier is pleasing!!). Alas, it has been yo-yo-ing the past few days so could still push a bit further west. If the advancing Atlantic storm killing influence can hold off just for a few hours longer can currently envisaged by GFS, it will allow so much more potential to spread across England and Wales. 

But given the 2-3 day timeframe is approaching and it's currently looking pretty tragic, a sense of foreboding is rife.

Oh get a grip man!!  :nonono:  :fool:  :wallbash:

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted

Hate saying it & I hoped to be wrong, but it looks like my post of 30th May, whilst all of the overhyping was going on,

"I'm sure our members on the South East coast will enjoy the light show from across the channel in Belgium & Holland.",

may prove to be right. Same year after year, as with cold spells in winter, if 1 in 20 come off anything like modelled, we're lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

:search: Does any one know how to show the real-time stikes on blitzortung as a white X ?. 

I borrowed my nephews iphone and was impressed with the way it showed the strikes, as you could zoom in to the area of strike.

I cant seem to get the same display via my laptop, although you can zoom in it doesnt show individual strikes as an X.

Is this specific to the iphone ?

Hope your all enjoying the Almost kent-clipper set-up  :lazy: .

Ok ive got the settings sorted out now  :doh:

if you run the GFS to 30000 hours there is another kent clipper,  i mean plume.

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hate saying it & I hoped to be wrong, but it looks like my post of 30th May, whilst all of the overhyping was going on,

"I'm sure our members on the South East coast will enjoy the light show from across the channel in Belgium & Holland.",

may prove to be right. Same year after year, as with cold spells in winter, if 1 in 20 come off anything like modelled, we're lucky.

It does always seem to be the case doesn't it? Unless a decent storm situation is shown within 48 hours I tend to ignore it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

What's stopping people of they are storm starved hoping on a ferry across the channel and going out there its about £80 plus fuel car share your sorted..then again..

The extra £350 to get off the island, then the risk of cancellation from easyJet or Flybe ;)

I'd do it if I lived away though!

The extra £350 to get off the island, then the risk of cancellation from easyJet or Flybe ;)

I'd do it if I lived away though!

Granted People past say Milton Keynes Maybe a tad further North it's not a world class Trip but for some it is worth doing to get the fix :) I rember being out in France in proper thunderstorms.. ahhhh

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The way this plume is being shunted eastwards, I'm sure they'll enjoy it in the Urals...lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The SE still looks pretty good for storms on Fri....might not need to get a ferry or use the Tunnel lol....just come to London!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

As its getting shunted ever further eastward ,will it reappear in the west ??.

Only if it has circumnavigated the Earth.. :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Only if it has circumnavigated the Earth.. :laugh:

:rofl:  :acute:

Posted

The way this plume is being shunted eastwards, I'm sure they'll enjoy it in the Urals...lol

LOL :rofl:

Let's hope 12z delivers us all some good news :D

Wouldn't it be ironic if there is a westward shift, storms erupt up the central slice of England and across the Channel/N France, naturally, and I'm left wallowing in a humid but dry void between two areas of thundery activity like a pathetic jellyfish left splayed across a sludge ridden beach at low tide.

Alas - that's preferable to France/Benelux hogging the honours.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Is the GFS having problems today? No 12Z on any sites yet..  :search:

The output comes out from 16:30 :p

• Like 1

Posted

The output comes out from 16:30 :p

I thought it was 3:30pm? Admittedly, i haven't actually been sat waiting for a run to come out, for quite some time. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

What's stopping people of they are storm starved hoping on a ferry across the channel and going out there its about £80 plus fuel car share your sorted..then again..

you paying?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I thought it was 3:30pm? Admittedly, i haven't actually been sat waiting for a run to come out, for quite some time. lol

Remember the clocks go forward  :D

Posted

I'm going to be leaving for my train soon, but based on what GFS has churned out already (up to 06z Friday) the eastward shift slowly but surely continues :cray:

Posted

i would love to know a reason why there has been a dramatic reduction of thundery activity over the north west of england in the last few years,

although last year saw some places in the uk have a decent year,  the nw was not one of them,   

just bad luck,  NO ,  its been going on for too long, there does not seem to be an explanation,

this year has been the worst so far in living memory, and if, up to july, does not give any thunder here its going to be a 12 month rolling period I have not head thunder , which would have seemed ridiculous last decade, but is now becoming a sombre reality :cray:  , 

the next marker to watch will be a 24 month rolling period  with out a single rumble :shok: ,  unthinkable , but quite possible a reality in a few more years the way things are going ?  

• Like 1

Posted

Comparing the 00 and 12Z, As to be expected..

post-15177-0-75496000-1433260707_thumb.ppost-15177-0-86445300-1433260694_thumb.p

post-15177-0-64598600-1433260699_thumb.ppost-15177-0-44618400-1433260704_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

So, my parting shot before much later on tonight is that our plume event is rapidly retreating east.

There is a window of about 06z to 12z for SE England, which is the most rubbish time frame for storms IMO. By 18z there is a massive scope for storms from NW France through Benelux and beyond...but all off shore at this stage.

Unfortunately I do not have MLCAPE charts available, but it's looking increasingly dire...unless of course european models still indicate GFS has over-egged the eastward shift.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

So, my parting shot before much later on tonight is that our plume event is rapidly retreating east.

There is a window of about 06z to 12z for SE England, which is the most rubbish time frame for storms IMO. By 18z there is a massive scope for storms from NW France through Benelux and beyond...but all off shore at this stage.

Unfortunately I do not have MLCAPE charts available, but it's looking increasingly dire...unless of course european models still indicate GFS has over-egged the eastward shift.

Personally, I'm still encouraged by the fax charts, they are better IMHO than GFS in the shorter term. Still 3 days to go...if GFS carries on shifting stuff E then the only place seeing storms will be Poland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Well Friday's a done deal now, especially if you're as far north-west as I am. The South East of England may have a small opportunity for thunder on Friday morning, and may actually even see some of them across the Channel. Once again though, it looks like the plume has more desire to visit the Benelux countries again.

Edited by Thunderbolt_
  • Like 1