Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Were did the snow come from???? Just looked out the window and big fat flakes!

Same thing here but now turned back to rain.   Colder air aloft?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Same thing here but now turned back to rain.   Colder air aloft?

Must be digging in behind. Intermittently moderately heavy and proper snow - not that wet sleety pish!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
7 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Were did the snow come from???? Just looked out the window and big fat flakes!

Same here :) Heaviest snow I've seen in a long while, and quite amazingly the cars, shed, fences......and even the fields are white!

• Like 3

Posted

May pick up something a bit more longer lasting come Saturday?

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 4

Posted

Just finished feeding/bedding cattle cows back inside from neeps moderate rain on at 2c with heavy snow falling at 700 feet just to the south of us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Just finished feeding/bedding cattle cows back inside from neeps moderate rain on at 2c with heavy snow falling at 700 feet just to the south of us.

Same here with just mongooses. Same old crap.

• Like 1

Posted

Sun(?) out finally after heavy rain this morning.   Feeling chillier too.   Aunts funeral took place yesterday (after a 2 1/2 week wait) in slicing rain and wind.  What I would term a perfect day for a funeral!

Don't think the current chillier air will last more than a few hours though before back to mildish until (hopefully) colder shot at the weekend.

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Beautiful blue skies and white hills with snow down to about 350 to 400m. 

Temperature dropped to 2.9 in school so high 1s in reality and not surprised as there was a moment when it looked like rain was turning to snow. Possibly it did above 100m for a time. 

And I thought this was going to be nothing but the beginning...we might be in for a treat over the weekend! 

• Like 1

Posted

Meto warnings out for ice and wintry showers tonight, accumulations above 150m and down to lower levels at times. The showers look decent on radar...

1216 on Wed 27 Jan 2016

Valid from: 
1800 on Wed 27 Jan 2016

Valid to: 
0900 on Thu 28 Jan 2016

Scattered, wintry showers are expected across Scotland this evening and overnight, and with road temperatures often falling below freezing there is the risk of some icy patches developing. These showers will also bring some snow accumulations above 150-200m, with some temporary wet snow to lover levels.

Who's on a lover level and feeling lucky tonight?:rofl:

Wind&Rain warnings also out for Friday...

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 6

Posted
On 26/01/2016 at 7:24 AM, GraemeB said:

With relation the the GFS and the snow "event" on Saturday, to be fair to it, it's had that modelled since Saturday/Sunday so is clearly sticking to it's guns.   Still think Friday night going into Saturday, something a bit special is on the cards (not really basing that on anything scientific, more just a rumbling in the tummy and intuition...oh and not necessarily snow either)

prudent.jpg

Edited by GraemeB
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

We had a dry night here ( yay! ) and woke to light cloud and temp of 4c. Then the sky cleared ( yay! ) and we had blue sky for all of 30 minutes. Then it rained and has been going strong ever since. Nothing like yesterday thankfully, but I've forgotten what a whole dry day feels like. Builders fairly cracking on now, hopefully the roof will be finished by the weekend and we can move back into our bedroom. Everywhere just feels so damp, roll on having the central heating back on!

• Like 3

Posted

Shocking weather here in Guildford today. Wet and windy, and surrounding areas looking very saturated.

Very interesting landing at Gatwick this morning, and not looking forward to flight home tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Cheggers said:

Shocking weather here in Guildford today. Wet and windy, and surrounding areas looking very saturated.

Very interesting landing at Gatwick this morning, and not looking forward to flight home tonight.

Shouldn't be as bad this evening as it was this morning.  Hope you're not planning another flight for tomorrow :bad::shok:

Suddenly feels like the side of the house is being used for target practice by trainee firemen, gonna have to ask them to desist before they find the cracks!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Snow warning out for Fri into Sat.

Edit: Mostly for north of the central belt in the wording though. Bit surprised as I thought it was looking quite good for here. They obviously know different.

Edited by Kayemill

Posted

Snowing from about 200m as I headed south from Inverness, lying from about 250m+. Teensy wee covering back here at the house and snowing lightly. Looking good for a few more showers this evening&tonight, before returning to wet mush again tomorrow it seems. Currently -0.2c

Posted

We'll see what Sat brings, as already mentioned it has been a persistent feature in the models and so at least we know it's on the way and it certainly looks like it could have moderate impact even on lower ground, even in places not mentioned, for a time. 

Let's face it, it's still a good 72h away until it really begins, the metoffice haven't got a clue as to what's going to happen, but neither do we really. That's where model watching gets addictive, needless to say haha

So sensor's out for a change and obvs recording like a lot less than school yano. 

3.8 / 5.1 to be precise. 

Snaw has melted noticeably throughout the unexpected sunny spell but ahhh beautiful times. The surviving snow patch on King's Seat is very visible again but it's nice to see surrounded by a touch of new snow which should freeze in the coming hours, me hopes. Thurs/Fri look like another super duper time but then we get a bonus track on Saturday and 'heat' (+8º) seems to never come back after...que sera, sera, one efffffin year in a decent part of the country to see snaw and it turns out to be one of the mildest! Going home on Thurs next week until the 13th, I think I will come back and find a colder edge to things

There's even more to come next week, they're calling this one Storm Nail cos it's the final one in the coffin for a lot of parts after the weather recently:

image.thumb.gif.85e5a1e74a6edc71ae06dde6

Posted

Exciting times, sensor is reading 0.7 and there's showers on the way so we'll see. School 2.9. Beautiful starry skies. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There's even more to come next week, they're calling this one Storm Nail cos it's the final one in the coffin for a lot of parts after the weather recently:

image.thumb.gif.85e5a1e74a6edc71ae06dde6

I think I'd be tempted to call that one angel delight as that's what it'll do to quite a few things.

Edit... Ach, never mind.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
24 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

GFS 18z and the 12z FAX charts have really gone for it on Monday. 80mph gusts at rush hour through the central belt. 

Your spot on Catch ..in fact there's a lot of very interesting weather popping up,over the next few days. Definetely a very good chance of extreme gusts both tomorrow,Friday and Monday...and certainly  some snow risk too. Exciting times ahead:cold:

Posted

A few more snow showers overnight with a low of -1c, the wee rural roads are simply lethal, though the snow plough/gritter guys in these parts are great at keeping up with whatever winter brings to the main routes

I hope Misty's builder is finished that roof because tomorrow looks hellish (again). Red bull gives you wings, though in some parts of Scotland all you need is an oversized jacket or a big set of lugs

• Like 4