Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 18z 31/10/15 onwards

Posted

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

I just came in to post about ECM London ensembles.

Wide scatter from day 6 with plenty of milder options but what caught my eye was that any clustering is on the colder side.

Also the average dropping to around 6c from the 22nd since;

a) It is a clear trend line and not a blip.

b) Given the scatter if the colder solutions prove correct actually temps will be a good deal colder come the time.

c) This is London and since any cold attack looks likely to come from the North rather than the East temps will likely be a couple of C colder in the North.

Edit.

Great to read some encouragement from Fergie. Hope to see the MetO 15 30 day forecasts reflect this soon as that will show the MetO has some confidence in a colder spell developing later in the month.

Interesting times indeed. :)

The control run takes even more of a nose dive!

epsgram_at_reading!epsgram.gif

• Like 9

Posted

Even though it's not a given re a cold shot gaining momentum,I'd have thought the mo extended range would've been tweaked a few days ago to reflect what us amateurs are now viewing.If it comes off,we'll done to BFTP for touting this a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

Posted

re this

There is at least at this time however no indicated support for any sustained collapse of the strong Nino till at least later in the winter 

The latest official update link is below

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/index.shtml

• Like 5

Posted

^^^ It's only the 6z so I would not worry about the downgrading of the transitional cold toppler.

I'm not sure what this means. The 06Z is the same computer model run on the same computers as the 12Z and 18Z etc. The only difference is that every 6 hours the program is run with the updated initial conditions.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?13-17

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?12

The UKMO is certainly the most amplified, mainly due to a much more potent blast of cold air over the central parts of the USA, this in terms amplifies the pattern downstream. The GFS whilst showing greater amplification than previous runs still shows a flatter pattern with a cut off low over the same area until the cold air from Canada finally breaks through and engages this cold pool. Looking at this mornings models the UKMO seems to sit with the ECM in handling that part of the world which would give support to the later evolution from the ECM. This solution I tend to have a bit more faith in in terms of preserving the height anomaly over the Eastern seaboard as opposed to pushing it east and flattening out the pattern (AKA GFS).

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Well, the ECMWFs next viewing will reveal something interesting for next weekend regarding snow potential for the North.

C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Indeed, I think it is a important time/reminder to realise how uncertain & dynamic it can be. :)

As you posted just days ago which subsequently caused a lot of hissy fitting.

This was posted only 4 days ago it truly does pay testament to how sudden things can evolve. Typically in the UK it seems the inverse of this happens again nothing is guaranteed but it us undeniable something is brewing.

So what if this turns out to be a brief PM incursion once it hits a reliable timeframe and we return to a more westerly regime? Ian did not mention anything about cold shots not happenning at all, just the general winter period signals at the time of his posting.

We could see a couple of spells of snow yet still end up with positive monthly anomalies right?

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes Chris and the Models continue to show that broad pattern from West to North.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

GEM is insane at just 150hrs

gemnh-0-150.png?12

Perhaps more importantly it backs the UKMO over the GFS RE what happens over the states with a deeper cold plunge over there.

GFS is grim into FI- not something I'd want to see repeated on the 18z!

And with possible reloads in it's latter frames :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If ECM goes with UKMO and GEM then I think we have to weight towards that situation- however the GFS is horrid and no matter how many models go against it, I will always remain very cautious until the moment it backs down!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves

Hi all are we seeing a back track with the gfs .Will the ecm go the same way will the cold snap cold spell happin we will see

Edited by abbie123456

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

If ECM goes with UKMO and GEM then I think we have to weight towards that situation- however the GFS is horrid and no matter how many models go against it, I will always remain very cautious until the moment it backs down!

Let's hope ECM sticks to its guns and we get a nice JMA this evening, that wills ettle the nerves a little (until the next run :) )

As we all know it is quite diffiicult to get air cold enough over the UK to support snow falling to low levels and there are sure to be ups and downs along the way this time as well.

Looking at GFS ensembles for N England, they do seem to be getting progressivlely colder (by small amrgins) each run so they are at least very slowly trending the right way even though the Op is not keen.

Hopefully we will see the mean 850 temp drop below the magic -5 over the next few days.

The change to a cooler/colder flow is tantalisingly just outside any reliable timeframe so it will be case of siit back and enjoy the ride (or not) over the next few days.

Over to ECM/JMA.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well hello Greenland...

ECH1-168.GIF?13-0

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

High pressure building over Greenland low pressure to our east leaving us in a north to north westerly flow

ECH1-168.GIF?13-0

-8 850's slowly filtering down into Scotland

ECU0-168.GIF?13-0

Any precipitation would be turning increasingly wintry in the north

:cold:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Im back for the winter and what interesting synoptics we have for late November! Time frame that needs to be watched is 120hrs, GFS fails to get enough WAA towards Greenland and allows a lobe of the PV to break through the block over E USA and flatten it:

gfsnh-0-120.png?12gfsnh-0-192.png?12

GEM and ECM have a much more amplified pattern where enough WAA is allowing the block to strengthen, and therefore blocks any low pressure systems. In doing this it forces more WAA towards Greenland as these lows become -vely tilted and therefore strengthening the block:

gemnh-0-120.png?12ECH1-120.GIF?13-0

Subsequently we get charts like these developing, 2 days after:

ECH1-168.GIF?13-0gemnh-0-168.png?12

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 3