Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
32 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Can't remember seeing freezing rain indicated as widely on the radar before!

I experienced it quite a few times in Canada, including once when the air temp was -6c and the falling rain sounded like wind chimes, everything freezing on contact. Pretty to look at (especially on trees) but a nightmare for getting about in and (over there) a major problem in bringing down power lines.

We dodged an air frost again last night, min here was +0.8c, although colder at Leuchars at -2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well we have managed to squeeze in another frost here before Mr Mild makes his return. Overnight low of -3.8C, probably late yesterday evening. Currently +1.8C and looking at the models it's likely to stay that side of the zero line for the foreseeable.

Still looks like largely clear skies and calm winds but I expect the cloud and rain will not be too far away.  One slight positive, at least I won't have to be driving into the low sun in the mornings. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

Well we have managed to squeeze in another frost here before Mr Mild makes his return. Overnight low of -3.8C, probably late yesterday evening. Currently +1.8C and looking at the models it's likely to stay that side of the zero line for the foreseeable.

Still looks like largely clear skies and calm winds but I expect the cloud and rain will not be too far away.  One slight positive, at least I won't have to be driving into the low sun in the mornings. 

Just down to 0C overnight and already at 2C.  Still looks snowy out of the kitchen window but don't expect this to last beyond tomorrow.  Looks like a race to positive double digit temps early next week.

It seems like the way of winters now - long spells of mild with a very few colder spells, which is the opposite of how I remember my non-centrally-heated childhood!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Min of -1.5C in Grangemouth. Was 0.4C when I left the house at 9.20. Dry and cloudy

Posted

Still cold but now raining. Last of the cold air on it's way out soon. Absolutely no wind though

Posted
7 hours ago, Hawesy said:

I experienced it quite a few times in Canada, including once when the air temp was -6c and the falling rain sounded like wind chimes, everything freezing on contact. Pretty to look at (especially on trees) but a nightmare for getting about in and (over there) a major problem in bringing down power lines.

We dodged an air frost again last night, min here was +0.8c, although colder at Leuchars at -2c.

If we are ever at -6C and it rains I might just kill myself tbh. 

On a more cheerful note, although not particularly, the cold air is saying its adieus. It doesn't feel like we have had a proper cold air snap though, it's just been a run of coldish days since last Wednesday when we missed out on lying snow for a mere 50m. Yes, we did get the cherry on the top which was a snowy Saturday evening but that melted pretty quickly thanks to Sunday/Monday rain, also we have not had a single frost since then (Sat)  with temps hovering between 0 and 3 under 8/8 cloud cover skies. Now the Atlantic is back and we all know what that means: 7-12C, incessant rain, wind and maybe a couple of cool days in between fronts. If this is all that winter can offer up here please take me back home to 15C sunny winters and the odd flurry of snow once a year that fills us up with wintry feelings! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I remember rain at -4C, in Glenurquhart, sometime in the early noughties; the cars were covered in ice and there wasn't a snowflake to be seen!:angry:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I remember rain at -4C, in Glenurquhart, sometime in the early noughties; the cars were covered in ice and there wasn't a snowflake to be seen!:angry:

Any old timers on here will remember Xmas Day 2010. -5C and rain. I can't talk about it. 

Posted

Seems to be one thing we don't suffer on the coast, surface temps are rarely that low to refreeze rain. Or something.

I'm bored today.  Barely had a glimpse of sun since Sunday. C'mon, fkn winter, fknell, pathetic spermbank weather.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

The most frustrating freezing rain I can recall was in January 1963 - the raindrops were freezing on the window-panes!

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

The most frustrating freezing rain I can recall was in January 1963 - the raindrops were freezing on the window-panes!

You had double glazing in 1963? We were still living in a potato sack on the A6 with crisp packets for blankets!

• Like 3

Posted

Dull afternoon with light rain off and on, still not very warm currently 1.7c and and you could still see areas of ground where rain was still freezing up just before it got dark .With the lack of snow cover everything outside is supercooled and the rain has been freezing to it particularly stone dykes in sheltered areas.

Farmhouse pretty chilled too, no double glazing here.

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

You had double glazing in 1963? We were still living in a potato sack on the A6 with crisp packets for blankets!

Nyet! But we didn't have central heating, either. I can still remember asking my dad (a million times) 'how can it rain at -6'!

• Like 2

Posted

Aww you just got me all melancholic with your memories of winters long gone. I have not had the pleasure to have lived through them but still a fifth of my twenty-four winters I have spent among you and that leaves a mark. Obviously I am theoretically happy to live around the 55N paralel as my chances of seeing snow increase in theory but practice has proven otherwise. However, I missed out on the last two winters, them being two of the three that I spent in Barcelona in between Liverpool 2008-9 and Edinburgh 2012-3. 

Having said which I do remember 2008 October being very cold at the end, we even got some falling snow at sea level and then February 2009 baaam. I thought that sort of snowfall was regular at least once a year but experience says that something like that does not happen every winter, let alone in Liverpool. We got a full-on snow cover that lasted for three days, also with more than one day or two of falling snaw in the dickensian framework that drew those Georgian terraced houses. 

Edinburgh 2012-3 was very, very decent as most can imagine although with me living on Cowgate it was frustating to literally stay on the hole in the middle of town: probably the hottest and most polluted street. Not great for snow cover and so even though we managed a good few falling snow days from December into the end of March (aaah), it only really settled during the first day (with -15 uppers). Figgin' everywhere past the Meadows must have sported six or seven days of snow cover throughout the winter, more in upper Morningside and Oxgangs especially, but clearly the Old Town in itself has an interesting microclimate, from an outside point of view that is. 

Liverpool 2013-4 does not deserve a mention. That winter is dead meteorologically. So is the tree that was rooted off by the wind and smashed the school gates.

Manchester 2014-5...meh. We did get quite a few days of sleet and snow-ish but no real cover stayed for too long, I noticed a real difference with Failsworth and Oldham. There's this lad on the North West forum where I used to hang out, Thunderbolt, in Failsworth and the differences were stark. Oldham got a good 15 days of lying snow at the very least, but of course where Pedro was, by the Royal Infirmary, nothing. 

Dollar 2015-6 is by far the best although I expected more. Again, I am living in a not too great place for snow within the very Dollar (upper ends of town have had 8 days of snow cover this winter as opposed to 2 down'ere). I also expected more of this colder week or two just gone but oh well. 

Hollyoaks is on, catch with you later haha  

• Like 1

Posted

Just watched the 'kin BBC forecast for Scotland and apparently it's getting 'better'. Wind, rain, mild with a few brief sunny bits in between. You'd think they'd have learned by now that when there's high pressure bottom right of the UK, guess where the poop weather goes ?

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Good day at Glenshee. Snow came on later but turned to rain even at 3000ft! The ski centres are going to be decimated this weekend. Very thin cosmetic bases due to the mild November and December. On the lower slopes the centres will be starting all over again from the Heather by Next week.

Not expecting to be skiing again for 3 weeks at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

I can't wait THREE WEEKS!!!!!  I'll be up there at the weekend (Nevis Range) wind permitting and next weekend and the next.  I refuse to be beaten...even on heather.  As long as there is a refill before half term I can cope sliding on anything (I hope)

Posted
8 minutes ago, November13 said:

Good day at Glenshee. Snow came on later but turned to rain even at 3000ft! The ski centres are going to be decimated this weekend. Very thin cosmetic bases due to the mild November and December. On the lower slopes the centres will be starting all over again from the Heather by Next week.

Not expecting to be skiing again for 3 weeks at least.

Perhaps a bit sooner if we get some of those  polar maritime westerlies shown in some of the models especially with the still cool North Atlantic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Oh my! Roof taking a battering now! All roof tiles removed and a new membrane put on. A few tiles and lots of nails to keep it in place until all roof tiles replaced. Strong winds and horizontal rain threatening to rip the membrane off as we have rain jaffa cakesing into our bedroom. Not good to be wakenedby rain drip, drip dripping onto your head! Moved the bed already to avoid the worst of the drips, builder will have to get out here tomorrow to secure it all! Lot's of weebpots and pans out to catch the drips! At three in the morning this is not conducive to a good night's sleep!

OK, I am now typing this from the comfort of our bed settee. What started out as a wee drip turned into lots and lots of big ones! Pots, pans, bowls and basins were called up for drip catching duty and the OH brought a huge hap in from the garage to cover the bed and as much of everything else as he could. Towels are covering anything else. Call to the builder first thing to see what he can do. Sleep tight all!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
2 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

Oh my! Roof taking a battering now! All roof tiles removed and a new membrane put on. A few tiles and lots of nails to keep it in place until all roof tiles replaced. Strong winds and horizontal rain threatening to rip the membrane off as we have rain jaffa cakesing into our bedroom. Not good to be wakenedby rain drip, drip dripping onto your head! Moved the bed already to avoid the worst of the drips, builder will have to get out here tomorrow to secure it all! Lot's of weebpots and pans out to catch the drips! At three in the morning this is not conducive to a good night's sleep!

OK, I am now typing this from the comfort of our bed settee. What started out as a wee drip turned into lots and lots of big ones! Pots, pans, bowls and basins were called up for drip catching duty and the OH brought a huge hap in from the garage to cover the bed and as much of everything else as he could. Towels are covering anything else. Call to the builder first thing to see what he can do. Sleep tight all!

Oh nooooooo rotten. I hope it doesn't get much worse for you 

Posted

The people at work who complained about the cold had better arrive in work smiling from ear to friggin' ear about this mornings wind and lashing rain misery!

It's mild like they all wanted :wallbash:

• Like 6

Posted

Oh My God - that was the scariest drive into Glasgow this morning that I can remember.

Absolute idiots screaming down the outside lane over 70mph, hitting huge puddles then aqua-planing across 2 lanes. 

Speechless.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
52 minutes ago, 101_North said:

The people at work who complained about the cold had better arrive in work smiling from ear to friggin' ear about this mornings wind and lashing rain misery!

It's mild like they all wanted :wallbash:

Nah they'll still moan. It reminds me of the first half of 2013 when we had that cold spring. Endless moaning from folk I knew about it never warming up and 'WHEN WILL SPRING EVER GET HERE!!??' comments......and then come July it was 30C and sunny for days on end. It grated to hear them swing to 'AGH IT'S TOO HOT! WHEN WILL IT EVER COOL DOWN!!??'

Cretins. :wink:

• Like 5