Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
7 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Amber for Snow now here. That's it jinxed!

That's no a snaw warning, it's a horizontal snaw / blizzard warning.:diablo:

You're right though, probably jinxed now. I mean they even mention Thundersnaw, which is just asking for light drizzle and a modest breeze.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted

Moffat is not far off the middle of the warning area and with DP's projected -3 to -4. if the ppn gets through, it could be one to remember :)

"A band of rain will move in from the northwest on Friday evening and quickly turn to snow before it clears. Frequent snow showers are then expected overnight and well into Saturday, heavy at times, with some more prolonged spells of snow likely. 5 to 10 cm snowfall is likely to accumulate quite widely, with over 15 cm in places above 300 metres. Ice is also likely to form on untreated surfaces. In addition, gusts of 50-60 mph are likely at times, occasionally 70 mph across the far north and west of the amber area and over mountains. This will lead to blizzard conditions at times and drifting of snow. Power supplies may be disrupted by ice accretion and also by lightning strikes, with hail also likely. Be prepared for transport disruption, difficult driving conditions and disruption to power supplies."

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Seems to have kicked up a gear here again after calming down somewhat.   Put in a few webcams from around Fife which lets you see how localised everything is:   Really gusty in the showers.

aircam_pic.php.jpg

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Peak gusts here were around 7AM. Uni site recorded 91mph. Usually a bit stronger on the bridge which I think is still closed. Some Fifers did arrive in the office but got across by train.

Posted

Beautiful radar imagery today, Metoffice upgrades can only be a good thing surely? haha Temperature is dropping 4.8C at school, probably 4 on a sensor, so maybe we will get down to more favourable temps for snow in the next few hours.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We've had a very blustery morning with some damaging gusts, relatively calm now but will probably be back on again soon. Temperature falling away and already down to 2'C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

3C* at sea level now on the Black Isle. Phenomenomenomenal gusts still.

*forecast to be 6.5C just now according to NW so that's er a pretty poor forecast!!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Really nasty hail shower blowing through. Wind still blowing a hoolie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nuff said!:D

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Hoolie->breezy->hoolie->breezy->hoolie->you get the idea.

Largely sunny though, but when the showers make it this far across they are sharp and heavy. Temp still on a downward trend but not cool enough that I'd expect to see anything but rain, not yet anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Temp down to 3.2 and sleety.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Still hanging here at 5 C in the SE.

Colder air does seem to be moving in quicker than expected. I note the MetO have moved my rain to snaw transition to an hour earlier. Maybe will see this shift again.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Still hanging here at 5 C in the SE.

Colder air does seem to be moving in quicker than expected. I note the MetO have moved my rain to snaw transition to an hour earlier. Maybe will see this shift again.

The NAE suggests there should be -4 uppers widely by mid-afternoon which will be a good start for hill snow

nmm_uk1-16-9-0.png?29-11

nmm_uk1-18-11-0.png?29-11

a brief warm-up late evening

nmm_uk1-16-14-0.png?29-11

nmm_uk1-18-15-0.png?29-11

before the proper cold air digs in for 24 hours

nmm_uk1-16-26-0.png?29-11

nmm_uk1-18-24-0.png?29-11

though uppers are not as low as GFS and Euro4 modelled (-8 to -10C), DP's are good from midnight for 24 hours which is well reflected in the Met Office forecast which projects snow (not sleet) in temps that occasionally creep up to 2 degrees tomorrow ... http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcvdc9ryg#?fcTime=1454112000

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, she passed over us and we were unscathed! Still a few drips here and there but nothing we can't deal with, so we got off lightly. I would not like to be in Shetland right now. That's what I call baaaaaaad! Stay safe all in Shetland! Stay in, don't go out, coorie doon wi' a large dram! Turning very cold now, temp down to 3.5, very chilly wind, sleet and rain. I see we have a wee respite over the weekend.....then BOOM! Back to normal. And off course, our builder is supposed to be coming back on Monday! We'll see, we'll see!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just had a heavy shower of wet snow / hail. Wintry conditions seem to be settling in much earlier than forecast?

• Like 2

Posted

Don't think I need elaborate that it was a tad nuts this morning, dodging trees across the a9, lashing rain and some lightening visible above the Black Isle on the way to Inverness 

Had some horizontal snow showers in the last couple of hours, garden gradually turning white just now. Forecast indicates a multi hour blizzard from early evening so we're finishing jan 2016 like 15. Just hope the power stays on. Enjoy the snow if it comes your way peeps, it'll be tasty if it does. 1.8c

• Like 9