Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 16/07/15 onwards

Posted

Not quite as I envisaged but definitely interesting to watch. The low should I think lift out to the north sea and the delayed movement of the front eastwards will most likely start to happen. Quite a strong jet pushing in across the Bay of Biscay which I think might mess up the modelling a bit for tomorrow.

post-2809-0-16105600-1439564540_thumb.pn

Possible storm development towards Bristol and Welsh marches. Not much electrical activity showing up so instability must be limited.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

A 15ft wide by 40ft deep hole has appeared in Manchester following heavy rain

sinkhole-1-736x414.jpg

I hope someone is looking into it...sorry!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

sinkhole-1-736x414.jpg

A couple of transfer-fees down the drain! :D

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Much of England and Wales is blanketed by cloud cover thanks to the slow-moving fronts, however, we do have some clear skies or breaks in the cloud to allow some warm sunshine across E Sussex, Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk - with the temp reaching 24C at Norwich and Headcorn in Kent.

radar/satellite with rough estimate of fronts circa 1630:

post-1052-0-30346800-1439567946_thumb.jp

Herstmonceux 12z radiosonde ascent adjusted suggests arimass over far SE with enough CAPE (a few 100 j/kg) for thunderstorms with a temp of 22-24C.

post-1052-0-67958300-1439568017_thumb.gi

Soundings over Europe where thunderstorms are possible from this site, includes Herstmonceux:

http://www.contourmap.ch/hpbo/sounding_europe.aspx

post-1052-0-34796000-1439568041_thumb.gi

Clear skies with insolation also over Normandy, a shortwave upper trough visible on WV imagery moving out of France towards SE England and some forcing from an occlusion have triggered some thunderstorms which are pushing out into the Channel recently, these could clip the far SE this evening, given energy available here to keep them going, so one to keep an eye on.

WV image:

post-1052-0-09896600-1439568617_thumb.pn

Little convective activity along the cold front further west, so really only the far SE in the warm and unstable air likely to see any storms for the rest of the day.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Off topic -BUT, my eight pennies worth.

The problem as I see it in this thread is in the title. It clearly states storm and convective discussion, so people are expecting it just to be that, a discussion, some will agree with what is being said be it forecasts here or else where, some won't, but most have stated that this should be a place for discussing the technical and analytical aspects of storms and cloud formation and therefore should state, for example Storm & Convective TECHNICAL discussion, so people will know their moans to a degree are not in the right place.

If I were to be as picky,I would say the moans about the moans has no place on the thread either and is just as annoying.  

This thread highlights my personal interest in the weather phenomenon we call storms and i'm slowing coming to grips with what charts mean and don't mean for this.

I'm always hosting parties in the NSC, maybe some of you should come visit?

Fixed , lol

Edited by Dami
  • Like 1

Posted

Maybe have a banter, moans and ramps thread just like in models section. Keep this discussion thread to forecast charts, storm reports and that will allow the more detailed discussion not to get lost in pages of posts that mean nowt.

• Like 1

Posted

Just an observation, as a follower of this thread - I see references to Auntie Beeb, as in: "the BBC had too many lightning symbols" or "Ill never trust the BBC forecasts again" etc.

May be just me - and I accept the BBC is many things to many people - but I always thought they were a Public Service Broadcaster, and not weather forecasters. Surely whatever they produce by way of a weather forecast comes courtesy of the Met Office? 

By the way, the various airports around the world that do have meteorologists on hand very seldom (indeed if ever) forecast thunderstorms above a 30/40% probability (those interested in aviation will know what I mean when you see PROB30 etc in Terminal Area Forecasts).

So if they are cautious, don't take what your App says as gospel!       :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sinkhole-1-736x414.jpg

A 15 mile by 10 mile hole appeared within the M60......It's been named 'Manchester'.......I'll fetch me coat  :bomb:  :ninja:

• Like 2

Posted

Wettest day here since 20th July 2007.

Storm total 39.2mm of which 37.1mm since midnight.  

Has had little effect on river level though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Had some extremely Heavy downpours just over an hour and a half ago, with an almighty crack of thunder rippled through the sky! Was just the one lot though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Sky very dark and Grey to my south, looks like somethings coming.

Posted

Wettest day here since 20th July 2007.

Storm total 39.2mm of which 37.1mm since midnight.  

Has had little effect on river level though!

That might take more effect overnight into tomorrow once water gets into the river system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Sky very dark and Grey to my south, looks like somethings coming.

Can confirm, plus ac cas over head. Fingers crossed the channel does not kill it this time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I wonder how many people moaning on here about people moaning get annoyed when their football/sports team doesn't win or their partner getting them the wrong beer or food. Its what the British do best along with queuing. Its not the fact people think they will 100% get a storm, its the fact that they want a storm when most on here hardly get any, if any. Its a big ol' slap in the face when 150 miles to the south in France huge great storms erupt engulfing North France and the Benelux countries, when most of the time we can't even gather up enough energy to muster a fart. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I wonder how many people moaning on here about people moaning get annoyed when their football/sports team doesn't win...

I'm a Spurs fan...Nuff said! :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Very eerie light in colchester at the moment with light rain, I see the heavy shower which has rolled up off shore along the Essex coast is now over Clacton and has produced a couple of sparks.

Edited by SnowBear

Posted

Within the last few minutes, it appears the cold front has passed over here. Humidity now lower and much more comfortable. 

And guess what? A great scene to end this humid spell!

post-9530-0-38692200-1439581352_thumb.jp

To the next one!

Edited by SnowMania
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Thanks for the in-depth post Vorticity! :) 

Storm coming into Hamburg right now, not particularly active but there is intermittent lightning!

http://www.earthcam.com/world/germany/hamburg/?cam=hamburg_hd