Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Damage pretty bad in bedroom I'm afraid. More water than we thought pouring through the cheap panelling and now dripping through to our sitting room. Phoned builder, someone coming over asap to see what can be done. Still too dark outside to see what the roof is like. Big bits of wood and roof tiles scattered near the window that I can see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sorry to hear that MQ.   Been there myself in Feb.2010, only it was the weight and height of snow in our roof gulley that flooded us out.   Landed up having to replace the full roof!

Absolutely tanking it down this morning.   Don't have any wind to speak of just yet though.

Edited by Blitzen

2 hours ago, 101_North said:

The people at work who complained about the cold had better arrive in work smiling from ear to friggin' ear about this mornings wind and lashing rain misery!

It's mild like they all wanted :wallbash:

Post of the year so far @101_North 

My guess is that they'll be whining about the rain now? Probs would whine about it being too hot if we got a proper heatwave? 

Lashing rain here, so much so that one of MrsC's dogs looked out the back door, whimpered and went back to his bed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

6C, windy and varying intensities of rain. Meh!

Hoping the mild mush doesn't do too much damage to the ski resorts as I haven't managed a day out here this year yet. After Tue the models might bring enough cooler air for the hills to at least be seeing snow rather than rain, fingers crossed.

Later on, both the GFS & ECM seem to be going for a transfer of at least the bulk of the low heights currently over Greenland across to Scandinavia. Could give us a swipe on the way past. It's all 'clutching at straws' stuff at the moment though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sorry to hear that Mistyqueen.  I just canny talk about the weather today, I'm speechless. Think I'll go back to bed and get up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, GraemeB said:

Oh My God - that was the scariest drive into Glasgow this morning that I can remember.

Absolute idiots screaming down the outside lane over 70mph, hitting huge puddles then aqua-planing across 2 lanes. 

Speechless.

There's been 2 RTAs with deaths near here this month already, one of which was caused by racing at high speed.  I was overtaken by cars on the A9 at very high speed the other morning in 50m visibility fog.  People's utter stupidity when driving seems endless, and attitudes towards standards of maintenance casual, negligent and sometimes reckless.

Here's the mild pish now we've all been looking forward to.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Yep, they sure as heck got that spot on HC!  Stopped here now though thank goodness.   It just wasn't taking time to come down.  A heck of a lot of water around now though.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

When I went walkies at half 5 this morning............it was as if somebody had turned a shower nozzle on to full strength. Rain just came out of nowhere and it absolutely thumped it down. A hell of a lot milder than it has been recently too

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
56 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

There's been 2 RTAs with deaths near here this month already, one of which was caused by racing at high speed.  I was overtaken by cars on the A9 at very high speed the other morning in 50m visibility fog.  People's utter stupidity when driving seems endless, and attitudes towards standards of maintenance casual, negligent and sometimes reckless.

Here's the mild pish now we've all been looking forward to.

Same yesterday on way to Glenshee. There is a bit where the road goes single track A93. A 4*4 who was up my bumper the whole way. Decided to overtake me, and I was forced on the grass! There were 4 cars in front of me and we were all doing 50 so not crawling. He only go past me and pulled in on front of me. I gave him hell. He arrived two spaces in front of in the car park. Arrogant idiots like that should get taken off the roads. Apologies to 4*4 drivers on here but some of them are Tos*ers! Must be an ego thing....can't be beaten by a wee Clio in front of the wife.

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, November13 said:

Same yesterday on way to Glenshee. There is a bit where the road goes single track A93. A 4*4 who was up my bumper the whole way. Decided to overtake me, and I was forced on the grass! There were 4 cars in front of me and we were all doing 50 so not crawling. He only go past me and pulled in on front of me. I gave him hell. He arrived two spaces in front of in the car park. Arrogant idiots like that should get taken off the roads. Apologies to 4*4 drivers on here but some of them are Tos*ers! Must be an ego thing....can't be beaten by a wee Clio in front of the wife.

Could have been the wifey urging him on.... unlikely though!

Posted

Naw same on way back...guy tailed me cause there were 4 cars in front of me doing 45! I ended up in front when they pulled off so I sped up to get away from the bumper licker. He then tried to race me the whole way to Blairgowrie! Crazy!

Posted

Next time get the mongooseer's reg number and report him for reckless driving. The polis won't prosecute but they might 'pay him a visit' to remind him of the Highway Code.

Posted

Thankfully it has stopped raining now! There's even a touch of blue sky too! Builder came pretty pronto and did a repair job. I think he was quite surprised at the mayhem caused, he had to go looking for his ladders which had blown away! Hopefully the repair work will hold until he comes back tomorrow and that the wind and rain won't be so intense tonight. I've covered all the bedroom furniture with a huge plastic hap and mopped up the drips. I'm leaving the pots, pans and casserole dishes in place tonight just in case! Glad it's mild, but would be happier if it was just dry!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Posted

Don't say your glad it's mild Misty ...you will get a job at BBC Weather!

• Like 3

Posted

Glad things improved for you Misty

Went to bed with 100% snow cover, awoke this morning with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon rafting down the drive

Cold spell verdict.. decent for cold, very poor for snow. Managed 9 days cover (most of which fell on the 11th) 7 days with snow falling but at best we got 7-9cms out of all that. Last January we accumulated 60+cm for the month (granted over half of that fell in the last weekend of the month) numerous ice days, so did enjoy the sustained nature of the cold. I realise some on here would dance a jig with some of this (Hawesy on the Crail Riviera maybe) but for this area, pis5 poor snow wise, especially considering the length of time we were grasped firmly in the northerly flow. We managed more from December and as a few have noted, we need a proper pounding to give the ski resorts more to build on

The late January/early Feb period can be superb for snowfall though and I've had a feeling for weeks now that this winter is going to produce something special at least once, and within the second half of winter. Just have to get this mild/wet mince out the way, it's grim but there will be reward for us at the end of it I'm sure 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Thankfully it has stopped raining now! There's even a touch of blue sky too! Builder came pretty pronto and did a repair job. I think he was quite surprised at the mayhem caused, he had to go looking for his ladders which had blown away! Hopefully the repair work will hold until he comes back tomorrow and that the wind and rain won't be so intense tonight. I've covered all the bedroom furniture with a huge plastic hap and mopped up the drips. I'm leaving the pots, pans and casserole dishes in place tonight just in case! Glad it's mild, but would be happier if it was just dry!

A builder who's surprised at how windy it gets on Skye? Hmmm!

Posted

Well HC, he wasn't really familiar with my particular neck of the woods! Where the wind doth blow stronger than in other parts of the island, depending on which direction it's coming from! All calm now, betting ready for the next blast!

Posted
16 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Glad things improved for you Misty

Went to bed with 100% snow cover, awoke this morning with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon rafting down the drive

Cold spell verdict.. decent for cold, very poor for snow. Managed 9 days cover (most of which fell on the 11th) 7 days with snow falling but at best we got 7-9cms out of all that. Last January we accumulated 60+cm for the month (granted over half of that fell in the last weekend of the month) numerous ice days, so did enjoy the sustained nature of the cold. I realise some on here would dance a jig with some of this (Hawesy on the Crail Riviera maybe) but for this area, pis5 poor snow wise, especially considering the length of time we were grasped firmly in the northerly flow. We managed more from December and as a few have noted, we need a proper pounding to give the ski resorts more to build on

The late January/early Feb period can be superb for snowfall though and I've had a feeling for weeks now that this winter is going to produce something special at least once, and within the second half of winter. Just have to get this mild/wet mince out the way, it's grim but there will be reward for us at the end of it I'm sure 

The last time a northerly gave us (south side of Black Isle) deep and long-lasting snow was 10 years ago.  They don't make them like they used to.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

The last time a northerly gave us (south side of Black Isle) deep and long-lasting snow was 10 years ago.  They don't make them like they used to.

Certainly don't HC, if anything some messy North Westerlies have brought us more here in recent winters than straightforward northerlies. North Easterlies usually give the area a good dose, I'm assuming they favour your bit too?

one day in to this mildness and I'm already bored to tears....one day

Posted
12 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Certainly don't HC, if anything some messy North Westerlies have brought us more here in recent winters than straightforward northerlies. North Easterlies usually give the area a good dose, I'm assuming they favour your bit too?

one day in to this mildness and I'm already bored to tears....one day

North-easterlies and east-north-easterlies are usually too warm for us just here and in the 20 years I've been here, we've only had one dumping from that direction - but boy was it a dumping!  It was a Friday afternoon and there were folk all round who could hardly get home, it came in quick and immediately started to pile up on the roads.  Can't remember exactly which year but probably 1999 +/- a couple.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Glad i didn't buy winter tyres now... :D haha

Admittedly the journey up the road last Saturday night was dicey until the motorway.

11c in Stirling today, i was in just shorts and had a hoodie over my t-shirt, was lovely and mild.

I love the cold but if it's a choice between 3c and wet and 11c and sunny then i pick the latter everytime.

The river Nith looked ridiculously high this evening, lets hope not too much rain falls in the coming week. 

I hope February delivers (cold wise)... Time will tell

Posted
2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Glad i didn't buy winter tyres now... :D haha

Admittedly the journey up the road last Saturday night was dicey until the motorway.

11c in Stirling today, i was in just shorts and had a hoodie over my t-shirt, was lovely and mild.

I love the cold but if it's a choice between 3c and wet and 11c and sunny then i pick the latter everytime.

The river Nith looked ridiculously high this evening, lets hope not too much rain falls in the coming week. 

I hope February delivers (cold wise)... Time will tell

To be honest, with it this mild, I'd have thought you could go topless <swoons>

7C this evening, quite draughty too!

Posted

Mud has returned on a showery day but frosted ground still in sheltered areas. Currently windy and 5.5c

• Like 1