Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England and East Anglia weather discussion/chat - 15th November 2015 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

It's felt so cold today whilst out on a walk and just came in from a shirt drive where car thermometer said 4c. According to Meto it's 8c but definitely felt colder than that. Hoping it drops further for a wee dusting tomorrow morning :) xx

Posted

Does anyone think it will be cold enough for us to get falling snow? And where is everyone by the way? I thought there were quite a few coldies living here in the S/E?

Temp 4.4C , dew 3C and dropping, colder then forecasted  :)

YES! That IS good news! :)

I don't know how cold it is in Chatham. I haven't checked

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Suffolk Ski centre is in Ipswich, just a few miles from me. Hope that snow symbol has some truth in it, but I won't be holding my breath!

Banter between Norfolk and Suffolk? Never! :)

Coincidentally, was up in Norfolk today and saw Mulbarton on a road sign!

Apologies for not replying before now.  I suspect you were either on the A11 near Wymondham or at the A140/B1113 junction. :)

Lovely bright end to the day here with some nice cloud formations to my north.

• Like 1

Posted

Dew points tomorrow crucial for settling snow

To be truthful I will be sattisfied with seeing snow fall I'm not asking for much perhaps I am. :p

Snow reports to the N/W the bitter PM air is working its way down the country.

Far too warm at the moment 7C the dew point is going the right way though at 2C.

• Like 1

To be truthful I will be sattisfied with seeing snow fall I'm not asking for much perhaps I am. :p

Snow reports to the N/W the bitter PM air is working its way down the country.

Far too warm at the moment 7C the dew point is going the right way though at 2C.

Long way to go ideally you want 0 all round, even then you got a warm pocket in the atmosphere no good.

I doubt very much anyone will see snow, and this is because the cold does not have time to establish itself enough, it only takes one pesky warm sector to sleep in and game over.

Also, the models have not taken into account wind direction will be absolute key.

You got a raging 40-50mph wind coming in of the sea that will mix in some warmer air.

I hope some gets lucky though good luck all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Hello all! It's winter and it's getting colder so I'm back! There is a hint of snow in the forecast and despite the fact that I feel it unlikely to be worth getting excited about I am on tenterhooks! Love snow!!! Will keep you posted on any white stuff here in Tunbridge Wells.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I reckon this will be a bit of a fizzle event all round for the south. But getting a cold blast nearly 2 weeks from winter with a risk of snow, ice and snow building well in the northern hemisphere and models all over hinting at a more stable cold coming is just what we want.

Good luck to all, if you see some flakes then it's a great start to this winter

• Like 1

Posted

I reckon this will be a bit of a fizzle event all round for the south. But getting a cold blast nearly 2 weeks from winter with a risk of snow, ice and snow building well in the northern hemisphere and models all over hinting at a more stable cold coming is just what we want.

Good luck to all, if you see some flakes then it's a great start to this winter

It will be for us in Gillingham/Medway as most of us under 150m. Even if we get any precip it'll be the likes of blue bell hill that might get some settling on grass/cars but more than likely wet snow....still good for end of Nov

Gills!

Edited by Nemesis

Posted

Long way to go ideally you want 0 all round, even then you got a warm pocket in the atmosphere no good.

I doubt very much anyone will see snow, and this is because the cold does not have time to establish itself enough, it only takes one pesky warm sector to sleep in and game over.

Also, the models have not taken into account wind direction will be absolute key.

You got a raging 40-50mph wind coming in of the sea that will mix in some warmer air.

I hope some gets lucky though good luck all!

Oddly you was talking about settling snow lol I assumed you was quite confident :help:

I do think you'll see the white stuff being to the west of London out in deepest/darkest Surrey :cc_confused:

Ideally you want that for snow to settle and to some extent those onshore winds will have a impact on coastal towns by the warm North Sea the air ain't really warmer - although it may cause some convention, it will probably just be just rain, sleet at a push along coast. I have an idea we will be surprised about the outcome.

I've cursed it now :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

A seeming downgrade. Oh well, can only be a happy surprise if we get anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A seeming downgrade. Oh well, can only be a happy surprise if we get anything.

Expect Nothing, then if do get nothing won't be surprised, if we get something your be delighted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I see the same issue with the warmer ocean temps earlier today on radar, as the cold uppers were pushing down and PPN with it, around edinburgh, it wasn't untill maybe 5 miles inland that the precipitation started turning to sleet. I think it depends on the DP, thickness (which should be fine) uppers I've not looked at, but they were low when I last checked, and actual air temp, that'll be marginal.

From a straight northerly I could get something here, if it was a NE'ly I'd have literally no time to get the rain turning to slow, sleet, snow :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I won't be abe to see the conditions at Benfleet tomorrow, as I'll be in Stratford, I am hoping for a bit of falling snow, where ever I am, Tomorrow is the Race of Champions in the former Olympic Stadium :)

Oh and the current temp is 5.1c, DP 2c (ish). Need to get Cumulus running again to see the actual figure!

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Apologies for not replying before now. I suspect you were either on the A11 near Wymondham or at the A140/B1113 junction. :)

Lovely bright end to the day here with some nice cloud formations to my north.

Yes, was on the A11 heading to Wymondham :)

Not holding out much hope for snow round here now, although still a chance of a few flakes tomorrow evening when the coldest air will be with us.

Edited by Long haul to mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

As with last year, those little increases in 850 temperature within 48 hours is probably enough to turn a potential widespread snow event into a pretty grotty Saturday with cold rain and very strong northerly winds. What a difference a couple of degrees could do, a wet Saturday to a widespread blizzard.

If only.....  :cc_confused:

Today was pretty chilly, a cloudy start but it turned sunny around lunchtime and stayed that way.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

Just had some sleet where I am. Might be a promising sign.

That's good to hear :)

We have no dreaded mild sector to contend with currently it will be good to utilise the coming hours we have when it is more optimal to snow.

Posted

Not expecting anything here. A bit of sleet if we are lucky, too central to see any of the white stuff.

Edited by Cheese Rice