Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Wind has died down to a mean 30mph WSWly. A few stragglers from Dundee not long into work following the bridge reopening!

As always I would be amazed to see any snow in Crail but I fancy west Fife and maybe Dundee should see a few cms.

As Ross indicated it's really 9pm-Midnight onwards before the colder air digs in to offer the chance of accumulating snow for low-lying areas.

• Like 1

Posted

Bit of a quiet lull, temps going up too, 7º atm but oh well slowly but surely cold air will dig in throughout the evening into the morning for a bit of a snawfest. If all comes right we might be in for the most extensive snow of the season. And from a pure westerly as well!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

Wind has died down to a mean 30mph WSWly. A few stragglers from Dundee not long into work following the bridge reopening!

As always I would be amazed to see any snow in Crail but I fancy west Fife and maybe Dundee should see a few cms.

As Ross indicated it's really 9pm-Midnight onwards before the colder air digs in to offer the chance of accumulating snow for low-lying areas.

Could be a test for us to see if we get snow - conditions seem to be marginal here going on experience from previous similar blasts. Our main difficulty will be getting any ppn at all once the gale dies down. It's already dwindling a bit.

Posted

BBC Seem to be really going for it with Snaw. Tonight/tomorrow could be very interesting

• Like 4

Posted

BBC Seem to be really going for it with Snaw. Tonight/tomorrow could be very interesting

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Thundersnaw for some to :)

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Could be a test for us to see if we get snow - conditions seem to be marginal here going on experience from previous similar blasts. Our main difficulty will be getting any ppn at all once the gale dies down. It's already dwindling a bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Ahhh my new garden fence has been knocked down by the storm, won't be able to get it fixed until we get some dry weather which doesn't look like happening anytime soon :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
52 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Same here, too many hills in the way of a straight westerly so very much depends on how quickly the showers can scoot over them. Currently 5.2C here but dewpoint sub zero. Not had a shower for a while so dry, sunny and breezy. 

Posted

Well it's probably not as entertaining south of the border tbh...a very heavy shower just crossed, pure water obvs but you could see how it was snow down to about 300m in the heaviest bit. 

Temp down to 4.9 school, prob high 3s in open spaces. Can't wait for this evening!!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, peborant said:

Well it's probably not as entertaining south of the border tbh...a very heavy shower just crossed, pure water obvs but you could see how it was snow down to about 300m in the heaviest bit. 

Temp down to 4.9 school, prob high 3s in open spaces. Can't wait for this evening!!

I was supposed to be taking a group of 15 for a walk in the Ochils tomorrow - have ended up cancelling due to the forecast, as much due to the possible driving conditions and delays as anything.  It'll be interesting to see how much snow falls and to what levels - will be disappointed if I've postponed the walk needlessly but felt I needed to err on the side of caution.

Posted
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Same here, too many hills in the way of a straight westerly so very much depends on how quickly the showers can scoot over them. Currently 5.2C here but dewpoint sub zero. Not had a shower for a while so dry, sunny and breezy. 

Yes, same issue here. In fact I have problems with cold showery set ups in just about any wind direction: W, NWly, Nly the precip is very unlikely to reach me. Ely and SEly there is a huge sea track so without very cold uppers there's too much modification for snow here. That leaves NEly, which can deliver here (like in 2010). I can also get snow from Atlantic systems coming into cold air but those are rare too as any wind off the sea tends to bring in coastal modification (as it did a couple of weeks back when there was snow 5 miles inland). In short I need a minor miracle!

Anyway game on for many in the next 24 hours but not sure the likes of me, Snowy Owl, Michael, Ravelin, HC etc. will be joining the party.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ I think HC will be fine to be honest, even the very far east of the Black Isle is far enough west to benefit from tonight, unless I've got his location wrong!

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthernRab said:

^ I think HC will be fine to be honest, even the very far east of the Black Isle is far enough west to benefit from tonight, unless I've got his location wrong!

You'd think so, especially looking at the radar. But we've had virtually no ppn since lunch despite the radar looking ok.  Decent test coming up in the next wee while though as there's a bit of an intensification happening out west....  Tbh, I'm not too bothered till a bit later cos it's not cold enough right now - sleet will be all we'll get till about 10 I guess.

Posted

Really heavy blustery very wet sleet just now at 3.5C, which has dropped in the shower of course.  Just keep 'em coming, Goneril.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Latest fax as of 18:00.

The increased prep on the radar moving in is of course our cold front which brings in the snaw (on its trailing edge).

Wee troughs behind it testament to the instability of the air.

20160129.1854.PPVA89.png

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Good spot, SS ! Must have been fun for someone in the Met Office drawing all those on the chart :D

The 60 hr fax looks even more nuts - although doesn't have quite the same weather associated :wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted

A few flashes seen from around Fort William and up on Rannoch Moor, not as wild as pre dawn this morning, but it's certainly having its moments of gustiness! Suspiciously quiet and almost calm outside right at the minute though...