Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cool Spring like day here with wall to wall sunshine and light winds, Temp 7c

Posted

A few pics from my stroll just.

20160210_150559_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20160210_145041_Richtone(HDR).jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Now, we always know these downgrade, but I have been watching this! could it be a Feb 4th 2012? or the usual me being too low and west? sort of setup that will deliver a dumping of snow to higher areas east and north, still deep FI but needs a shift west for snow here

h850t850eu.png

Posted

Not really inspired by the possibility of any upcoming snow I'm afraid.

It might simply be that the these past 3 winters have drained my enthusiasm in looking for it. I haven't really seen much in the forecasts yet though I did notice it started to appear a bit in Saturday's forecast.

The next big snow event here will probably sneak up when I'm not looking and surprise me...which I wouldn't mind to be honest!

Edited by Gord

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gord said:

It might simply be that the these past 3 winters have drained my enthusiasm in looking for it. I haven't really seen much in the forecasts yet though I did notice it started to appear a bit in Saturday's forecast.

The next big snow event here will probably sneak up when I'm not looking and surprise me...which I wouldn't mind to be honest!

neither am I here, but if I lived on a hill I would be, half term wednesday Gordon, you may get lucky, just that bit height

Posted
7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

neither am I here, but if I lived on a hill I would be, half term wednesday Gordon, you may get lucky, just that bit height

Sometimes height doesn't matter...depends on where the cold air is. Boxing Day 2014 is a great example..a real wet and wintry mess here where as places a tiny bit further north, and lower down, like yourself, got a lot more snow. (Usual exceptions like the Peak District where height is everything!)

It is half term next week but I'm not a teacher anymore. But I now drive the trams between Wolves and Brum so can enjoy looking at the weather even more!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
7 minutes ago, Gord said:

Most forecasts are showing snow now for the Midlands on Saturday into Sunday but get what you mean from the previous let downs, model fatigue does set in. What will Shef show tonight lol.

Posted

for this 17th setup though, we need the whole setup further West, mild sector needs squeezing out

could it be the usual, and wet, or could models start to trend the Atlantic much further west? meaning no snow the 'other way' and the front dosen't make it past the Irish sea, seen that before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, snowangel32 said:

Most forecasts are showing snow now for the Midlands on Saturday into Sunday but get what you mean from the previous let downs, model fatigue does set in. What will Shef show tonight lol.

Shef was at her teasing best Snow angel...

Said that there was 'potential' for a snowy spell but that it may move North for a while.

She then indicated it could move back southwards on Sunday though.

All the time she was showing off/displaying all her charms.... No I don't mean those...

I mean hiding behind her veil of snowflakes,....  much more alluring.:D:D:D

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Fax charts have front very north, so we are all in the mild air fax72s.gif?1

Looks similar to what mia posted above   I wouldn't say very north  a. Time for corrections

Posted

1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Shef was at her teasing best Snow angel...

Said that there was 'potential' for a snowy spell but that it may move North for a while.

She then indicated it could move back southwards on Sunday though.

All the time she was showing off/displaying all her charms.... No I don't mean those...

I mean hiding behind her veil of snowflakes,....  much more alluring.:D:D:D

MIA

Yh still could go either way dont like the latest fax chart but that also changes like the wind. This will go down to the wire. 

Glad you like Shefs charms lol;):girl_devil:

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for this 17th setup though, we need the whole setup further West, mild sector needs squeezing out

could it be the usual, and wet, or could models start to trend the Atlantic much further west? meaning no snow the 'other way' and the front dosen't make it past the Irish sea, seen that before

prectypeuktopo.png

mentioned the possibility earlier, Atlantic front does not make it far enough east on 18Z, snowless run this for low levels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
17 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Cannot stand chef, useless at weather

So whose talking about the weather?

Temp dropped to -2.3C  here overnight, now at about 7C. (max)

I normally divide min and max / 2 and if near 0C indicates snow... moving more progressively up until no chance at 3C.

so we are definately at the sleet stage at the moment, but for anything else, we need a couple of degrees lower max's and mins.

Come on now lets all work together 1 2 3 'The power of positive thinking'.

MIA

Posted
22 hours ago, Gord said:

Looks like another let down all those snow symbols are now rain and Shef said very slim chance of snow, next hope next Wednesday lol:wallbash:

Posted

pleased to see Saturdays rain looks off, dry now, GFS not great for mid week now, 00Z was very good

today first convective clouds formed, stronger sun now

Posted

Sorry, I'm about to sound really negative and will probably get slated but here goes...

Once again, this winter has a feel about it that any potential snow event just won't work out.

I've been quietly comparing the models with actual forecasts over the past week.

The models have, at times, flirted with the idea of there being some snow about last Tuesday, then tomorrow, then Saturday...and now again mid week next week.

The actual forecasts have had none of it...Met Office did have a bit of snow forecast for Saturday but have since removed it.

The online forecasts get a lot of stick on here...but I think they have performed this week, never getting carried away and not one time did I see a snow risk on them for last Tuesday or tomorrow. (To be fair to the models, last Tuesdays threat did quickly disappear)

It's been an interesting week reading this forum and then looking at the forecasts that most of the general public will use.

In a nutshell...I think the Met Office have done damn well this winter and it's certainly helping me keep my feet on the ground while there's the faint sniff of snowy potential wafting through the forums!

Edited by Gord

Posted

it's not called the m☺dern era for nothing gordon! not being negative gordon just realistic, next week will be a whimper breakdown from the west, not a flake, then back to normal westerlies next week, enough of the fantasy now

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252