Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st August 00z---------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

GFS

gfs-0-144.png?12

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?11-19

ECM

ECM1-144.GIF?11-0

GEM

gem-0-144.png?12

This sort of highlights the uncertainty going on in the mid-range. Can the heights over Scandinavia back westwards to allow a drier and warmer picture to develop. Or will we see more shallow systems develop, potentially a thundery low from France over the coming days. The extended range doe suggest a build of heights from the south west, merging with the heights to the east. Trouble is whether it is a false signal given how the summer has panned out.

ECM ens

EDM1-216.GIF?11-0

Overall a reasonable output for some, not so good for others, usual winners and losers I'm afraid.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

UK very much at the battleground of competing airstreams at the moment. Strong heights to the SW and NE, low heights to the NW and SE doing battle over the country. Its all a bit messy, with no overall winner. The SE seeing the warmest conditions, NW locked in cool conditions in the main - the theme of the summer.

One notable aspect of the weather all year so far has been the propensity for very 'stuck' patterns with little overall variability bar the odd shortlived spell (think start of July). The dominant force has been the atlantic trough - far too close to our shores for any sustained settled spell/ridge to develop and take hold.

• Like 4

Posted

A word of caution about what the anomaly charts show, see below for the link.

They continue to show the major feature is the trough over/close by the UK. They show today a small, note small, +ve anomaly off France and Iberia and including parts of the UK. The ridge and +ve heights N Norway into Spitzbergen continue as they have for several days. yes it is slight change but not to me enough to warrant one or two of the comments about it this evening on here.

IF they show an increase in +ve heights tomorrow and the day after then we can start to feel that a change is looking more likely. But not before in my view.

I may be wrong of course but several years checking them closely every day makes me reluctant to jump on a major change band waggon.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

this from my earlier post and apologies for quoting from my own post but it does give my feeling about how likely any change is this evening.

This is for both the 6-10 and 8-14 day time scales. The output at 8-14 has been as consistent as the 6-10 in showing no sign of any +ve heights of any significance along with no sign of any ridging in the UK area.

The ECMWF-GFS output has been less consistent with NOAA (6-10 day) or with one another. For several days they have both toyed with the idea of a ridge and +ve heights being fairly close to the UK (E or NE) to perhaps lend some credence to one or two synoptic model outputs. Neither has been totally consistent with this and this morning they broke ranks with EC showing more of an influence from the ridging to the E/NE than GFS. Unless NOAA 6-10 this evening shows some indication of any leaning towards this idea I think we can dismiss this idea. Indeed I would be surprised if this did happen based on a good many years of daily checking these outputs.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Re those charts posted by knocker at the foot of page 16 :

Not sure I really understand those charts in that format.

Is the above a threat to HP influence in the UK (especially South) next week? 

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

Re those charts posted by knocker at the foot of page 16 :

Not sure I really understand those charts in that format.

Is the above a threat to HP influence in the UK (especially South) next week? 

I don't know about a threat The UK is sitting between the trough and the HP so the surface detail will probably depend on how far south the trough reaches. The most likely scenario I feel is that you will keep the HP influence in the south whilst further north the trough may be the victor.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

A word of caution about what the anomaly charts show, see below for the link.

They continue to show the major feature is the trough over/close by the UK. They show today a small, note small, +ve anomaly off France and Iberia and including parts of the UK. The ridge and +ve heights N Norway into Spitzbergen continue as they have for several days. yes it is slight change but not to me enough to warrant one or two of the comments about it this evening on here.

IF they show an increase in +ve heights tomorrow and the day after then we can start to feel that a change is looking more likely. But not before in my view.

guilty... my post (311) overstated the change, maybe i was letting desire get in the way of objectivity, maybe id been drinking , a-hem. there does appear to be uncertainty though on both the ops and anoms with some caution that conditions might improve once we get tomorrows/fridays thundery wet spell out the way by saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
HERE IS MY LATEST ANALYSIS USING DATA SUPPLIED BY THE NWP OUTPUT COVERING 5 OF THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL WEATHER COMPUTERS ISSUED AT 08:00 ON WEDNESDAY AUG 12TH 2015.

THE CURRENT GENERAL SITUATION. A ridge of High pressure will lie across Central areas of the UK today a thundery low will develop over Biscay and move slowly North towards Southern England later tonight and tomorrow.

MODELS-2 WEEK HEADLINE Remaining rather changeable with some rain at times. Some dry and at times warm, humid conditions are likely for all areas as well.

THE GFS JET STREAM FORECAST The GFS Jet Stream Forecast shows the flow to the NW of Scotland at the moment with a new arm extending SE from Newfoundland to Northern Spain from the weekend with a returning arm North over the North Sea. After several days of this arrangement the flow to the South weakens and the flow becomes a generally cyclonic one around Low pressure close to northern Britain later.

GFS OPERATIONAL The GFS Operational Run today loks a very changeable affair over the two week period. The thundery Low moves North over the coming days to be absorbed by Low pressure to the North with a Westerly flow at the weekend with sunshine and showers in less warm and humid air. A blocking High pressure forms over NE Europe next week preventing Low pressure crossing east to the North and eventually sending them on a SE track across parts of the UK with further rain at times. This collapses late in the run and a Westerly flow with rain at times is shown to return to all areas by the end of the two week period.

THE GFS CONTROL The GFS Control Run is very similar to the operational this morning and any major differences between them is reserved for the very end of the run when High pressure is shown to build strongly across Southern Britain from the SW ensuring a warm and sunny spell here while the North stays a little more changeable under slack Westerly winds.

THE GFS CLUSTERS(14 Days) The GFS Clusters this morning are not quite as good as yesterday with a few more members going for more unsettled conditions from off the Atlantic in 14 days while those that show better conditions under a ridge show the ridge not quite as pronounced and well positioned for the British Isles today.

UKMO UKMO today shows the thundery Low having moved North to the Northern Isles by the weekend leaving behind a spell of slack and unstable airflows across the UK, first from the West and then East as pressure builds over NE Europe. Occasional showers look likely almost anywhere perhaps becoming more focused towards the South and SW only later.

THE FAX CHARTS The Fax Charts this morning show the same thundery Low moving North with it's attendant warm and humid unstable airmass ahead of a very complex system of fronts introducing fresher air from the West for the weekend and start to next week.

GEM GEM today shows an equally changeable period with the main features being the build of pressure to the NE with a trough stalled near SE Britain early next week with a continuation here of the weekend showers which in itself follows the thundery rain of the coming days. Then as the High to the NE collapses a familiar North/South split under Westerly winds is shown to end the run with any rain most likely to the North then.

NAVGEM NAVGEM too shows a pressure rise across NE Europe behind the coming days thundery Low moving North. This sets up a trough stretching from Newfoundland through the UK to Italy next week with slack unstable air across the UK promoting some showery activity especially towards the SE and NW.

ECM ECM this morning also follows the route in promoting a pressure rise to the NE after the coming days thundery Low heads to the North which unfortunately shows little benefit to the UK as it just serves to stall Atlantic Lows and troughs close to the UK with just brief dry and more settled interludes in occasionally cyclonic winds. It could become quite warm and humid at times though as Southerly winds ahead of fronts make the following rain heavy and thundery at times before fresher air moves in late in the period.

ECM 10 DAY MEAN The ECM 10 Day Mean Chart  from last evening shows a split between members with many opting for that rise of pressure to the NE of the UK and some with it well to the SW. This will probably result in the UK being in nomansland between the two High pressure areas with lower pressure to both the NW and SE promoting at least some shower activity.

NOTABLE TREND CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS RUNS The models are trending towards  a strong build of pressure over NE Europe which on this morning's charts show little better influence to the weather over the UK.

31 DAY HISTORICAL VERIFICATION STATS FOR GFS, UKMO & ECM The Verification Statistics of GFS, UKMO and ECM. This morning's verification statistics show ECM leading the way at 3 days with 95.7 pts followed by UKMO at 95.4 pts and GFS at 94.65pts. At 5 days ECM is stll king at 85.8 pts followed by UKMO at 84.4 and GFS at 83.8 pts. Then at 8 Days ECM still leads at 59.2 pts over GFS's 55.3 pts. Finally at Day 10 ECM leads GFS at 40.5 pts to 35.0 pts from GFS.

MY THOUGHTS Things look like trending very changeable across the UK over the coming two weeks with some changes in the basic synoptic pattern not really benefiting the UK weather over the two weeks in a big way. What we have is a ridge across Central Britain declining soon as a thundery Low moves North from Biscay up the spine of Britain to the northern isles by the end of Friday. This could deliver some copious disruptive weather locally before a shift to fresher Atlantic westerly winds sweep the humidity and thundery weather away for the weekend when sunshine and scattered showers looks likely. A strong build of pressure is then indicated over NE Europe, too far east to benefit us much other than to stall any progression of Atlantic Lows and troughs coming up against it from the west meaning the UK looks like being under a stalled slack and sometimes low pressure gradient promoting further outbreaks of rain or showers at times which incidentally also helps develop rather cooler weather at long last over Southern Europe. thereafter we have to pick up the crumbs of what the longer term output shows us today and there is still some hope that pressure will rise across the UK with some warm and sunny conditions across the South late in the period. However, shuffling around rather slack synoptics is always difficult for the models to handle and credence on any one specific outcome should not be taken too seriously at this range. So still a rather changeable outlook I'm afraid and with the Summer clock ticking away I get the feeling that any long term Summer UK wide weather is still some way in the distance of at all.  

Next update from 09:00 Thursday Aug 13th 2015

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

So still a rather changeable outlook I'm afraid and with the Summer clock ticking away I get the feeling that any long term Summer UK wide weather is still some way in the distance of at all.

I think your probably right Gibby......

After all , some of us have been waiting almost a year for Summer conditions..☔☔☔

• Like 3

Posted

@Vorticity0123: Yet another brill post from you, and an excellent breakdown regarding frontal disturbances and thundery weather. Bravo Vorticity, Bravo! :clap:

Certainly some excitement for the Southern UK storm enthusiasts for the next few days. And although this will likely become a nowcasting situation keeping guard of the window, hopefully those who have not seen any proper thundery weather yet will get a storm. Though does look as though it could be a hit and miss situation. Flooding will certainly be something to watch as well (which could cause some travel disruption for places, particularly towards the South).

Quite like, also, that it looks as though the deep Atlantic Low and the shallow French Low are going to be racing each other to see who can reach the UK first:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

(Charts used from latest GFS 06Z run)

But there can only be one winner:

(To be fair, though, both Low Pressure systems do end up joining forces with each other towards the weekend).attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Still has warm air over the UK though so it will probably be storms and not frontal rain I would of thought.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Still has warm air over the UK though so it will probably be storms and not frontal rain I would of thought.

Yeah, hopefully.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015081212/gfs-0-168.png?12

Well now, a significant Scandinavian HP - the first for some time and an ESE'ly flow over the North Sea. The British Isles in a classic col between the pressure systems.

There are probably two ways from this - one is for lower pressure to squeeze through from NW and SE to create a new LP over the British Isles - the other is for the two HP areas to win out with perhaps the Azores HP becoming the more dominant feature with a ridge to Scandinavia.

The 12Z OP goes down the latter route but by no means a done deal at this stage.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS and GEM have high pressure gaining ground through days 5-10.

Euro has low pressure winning out by day 9.

Recm2161.gif

• Like 1

Posted

The NOAA output this evening does lend some indication of +ve heights to NE of UK perhaps developing into something more settled. Just where any surface high would settle IF the trend continues is not that easy to pin down. I would imagine NE of the UK and how much ridging into the UK would not be clear for a week or so? link to NOAA below

Also it needs all 3 anomaly charts to show similar ideas before it is a 'done thing'. By Saturday we should know one way or the other for the following weekend or rather 2-3 days before the weekend.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

The NOAA output this evening does lend some indication of +ve heights to NE of UK perhaps developing into something more settled. Just where any surface high would settle IF the trend continues is not that easy to pin down. I would imagine NE of the UK and how much ridging into the UK would not be clear for a week or so? link to NOAA below

Also it needs all 3 anomaly charts to show similar ideas before it is a 'done thing'. By Saturday we should know one way or the other for the following weekend or rather 2-3 days before the weekend.

Been following some north america /canada weather chat and low pressure seems like setting in around Hudson bay area so could very well see a rise of pressure to our N/east in about a weeks time ,thanks for posting the above link another good thing about our weather forum ,wish we had this 40 yrs ago , never realy boring this weather hobby ,take care all .

Posted

And some support for this

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-18824600-1439418426_thumb.p

post-12275-0-46681600-1439418434_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

The GEFS anomalies this morning continue the theme of building heights to the NE. As JH has mentioned much depends on the position and orientation of the surface HP. And I might add the longevity of the position. Thus by Tuesday the HP is well established with cool stream lines from a southerly quadrant over the UK but dry.

This continues until Friday with the added complication of an upper trough just to the west of the UK running south. This may well bring about a reversal of the norm and introduce the worst weather to the south.

Onwards to Sunday and the HP flattens out, a weak trough France and the UK in no mans land. Best wait and see how this develops.

All in all not bad news even if it just breaks the dead lock and gives the north a chance.

post-12275-0-63375200-1439450954_thumb.p

post-12275-0-46774000-1439450964_thumb.p

post-12275-0-98205000-1439450973_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down
HERE IS MY LATEST ANALYSIS USING DATA SUPPLIED BY THE NWP OUTPUT COVERING 5 OF THE WORLDS MOST POWERFUL WEATHER COMPUTERS ISSUED AT 08:00 ON WEDNESDAY AUG 12TH 2015

THE CURRENT GENERAL SITUATION. A thundery Low will move North up the eastern side of the UK today and tomorrow with a fresher Westerly flow following late tomorrow.

MODELS-2 WEEK HEADLINE Remaining rather changeable with some rain at times. Some dry and at times warm, humid conditions are likely for all areas as well.

THE GFS JET STREAM FORECAST The GFS Jet Stream Forecast shows the flow mving North over the UK cutrrently before the main arm runs SE towards Northern Spain in a couple of days time. It then weakens and becomes almost non existent for quite a while mid run before reverting to crossing the Atlantic to lie close to Western and Southern Britain late in the period.

GFS OPERATIONAL The GFS Operational Run today shows a thundery Low moving North to become absorbed by a Low to the North of the UK before the weekend. A Westerly but slack airflow becomes established for a time as High pressure builds strongly to the NE of Britain with winds switching SE. Low pressure is then forced SE towards SW areas of the UK keeping the most unsettled conditions here while the North and East close to the HIgh to the NE stay quite dry and occasionally warm. Late in the run the situation remains very benign with further Low pressure close to Southern England with rain or showers at times here with the best weather still in the North.

THE GFS CONTROL The GFS Control Run today also shows High pressure developing to the North and NE next week replacing the existing Low pressure with new ones to the West and SW for much of the period. The best and driest conditions look most likely in the North and NE while the SW and South in general become most at risk of rain or showers in average temperatures though by the same token some short warmer and drier interludes too.

THE GFS CLUSTERS(14 Days) The GFS Clusters this morning are generally quite poor today if it's fine and warm weather your looking for two weeks from now. The majority of members opt for the UK to lie under a trough of one sort or another fed down from the NW with High pressure favoured to lie to the East or NE of the UK.

UKMO UKMO today is rather better than GFS in as much as once the current thundery Low expires to the North pressure builds across the UK from both the NE and SW. This finger of slack winds known as a 'col' area will most likely maintain benign conditions with any rain restricted to the far NW and showers to the far SE.

THE FAX CHARTS The Fax Charts this morning show the same thundery Low moving North with it's attendant warm and humid unstable airmass ahead of fresher air moving in from the West with airflow patterns becoming slack over the weekend and early next week with sunny spells and just a scattering of showers in places.

GEM GEM today shows an equally strong build of pressure to the North and NE of the UK once this thundery Low fills up and moves away North by the weekend. Slack winds for a time settle SE for many areas next week with Low pressure fed down into the SW approaches at times and delivering a stronger risk of rain or thundery showers to Southern and Western areas later next week.

NAVGEM NAVGEM prefers to hold on to a very slack pattern next week with High pressure to the NE and light winds and weak Low pressure close to the West with the risk of scattered showers maintained across the UK in luke warm conditions at times.

ECM ECM this morning also shows a lot of slack pressure gradients in the vicinity of the UK over the next 10 days. The current thundery Low moves away North and pressure builds then to the NE and from the SW. As with UKMO a finger of High pressure will likely lieacross the UK ensuring a lot of dry weather and just scattered light showers. With time some erosion of High pressure into slack Low pressure is shown with a greater threat from rain and showers likely to develop towards the end of the run.

ECM 10 DAY MEAN The ECM 10 Day Mean Chart  from last evening gives little clue as to where we will lie synoptically in 10 Days time as the chart itself shows hardly an isobar in sight no doubt made up of a lot of indecision between members between where and  how High or Low pressure will lie in relation to the UK. The most likely scenario thous is a benign pattern similar to what the operationals of many mebers show this morning.

NOTABLE TREND CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS RUNS The models are trending towards  a strong build of pressure over NE Europe which on this morning's charts show varying degree of influence to the weather over the UK.

31 DAY HISTORICAL VERIFICATION STATS FOR GFS, UKMO & ECM The Verification Statistics of GFS, UKMO and ECM. This morning's verification statistics show ECM leading the way at 3 days with 95.7 pts followed by UKMO at 95.3 pts and GFS at 94.4pts. At 5 days ECM is stll king at 85.4 pts followed by UKMO at 84.4 and GFS at 83.5 pts. Then at 8 Days ECM still leads at 58.9 pts over GFS's 55.3 pts. Finally at Day 10 ECM leads GFS at 39.5 pts to 35.8 pts from GFS.

MY THOUGHTS The biggest concistency between all of the output this morning is the build of pressure to the NE next week. One would think this would give us a very good chance of bringing the UK into a sustained period of very warm and settled weather but alas this one looks to be rather different. The problem is that synoptic pressure patterns elsewhere in the Northern hemisphere do not permit it to build a substantial ridge SW across the UK to link to our Azores High without intervention from lower pressure either feeding down from the NW and linking with other lower pressure to the SE leaving the UK under the technical term when we're between two High's and two Low's known as a 'Col' area. These are notoriously difficult to pin down actual weather details under as influences from both the High and Low pressure can occur within them. On this occasion I have looked at the whole output as a whole and I think I can determine that there will be a lot of dry weather around over the next few weeks as that High to the NE doesn't look like going anywhere fast. The problems lie in determining the extent and influence Low pressure has either from the SW later or NW as the blocking High to the NE sends them on a SE trajectory close to the UK and I'm afraid the jury is out on that one at present. One thing I can note is 850 temperatures are never overly high through the next few weeks so we have to rely on surface heating from prolonged sunshine to warm things up and that should happen on occasion for many so while I can't foresee any particularly hot late Summer weather coming up again this morning the conditions could well be acceptable for many much of the time with just scattered showers within a generally benign picture overall far more likely.

Next update from 09:00 Friday Aug 14th 2015

• Like 9

Posted

Days 8-10 undecided at the moment. Euro and GFS have low pressure just about winning, GEM has the high standing firm.

Posted

I'd like to order the GFS 06z run for my trip to the highlands next week :D. Certainly no heatwave but compared to the dreadful weather they have experienced up there most of the summer it's a definite improvement.  Having followed the output closely for a while I think I'm right in saying (the EC32 Knocker?) that the relaxing of the trough to the north west has been signposted for a while for next week. Difficult to predict sunshine amounts but hopefully no deluge and fingers crossed for some useable outdoor weather at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks set fair after Friday right to the end of the month...for me the GFS is almost perfection for this time of the year..dry and warm with low humidity

Posted

I'd like to order the GFS 06z run for my trip to the highlands next week :D. Certainly no heatwave but compared to the dreadful weather they have experienced up there most of the summer it's a definite improvement.  Having followed the output closely for a while I think I'm right in saying (the EC32 Knocker?) that the relaxing of the trough to the north west has been signposted for a while for next week. Difficult to predict sunshine amounts but hopefully no deluge and fingers crossed for some useable outdoor weather at least.

Yes correct NS but not really with this evolution but this could be better for your hols. fingers crossed. Not that hot but settle for warm and dryish/

• Like 2

Posted

The GEFS anomalies tonight on the 18th have the HP cell orientated virtually N/S over Scandinavia with the trough relegated west and a weak low pressure area France  So Scotland should be fine and dry in the SE airflow but the weather far more uncertain in the south..

Thereafter there is some juggling for position with the trough moving a tad east but much the same surface scenario applies by the 21st.

By the 24th the HP to the NE is considerable weaker with the trough to the west stretching down to the SW approaches. Surface wise quite a confused picture with weak HP to the NE and weak LP to the NW and the Azores HP shunted away to the south west.

All a bit messy really but temps not bad and pretty dry and under this scenario the north could well a few days of decent weather.

post-12275-0-25649800-1439492434_thumb.p

post-12275-0-42946100-1439492441_thumb.p

post-12275-0-29733500-1439492447_thumb.p

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1