Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 18z 31/10/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

T192 getting colder as the north to north westerly flow continues to push the colder air further south

ECH1-192.GIF?13-0

ECU0-192.GIF?13-0

giphy.gif

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It could feel raw down the east coast later next week with a strong north to north easterly wind

ECU1-216.GIF?13-0

The cold air remains in place

ECU0-216.GIF?13-0

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That is watering my eyes :shok::crazy:

post-16960-0-82024200-1447440622_thumb.ppost-16960-0-78723700-1447440631_thumb.p

Posted

ECM being very naughty this evening,surely not a Greenland/Siberian HP link coming?

edit..

Anomalies anyone? :shok:

attachicon.gifECH101-192.GIF.png

A thing of beauty lol.I'm not on board until the meto show flickers in their ext outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM being very naughty this evening,surely not a Greenland/Siberian HP link coming?

edit..

Anomalies anyone? :shok:

attachicon.gifECH101-192.GIF.png

It is indeed. Pretty much showing the best case scenario tonight whereas JMA shows what can go wrong even when building heights across greenland.

That said, given the balance of output, GFS fast n flat seems the least likely so that is something to grab on to.

All eyes on tonight's ECM ensembles for a downward trend in temp.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

LOL why not finish with snow giving channel low?

ECH1-240.GIF?13-0

• Like 7

Posted

It would be very interesting to hear if this ECM has any backing from the METO. That ECM would have the potential to produce a long very wintery spell with UK wide ice days and snow.

• Like 3

Posted

A cracking ECMWF run tonight. And promising GEM, NAVGEM and UKMO runs too. I do hope the ECM isn't overdoing the amplifiication as we've seen the model do this several times in the last couple of years. Either way, some fun model watching ahead once again!

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM finally gets round to its favourite pastime, the overly blown-up Greenland High in the D6-D10 range which, from around this time of year onwards, causes a minor meltdown on this forum. The Greenland High is the most perilous pattern change to achieve, 9 out of 10 subtle variations in the weather models seem to erase it as soon as it appears, so it as yet remains the outsider by a long way for me. 

But it is beautiful, so HERE IT IS!!!!

ECM1-240.GIF?13-0

Incidentally, I notice the GEFS has a whole range of beauties such as this:

gens-19-1-240.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It would be very interesting to hear if this ECM has any backing from the METO. That ECM would have the potential to produce a long very wintery spell with UK wide ice days and snow.

I'll go one further- the ECM run is the best opening to winter charts we've seen since 2010. Locked in wintry pattern shown post 168 hours. As Steve M has said that's a 'boom' if it could get to day 5.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

The last few days of model runs have perked my attention lols, and tonight's ECM det is worthy of a post!!

The wheels are set in motion by 144

Recm1441.gif

And by 240 something more "solid" is afoot!!

Recm2401.gif

All in all (although to far out to be taken entirely at face value) things are edging in the right direction for anyone into their colder set ups!

• Like 1

Posted

The last few days of model runs have perked my attention lols, and tonight's ECM det is worthy of a post!!

The wheels are set in motion by 144

Recm1441.gif

And by 240 something more "solid" is afoot!!

Recm2401.gif

All in all (although to far out to be taken entirely at face value) things are edging in the right direction for anyone into their colder set ups!

Get a Siberian-Greenland high link up and you're into '62-'63 territory.....we can dream eh  :rofl:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes the ECM is a cold run alright and if verified would bring some freezing days up north.

There is a but and that is the differences with the amount of ridging off the E.Seaboard as early as day 5, which soon becomes stark as the run goes on with the ECM showing a Greenland high at the end.

We shouldn't have to wait too long before this is resolved as this difference is quite early on.

I think even if the pattern turns out less amplified there is enough ridging in the wavelengths to bring that polar air south towards next weekend.

A look at the UKMO chart at T144hrs

post-2026-0-09082600-1447441673_thumb.gi

a middle ground between the other 2 which is good enough reference point very often.

It does look like around next weekend is the landing point for the coldest air to arrive and this had been well pointed to in recent GFS 2m ens graphs.

First apparent on the 6/11 and followed up through the following days.the 2nd graph was issued on 11/11 and the 3rd one is this evenings output.

post-2026-0-35695000-1447441822_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-74761700-1447441832_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-50528700-1447441837_thumb.pn

Of course further north it will be even colder based on those.

So yes a change to colder conditions is still on but we just need to see those differences in the Op runs resolved wrt the amplification upstream from day 5.This of course would influence how cold it could get,especially further south.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Meanwhile in the more reliable time frame and of great concern, some parts of the UK are looking at the likelihood of significant flooding issues over the weekend and into next week, the NetWx hi-res rainfall totals paint a very grim picture.  

post-9615-0-80815700-1447442527_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-45481400-1447443120_thumb.pn

Potential for another storm in the north on Monday, although not as strong as Abigail but the impacts could be more widely felt.  

post-9615-0-06478600-1447442752_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-21711900-1447442759_thumb.pn

The risk of further rainfall throughout next week which will just exacerbate any flooding issues.

post-9615-0-09018300-1447442658_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-62903300-1447442672_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-37933000-1447442686_thumb.pn

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 5

Posted

ECM ensembles will be very very interesting tonight- solid support at day 6 and it's over to the GFS. I'd love to see a flip from the GFS on the 18z to support the likes of the GEM and ECM but that's probably hoping for too much. Still, any move towards those models by the GFS would see feedback mechanisms take over anyway I suspect- the upshot of this being it'd probably get there eventually but maybe not as quick as the ECM tonight. We await with interest...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I have moved a couple of posts with no model discussion to the ramp thread

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83902-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-autumnwinter-201516/page-33

so just a reminder to keep on topic and please use the ramp thread if you feel your post is more suitable there.

Thanks all. :)

Posted

Not wanting to dampen the building excitement on here but i couldnt help noticing the big fat HP centred over Iberia shown in those charts posted by Phil.

That could be a foe for the South, in coming weeks if it does not shift v much.

• Like 4

Posted

ECM delivers an early Christmas cracker for cold lovers but we have been here before with it over recent winters so I can understand the suspicion that this will be another let down.

At this point I'd back its view at least in terms of the phasing/timing upstream over the central USA. This does have good support from the other models bar the GFS.

For the GFS to be right then the ECM/UKMO/GEM/JMA would all have to be wrong at T144hrs, indeed even at T120hrs the others are already beginning to phase the north/southern jet streams and the GFS isn't interested.

The changeover to cold is not as simple as it could be because of the long train of low heights which runs sw/ne, you'll note that as the upstream flow amplifies one parcel of energy gets separated and runs sw. You're not dealing with a simple flow amplifies upstream ridge builds into Greenland clean northerly scenario, these parcels of low heights like the UKMO has at T144hrs over sw Greenland are still complications.

Its for this reason that I'd urge some caution in viewing the ECM's later output, the JMA solution shows how things could get more complicated. If things turn out more like the JMA then you can still get to cold as long as you get trough disruption from that Atlantic low this then can sever the connection between the Euro high and the high over Greenland.

So I think we need a few more runs and agreement upstream and a better idea of how the models will handle those complications before getting too excited about tonights ECM.

• Like 3