Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Just watched a mountain hare run on top of a   moving  avalanche and escape it on Winterwatch on the   BBC using its large feet to keep it on the top of the moving avalanche. Absolutely amazing footage.      Currently  8c breezy and dry.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Horrible, horrible scary drive down the M9 to work in Edinburgh this morning. So many places where the water pools and forms small ponds, especially in the fast lane. It was a toss up between staying behind a massive lorry, spraying me liberally or risking an overtake and aquaplaning along in the fast lane, while being tailgated by a "special person" (i.e. someone far more important than me who needed to get past me so he could tailgate the car in front). I switched between the two techniques and managed not to kill myself or anyone else but it took me 1.30 to do what's normally a 40 min journey. 

Rant over, did someone say it might snow on Saturday? 

Don't get me started on bumper lickers. Yep usually 4 cars in front of me and I politely wait 3 car lengths behind. Mr 4*4 sits on your bumper expecting you to move. I maintain the gap and don't move. It's great watching their heads shake and eyes goggle. If they try and undertake I close the gap. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 minutes ago, November13 said:

Don't get me started on bumper lickers. Yep usually 4 cars in front of me and I politely wait 3 car lengths behind. Mr 4*4 sits on your bumper expecting you to move. I maintain the gap and don't move. It's great watching their heads shake and eyes goggle. If they try and undertake I close the gap. 

I've fantasised about letting them undertake then returning the favour.  I actually did it once - a long time ago, officer - and it was worth it to see the purple face and shaking fist.  Except that was a young woman in a Micra...

• Like 4

Posted

Good morning everyone!

Cold rain this morning at 4.5C so I am guessing a sensor would be reading high 3s, wondering at what height snow is falling, maybe 500m? 

Still, I was expecting a bit more from the way they portrayed it on the beebs last night; Glasgow and Edin are dry atm, ppn only affecting South Ayrshire, Dumfries and the Borders. Then there's the wee line, under which I delight myself in being, that runs the breadth and length of the Ochils drawing an arch of yellow tonalities which merge with bluer ones and die out in the sea. Dundee and N of that seem affected by rain too, even the NE bit of land where it never rains (very impressive example of rain shadow as well) is suffering windy pish presumably. 

Aw love Scotland, I really do, it's always a surprise! 

Have a good day everyone. 

• Like 2

Hopefully it's an indication of things to come and not simply a blip in the charts, but there are indications of less blocking over Europe. The first chart is older and shows oranges over Europe indicating a greater chance of high pressure, the second chart is this morning's 500mb mean and indicates a lower chance than previously of high pressure over Europe. It might not lead to cold for us but we defo ain't going to see cold with high pressure dominating Europe so it's got to be good:

image.thumb.gif.89f9b170ce2f484b8e601435image.thumb.gif.01f302d8fcc73a517c050dfe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Biblical rain here right now.

Absolutely thrashing down. Not sure how I can make it to the car to go to work without getting soaked.

4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Biblical rain here right now.

Absolutely thrashing down. Not sure how I can make it to the car to go to work without getting soaked.

Wait until tonight and it might be snow? 

image.thumb.gif.b90315dba798997c8b329404

Posted

Yummy chart. 

Daylight has answered my question, there's nae lying snow at 500m so only place left now are the invisible tops, almost always wearing their greyish cloaks. Still, there is one wee patch-survivor way up on the King's Seat so praying for it to be showered with some snaw later on tonight, even if we get rain/sleet at 2C which is what the MetO forecasts. Looks to me like another sit where upper Dollar will see falling snow and we in the lower parts will see weird-looking rain. 

Looking forward to Saturday now though, as I said never a dull moment, is there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

You think the weather yesterday was bad! It's not windy but I swear we've entered Indian monsoon season! Lashing doesn't even describe how bad it is. Standing water is now lakes! Just awful conditions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I hesitate to say it given the above....3.6C here at around 8:45am, dead calm, uniform sheet of grey cloud, but only some light drizzle. Got that really damp feeling to the air.

This morning's ECM run has a very nice look to it in the latter stages...

ECM1-192.GIF?27-12

ECM0-192.GIF?27-12

ECM1-240.GIF?27-12

ECM0-240.GIF

Got to be taken with a huge pinch of salt at that range though, especially since the GFS is completely different at the same timescale.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Looks like another heavy burst of rai..... no, anaprop again!  Maybe the air's so wet it looks like rain to the radar... it's either that or the sodding nelly seagulls. Or geese.

Yes some charts look a bit better now than they did a few days ago but it's beyond belief yet.

Today's highlights include a visit from the chimney sweep and an accountant.  I know which will get the cup of tea.

Posted
1 hour ago, snowy owl said:

You think the weather yesterday was bad! It's not windy but I swear we've entered Indian monsoon season! Lashing doesn't even describe how bad it is. Standing water is now lakes! Just awful conditions. 

Grim here this morning too, Snowy. Very wet, temp 5c, dark and dreich. 

• Like 1

Posted

Relentless rain and a loss of a full degree which was not forecast so we are at 3.5, probably sensor would read 3 or high 2s. King's Seat is getting a decent snowfall above 400m now yaaay

• Like 1

Jedburgh this morning via someone on Facebook! 

Not in the same league at my house but part of the road further down was over a foot deep, the dogs were swimming in it:

image.thumb.jpeg.186243c800be5ce1217db41image.thumb.jpeg.2b8853906b12e56f155a8d8image.thumb.jpeg.0599a277fdc288745bb387e

Edit: It's pretty much carnage on the roads across the south, there's houses and other property flooded out and some parts further north are having it bad again too. All under a yellow weather warning from the Met. Really? 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
14 hours ago, snowidea said:

Horrible, horrible scary drive down the M9 to work in Edinburgh this morning. So many places where the water pools and forms small ponds, especially in the fast lane. It was a toss up between staying behind a massive lorry, spraying me liberally or risking an overtake and aquaplaning along in the fast lane, while being tailgated by a "special person" (i.e. someone far more important than me who needed to get past me so he could tailgate the car in front). I switched between the two techniques and managed not to kill myself or anyone else but it took me 1.30 to do what's normally a 40 min journey. 

Rant over, did someone say it might snow on Saturday? 

I've mentioned this before but I think it is worth bringing up again. When I'm getting tailgated I like to switch on the fog lights and accelerate at the same time. Watch them slam on the brakes as you resume a safe distance from them. They get the message. :diablo:

• Like 2

Posted

Hate to say it, but this extremo wet weather has become pretty much standard fayre. Yesterday, the uppper Annan at Moffat was running at 99.7 % of its all time SEPA recorded high, and that itself would have been a record high level up until 3 weeks ago. I think the media are getting flood reporting fatigue.

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 2

Posted

Went from 3.1c to 1.6 in 30 minutes. now have sleet. Cold air undercutting now.

5 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Hate to say it, but this extremo wet weather has become pretty much standard fayre. Yesterday, the uppper Annan at Moffat was running at 99.7 % of its all time SEPA recorded high, and that itself would have been a record high level up until 3 weeks ago. I think the media are getting flood reporting fatigue.

If only we could get snow fatigue :D 

Posted
4 minutes ago, November13 said:

Went from 3.1c to 1.6 in 30 minutes. now have sleet. Cold air undercutting now.

Cheers.  Just looked out the window and it's big fat snow flakes here :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If only we could get snow fatigue :D 

What is this strange, hitherto unknown aliment you speak of?

Just checked, overnight low in Dyce was 3.8C and it's only climbed to 4.2C so far. Raining now, moderately.

Posted

Rain just about cleared here now sun coming out but you can see on the mountains out to the west where the snow has fallen to and where it cuts off (the snow line I assume)