Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/06/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Fantastic post Generalelectrix!! The 'swirl' pattern in the swathe of downed trees is very noticeable. Those pics could easily be from the USA, that anvil looks positively evil! If only we could import some storms like that....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

MetO seem to edging away from heatwave Friday, suggesting temps of 21-22C in London with "thundery showers" in the SE.

Let's hope for a shift in models tomorrow and Wednesday to something a bit better than that!

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

MetO seem to edging away from heatwave Friday, suggesting temps of 21-22C in London with "thundery showers" in the SE.

Let's hope for a shift in models tomorrow and Wednesday to something a bit better than that!

Rather ballsy to go with their raw data considering it has next to no support from the other models and ensemble suites. Something is going to give though.

Posted

On local (ITV) top temp of 26C on Friday with the âš¡ï¸âš¡ï¸âš¡ï¸ symbol much more realistic. I feel the heat is more likely to get upgraded than downgraded after the initial dilution.

Posted

GFS 18z about to unveil its latest punt...this was yesterday by far the most miserable of the runs yesterday so will be interesting to see what it says.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The pub run is okay, a little east compared to the 12z, but the 12z was the furthest west of the operationals and this run takes it more in line with the ECM/GEM outputs.

gfs-0-90.png?18

The FAX chart for day 4 sums up the metoffice thoughts, similar in the surface pattern to the raw output with decayed fronts over the south providing a fair bit of cloud which suppresses the temperatures.

post-17424-0-52144700-1433196388_thumb.g

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

18z not looking as nice as the runs before it, hopefully it will improve tomorrow :/

Posted

It does my nut in these charts lol - don't know why I'm doing it to myself.

18z shifts it 50 miles or so further East to 12z, but still keeps most of England and Wales in the bullseye. It hangs around for about 12-18 hours before shunting off so is an extremely narrow window of opportunity.

Let's review again this time tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A little bit far out and more runs needed, but at the moment I think the main area at risk will be in a line from the IOW up to Leicestershire/Lincolnshire Eastwards. This is how it is looking to be certainly at the moment. Would still not surprise me at all though for all of this to dive 100-200 miles East and leave us with little more than nothing and to see Belgium and the Netherlands take the brunt of this, as has been experienced so many times before. Can only wish for a triumph of hope at the minute.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

The pub run is okay, a little east compared to the 12z, but the 12z was the furthest west of the operationals and this run takes it more in line with the ECM/GEM outputs.

gfs-0-90.png?18

The FAX chart for day 4 sums up the metoffice thoughts, similar in the surface pattern to the raw output with decayed fronts over the south providing a fair bit of cloud which suppresses the temperatures.

attachicon.gifdreary.gif

As with the winter snow 'eye candy' charts available to joe public,its important to remember ukmo have other models we don't see,so if the 'family fax' is stearing away from storm 'eye candy' of certain public models there is sure to be a very good reason.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

GFS always following - never leading. ECM is still quicker than the 18z. My thinking is that it's either an east based risk, or no risk at all. But it would seem a widespread risk is rather unlikely.

We've been here many times before and as much as I want to believe it won't, the likelihood is you're once again correct and there will be a further push east. The SE could do well, but for someone like myself in the West, frustratingly it could be a no show. As you've also repeatedly said, UK meto model isn't playing game and the GFS op moves towards the Euros again. Oh it likes to tease.

I'd much rather see a stalling low out to our west spiralling fronts against a blocking high to our east. Once again though it looks to push on through thanks to the overarching pattern.

Let's see what the models bring us tomorrow...

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Ever so slowly creeping Eastwards, but not game over by any means.

attachicon.gifviewimage (2).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (3).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (4).png

It still does suggest a few thunderstorms, across more Central areas too! If only the models could agree on the current GFS 18z run, then there could well be potential. Being that GFS and ECM now both agree, hopefully we can have consistent runs.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted

Still some chopping and changing with the predicted plume on the overnight runs. A clear eastward shift on GFS and NMM on the 00z run but still a good portion of the S and E of England in the plume zone. However, with 3 days left to go until storms are expected the eastward shift concerns me. Still all to play for regarding Friday but it could still end up one of those near continent shows. 

The BBC have not been mentioning anything for Friday this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

00z is depressing - alas, GFS falling in line with euro models.

Now it's knife edge as to whether anywhere sees anything of interest - optimism plummeting I have to say.

Posted

Numerous times every year we have this predicament - how quickly will the Atlantic push in.

It is not inevitable the Atlantic progression won't slow - I can recall occasions where 12+ hours inaccuracy even a short range has taken place - obviously such an error can work for or against us.

Posted

Regional forecast on MetO better than yesterday though...

Dry and relatively warm with variable cloud and sunshine Thursday. Perhaps cloudier, but warmer Friday with a chance of thunderstorms later. Then, dry with sunny spells for much of Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite like the fax for Friday, still a good chance for heat and storms across much of S and E England with the cold front out west for much of the day. Would prefer the modelled trough to be further west...might well happen in future runs! All on a knife edge, as ever lol....

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Don't forget Surrey, those are 8 hours old now, we're on the 06Z.

The 00Z was watered down significantly, the 06Z the same, and moving through quite rapidly.

06Z

post-15177-0-81454800-1433240998_thumb.ppost-15177-0-24277000-1433241006_thumb.p

00Z

post-15177-0-10123600-1433241016_thumb.ppost-15177-0-35640700-1433241022_thumb.p

Personally, it's getting to that stage where you can say "a few thundery showers in the south east"

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

What completely depressing charts today. Gone from good to bad to good to bad once again.. Could we perhaps get one last shift to good before Friday please?

Posted

So will it be a long drive to Kent, a ferry to Belgium or a beer and my laptop watching the webcams in Germany on Friday night? :)

Trying to not feel too down even though I did make the mistake of getting excited about this.

Edited by Supacell