Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Morning All.   lovely crisp morning here in Balmedie.    Not particularly cold ( +3 ) but great to see a clear starry sky for the first time in weeks.   Hopefully a cold but dry spell will help those who suffered with the floods try to start the rebuilding process. 

• Like 2

Posted

NMM looking good as well for tonight - keeping the band further north and showing more interest for much of the Central Belt before the whole lot slips south:

nmm_uk1-42-16-0.png?13-05 nmm_uk1-42-17-0.png?13-05 nmm_uk1-42-18-0.png?13-05 nmm_uk1-42-19-0.png?13-05 nmm_uk1-42-20-0.png?13-05

I still have a nagging doubt that the easterly breeze will make it more marginal in places - especially round here unfortunately. It's happened before more than once and the Met forecast as it stands this morning doesn't inspire confidence mentioning rain, sleet and drier over Lothians! 

Today:

Cold, dry start with some sunshine. Becoming cloudy this morning with showers reaching Galloway. Rain with snow on higher ground will extend to most places this afternoon. Heavier snowfall over higher parts of Dumfries and Galloway and Borders this evening. Maximum Temperature 5°C.

Tonight:

Further sleet and snow especially over Dumfries and Galloway and Borders, slowly moving away late tonight. Drier over Lothians with clear periods. Frost developing. Minimum Temperature -4°C.

Interesting evening ahead :-)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Forgot to check the overnight low but it was around -0.5C at around 8am. Slight frost and had to scrape the car windscreen, seems like an eternity since I had to do that. Even better though, it's a bright sunny morning, lots of blue sky and not too breezy.

Posted
10 minutes ago, moffatross said:

A very localised SWW for snow just issued by the Met Office. Moorfoots, Pentlands & North-Eastern side of Tweedsmuir Hills.

That's tantalisingly close to home! If nothing else it'll be a short trip tomorrow to find snow LOL

I suspect other warnings as we go through the day but the wording of the warning and the mentions of sleet, rain and high ground in the forecasts suggest this is far from the nailed on snow event for even lower ground that looked possible yesterday. 

I know I'm a negative laminate floor at times LOL

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, peborant said:

Salti how are we faring for some snow in this corner of Scotland? 

Also yes, very impressed with the temps that are showing now on MO, clear upgrade from previous days and a great discussion topic at the Weather Club that I am running later on today :)

I'm not in your corner of Scotland mate until Saturday :p

met office app showed snow for stirling today so maybe you'll get lucky....

might catch a snow shower tomorrow but other than that it looks dry

Posted
11 minutes ago, moffatross said:

A very localised SWW for snow just issued by the Met Office. Moorfoots, Pentlands & North-Eastern side of Tweedsmuir Hills.

Rubbish :(

doesn't look like low ground will see much if any...

Posted
1 minute ago, SW Saltire said:

Rubbish :(

doesn't look like low ground will see much if any...

I suspect there will be a yellow one up soon for a much larger area! Given past experience that will be the final nail for many of us LOL

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

Yellow warning out now. Basically says anything could happen...

I have a pram fully loaded and waiting by the window!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

I have a pram fully loaded and waiting by the window!

It's rush hour, warnings out... it's either going to be blizzards where a red warning should have been out or not snow at all/rain... haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Orange warning for East Southern Scotland!

Good thing is temperatures are on the slide so our prospects today are better than the last marginal events.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Just now, November13 said:

Good thing is temperatures are on the slide so our prospects today are better than the last marginal events.

Very much so - parameters look fine for snow for most of us:

16011321_1300.gif 16011318_1306.gif 

The only potential problems are for southwest Scotland where it does look a bit more marginal and also immediately at the east coast, where there might just be enough of an easterly breeze to mix in some less cold air and raise dewpoints enough to turn things slushy. The heaviest precipitation is also likely to be in a relatively small area, and wherever that is is most likely to see a good covering. At the moment that looks like the mate area around 5-6pm, heading north towards Fife by evening before sinking southwards across the Lothians through the night, but with another pulse of heavier stuff hitting Dumfriesshire and the Borders for most of the evening as well.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, November13 said:

Aye.

:diablo:

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Meanwhile, bit of disagreement on the longer term outlook between the GFS and ECM the morn.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, moffatross said:

Hopefully we'll see some tonight! -3c this morning, chilly but glorious, just love these crisp bright mornings. 

I'm hoping for some snow tonight, although not too much...

You'll forgive my bad attitude to snowfall though, I've got to get from here to Kilmacolm in the morning for a funeral. I don't mind 6 inches of snow in all other parts except the roads I need to use :D 

Posted

Cheers for the post LS.

i expect rain and maybe wet snow overnight (which i won't see haha). 

Nothing much forecast after today, seems very dry which is dissapointing... However, lots of sun hopefully and plenty harsh frost. Could be worse...

i hope we get a snowy breakdown at the very least.

Looks like the atlantic will come through at some point (ignore GFS) after a decent spell of 7-10 days of cold temperatures. GP's musings (which have been frightningly accurate thus far) seem to suggest that atlantic breakthrough will be temporary, with february looking below average temperature wise...

fingers crossed. I'm a bit underwhelmed if honest but such is life when you live beside the atlantic.

Posted
48 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Looks like the atlantic will come through at some point (ignore GFS) after a decent spell of 7-10 days of cold temperatures. GP's musings (which have been frightningly accurate thus far) seem to suggest that atlantic breakthrough will be temporary, with february looking below average temperature wise...

Does seem to be hints at that in the latest GFS runs, i.e. Atlantic breakthrough temporary rather than sustained.

e.g. 00Z op, con and ensembles:

t850Aberdeenshire.png

Then 06Z:

t850Aberdeenshire.png

Usual uncertainties though and FI territory.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Precipitation is of a very light nature.

1.0c, light rain :(

Posted
1 minute ago, scottish skier said:

Does seem to be hints at that in the latest GFS runs, i.e. Atlantic breakthrough temporary rather than sustained.

e.g. 06Z and ensembles:

t850Aberdeenshire.png

Usual uncertainties though.

Yes, idk how it will turn out.

models are usually too quick.

too quick in removing the block (cold).... Then too fast in bringing back the colder weather. No return to sustained blowtorch SWly's though.

so who knows but it would seem to be the general medium-long term trend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

hello fellow scottish weather peeps!

clouding over after a frosty morning hoping for some snow tonight but not expecting much

weather for the week ahead.... cold and sunny! :D, only downside is scraping the car every morning :wallbash:

take care everyone!

Posted
3 hours ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

The only potential problems are for southwest Scotland where it does look a bit more marginal and also immediately at the east coast, where there might just be enough of an easterly breeze to mix in some less cold air and raise dewpoints enough to turn things slushy. 

I'm away shortly to switch on the Crail snow deflector - winds are from the west here currently but I'll have them backing easterly and dragging in the mild sea air by later this afternoon. 

Been 5 years since it last failed! :D

• Like 4

Posted

Flakes of snow in the heavier bursts now, temp still quite low at 1.5c

big flakes appearing now... I still hold hope for later this evening.

however gets the heaviest percipitation will do quite well imo :)