Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Another theme that NL will recognise is how all the seasons, not just winter, have been getting delayed over the last few years, giving a very slow start to the growing season and then sometimes a late extra burst of warmth to help ripen crops and keep the grass growing...  If I was a farmer, I'd be very keen on serious amounts of research on climate change just now.

It's almost as if we're running 2 months out of sync at the moment, given how cold (and on the hills snowy) spring 2015 was, then finally some more settled conditions coming in during September and October, I walked 7 or 8 miles on Rannoch Moor in a t-shirt at the start of November and December and January so far have been decidedly autumnal on the mountains. There's still potentially 4 months of winter or more left on the Scottish Mountains, so plenty of time for an infuriating snowsports season to turn around, but if you imagined it was just  late November, it would all be very seasonal and would have been for the last year!

Edited by skifreak
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
3 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Needs to be >15c and sunny for tops off weather :D

Aye, current status is clearly 'taps oan' in Glasgow as you'd expect:

http://www.taps-aff.co.uk/

taps_oan.JPG

---

As for the models; not looking that mild on tonight runs; more chilly after a few short-lived mild incursions, but still Atlantic dominated.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The days grow longer and the cold grows stronger...

Yes my  mothers favourite saying and remember she was the Londoner who said "Spring does"nthappen in Scotland  but  Summer arrives on the 1st of June

Posted
22 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Another theme that NL will recognise is how all the seasons, not just winter, have been getting delayed over the last few years, giving a very slow start to the growing season and then sometimes a late extra burst of warmth to help ripen crops and keep the grass growing...  If I was a farmer, I'd be very keen on serious amounts of research on climate change just now.

In total agreement with you there if it was "nt for earlier maturing  cereals  and vastly increased combine capacity harvests would  now be very late  running well into late autumn, not the traditional harvest months of August and September.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Yes my  mothers favourite saying and remember she was the Londoner who said "Spring does"nthappen in Scotland  but  Summer arrives on the 1st of June

My mother's saying too - she's from Kent... Small world!

One from this afternoon after the cloud came over.... but see we still have ice (melting) on lochans at Monadh Mor!  reflection.thumb.jpg.c5a43b90e196115dda7 ok, so a lot of the ice has water on top of it too... but why the underlining?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
5 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Aye, current status is clearly 'taps oan' in Glasgow as you'd expect:

http://www.taps-aff.co.uk/

taps_oan.JPG

---

As for the models; not looking that mild on tonight runs; more chilly after a few short-lived mild incursions, but still Atlantic dominated.

Yes, saw that on fb haha. It's always posted.... First sunny day in April will be 'taps aff' weather 

Posted
7 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Yes, saw that on fb haha. It's always posted.... First sunny day in April will be 'taps aff' weather 

You say haha to this but it just makes my heart sink to see the weather reduced to an on/off cliche. 

A dank start to the day here - no-one seems to be out and about yet at all...

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

A dank start to the day here - no-one seems to be out and about yet at all...

They're probably unsure if it's actually day time yet. The look-up tables say the sun has risen but a look out the window at the minging mehness suggests it's still night.

Posted

Jeez... Winter? Getting pestered by mozzies now. Wretches. Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Jeez... Winter? Getting pestered by mozzies now. Wretches. Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

But they are just God"s little creatures according to my family when they pester me  and I turn the air blue. Currently 11c but breezy dull and dry

Posted

Looking pretty wild as the week goes on. Hopefully this prognosis for Glasgow is GFS overdoing the bombing development of an innocuous looking wee low that spawns mid-Atlantic on Thursday/Friday, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Met Office issuing a separate general warning for wind before today is over.

glasgow.JPG

Edited by moffatross

Posted

Holy Moly.  With that low and the jetstream directly over us...it really will be a case of "batten down the hatches".

h500slp.png

Posted

This would be a disaster for parts of Scotland I do not use that language often, a different league to Braer Storm...extremely sharp gradient, unfortunately it may well happen with PV wanting to trundle nearby, energising these storms. 

image.thumb.png.dff46358287347334778edb1image.thumb.png.455717aac569adb5b6bd5a27

Edited by Earnest Easterly*

Posted
35 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

12z still going for it on Saturday morning...h850t850eu.png

Doesn't look like the Armageddon that the 06 did though...  One thing's for sure - today's dross weather won't last long.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
4 hours ago, Earnest Easterly* said:

This would be a disaster for parts of Scotland I do not use that language often, a different league to Braer Storm...extremely sharp gradient, unfortunately it may well happen with PV wanting to trundle nearby, energising these storms. 

image.thumb.png.dff46358287347334778edb1image.thumb.png.455717aac569adb5b6bd5a27

I sincerely hope this downgrades. I'm supposed to be heading to Stirling on Friday/Saturday but if that comes to pass I won't be going anywhere!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! A nice breezy start go the day, very mild at 14c. I don't see the builder getting much work done on our roof today, or even this week. Friday looks like it'll be a bit of a gfuqhgfpjh. I can see our roof taking off and ending up in Raasay if those winds come off!

Posted

Not that upset with the models, as ever we seem to be in the relatively good side of things and so might catch some hill snow, starting Wednesday into Thursday and Saturday into Sunday probably down to low levels if it all comes down right. I am off back home to Barcelona for a week between 4th and 13th Feb (bet I will miss out on some fun!), but already looking forward to some longer days and colder times when I get back to Scotland, as it doesn't get much warmer than this. I even slept with the window open, it was roasting! 

Finally processed the data of the experiment I ran last week, comparing temps between sensors over grass and asphalt surfaces less than half a mile from each other, feel free to have a peek!

experiment.xlsx

PS, Amazingly enough there are some snow gullies left close to the top of the King's seat. Gives you an idea of the amount of snow that must have been there at one point to survive 48h plus in temps hovering at or above 10C

Edited by peborant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
24 minutes ago, peborant said:

Not that upset with the models, as ever we seem to be in the relatively good side of things and so might catch some hill snow, starting Wednesday into Thursday and Saturday into Sunday probably down to low levels if it all comes down right.

Yeah, I was just going to post something similar myself, despite the despondency on the MO thread (last night anyway, haven't dared check this morning yet) as usual the further north and higher up you are the better the outlook for colder weather. Still, there's nothing screaming "cold" on the models, even into FI.

Right, at 8am it was around 13.5C here (I say around, I glanced at the weather station, too depressing to take a proper look), quite a strong blustery wind and lots of grey cloud but no rain, yet. Tomorrow looks similarly mild, Wed & Thu look cooler, Fri a mild blip again then cooler after, if the forecast is to be believed.

Posted

Similar here - was 11C when I went to bed last night, now 12C.  At least yesterday's grey blanket is looking a bit moth-eaten this morning,

Time for caffeine.