Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wouldn't we all love this today. Shows how things can change in America, from record warmth to lots of snow & Ice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/35289704

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, snowy owl said:

Wouldn't we all love this today. Shows how things can change in America, from record warmth to lots of snow & Ice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/must_see/35289704

You're cruel!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

@101_North  - i think i'm going to emigrate lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Just watched the weather forecast on the BBC news channel and Philip Avery saying there could be some significant snow for the central belt overnight tomorrow night as a weather front comes in from the west but he did say there was a lot of uncertainty and by the look of his map, the central belt is as far north as it gets before it slips south. Something to watch

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I will honestly settle for 2 days of lying snow before the winter is out. That's how desperate things are at the moment.

I will be delighted if I am wrong and I wake up to snow in the morning!

• Like 1

Posted

Yeh saw that Bairn. This morning they weren't sure how far past Lanark it would get. If it gets here and stalls then it's game on. As long as the uppers play ball!

Posted
31 minutes ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

Just watched the weather forecast on the BBC news channel and Philip Avery saying there could be some significant snow for the central belt overnight tomorrow night as a weather front comes in from the west but he did say there was a lot of uncertainty and by the look of his map, the central belt is as far north as it gets before it slips south. Something to watch

Euro4 has it south of the Central Belt at the minute but all to play for - need it further north for sure:

16011318_1206.gif 16011400_1206.gif 16011406_1206.gif

Euro4 seems to have called today quite well. Hope it's wrong about tomorrow! Something tells me it'll not be!

NMM seems to have snow for the Central Belt though if you run the animation:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/wrfnmm.php?ech=1&mode=42&map=330

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

So, all day both weather stations were showing big, smiley sun symbols. They lied I tell you, they lied! Been raining here all day and cauld intae the bargain. Needless to say there's nae snaw on the horizon, but I'd sure love the rain to stop and just give us a few more dry days! 

After the beast that was Frank left a bit of destruction in his wake, the builder arrived today and started to strip all the old wood panelling out of the affected room. It didn't take him too long and hopefully tomorrow he'll make a start on the roof. At least if that can be made wind and watertight before the next drenching that'll be a plus. This is why I'm praying for some dry weather!

Posted

Guess it's time to look at the skies tomorrow night. Could be all or nothing. Would be nice to see some of the white stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Feeling Baltic earlier in the fierce wind. Hovered between 2-4c all day. Chilly.

However, not cold enough for snow which is frustrating tbh.

no idea how much (if any) i'll see in the coming days.... I expect to see some fall but how much to lie would be the million £ question.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift
3 hours ago, knocker said:

Rare 'hair ice' discovered in Bracklinn Woods

National park rangers have found a rare form of ice covering dozens of pieces of dead wood in woodland near Callander.

The "hair ice" is a highly unusual type of frost that needs a very particular set of conditions to form.

Suzanne Humphris, a ranger team leader for the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, discovered the ice in the Bracklinn Woods on Friday.

_87603083_cdb1dfa4-641b-42f9-b0f9-9ec18a

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280155?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Not sure how they classify rare but I see this stuff in winter when it's frosty.  I had it in my garden on Saturday and it's all over the place down by the woods/river locally.  We must have the 'very particular' conditions for it to form then...lucky me.  It is very intriguing.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, knocker said:

Rare 'hair ice' discovered in Bracklinn Woods

National park rangers have found a rare form of ice covering dozens of pieces of dead wood in woodland near Callander.

The "hair ice" is a highly unusual type of frost that needs a very particular set of conditions to form.

Suzanne Humphris, a ranger team leader for the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, discovered the ice in the Bracklinn Woods on Friday.

_87603083_cdb1dfa4-641b-42f9-b0f9-9ec18a

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280155?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

It's about as rare as dogpoop although rather prettier and less smelly.  It happens when ice gets extruded from saturated wood during lengthy cold spells - well, more than a day or so.  If you go through woodlands with dead wood lying around you'll see it every winter.  Rare my airse.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Feeling Baltic earlier in the fierce wind. Hovered between 2-4c all day. Chilly.

However, not cold enough for snow which is frustrating tbh.

no idea how much (if any) i'll see in the coming days.... I expect to see some fall but how much to lie would be the million £ question.

Oh SWS, please keep posting - I need to see your well-proportioned torso OFTEN....

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Oh SWS, please keep posting - I need to see your well-proportioned torso OFTEN....

Is that a hint to change my DP? 

Not happening. 

If not.... Just go on an app called 'grinder' mate. You'll find many well 'proportioned' torso's on there i'm sure! ;)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift
33 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

It's about as rare as dogpoop although rather prettier and less smelly.  It happens when ice gets extruded from saturated wood during lengthy cold spells - well, more than a day or so.  If you go through woodlands with dead wood lying around you'll see it every winter.  Rare my airse.

Is that not what I said?  Obviously just not as eloquently put as you, hehe:rofl: 

• Like 1

Posted

Reporting Scotland forecast said '1-2cm' possible depending on where this band ends up...

showed snow for me but i'll take that with a large pinch of salt. 

Hopefully i get at least a covering and then it will all freeze and only slowly melt over the coming days as it looks like we will see some lovely sunshine as well as very cold nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

ECM sliding with UKMO which is good news for sake of model thread ha! Bad news all the talk about snow events for England/Wales so don't know where that leaves us in snow situation ha!

Posted

Evening all,

Dreadful morning in NE Fife and the roads were worse than last week locally. Fortunately it dried up this afternoon. Max was around 6c.

Hope to see some fellow posters on this thread get some snow later tomorrow - it's always an encouraging sign when LS posts! 

Needless to say I'm not expecting any snow here but I will be interested to see if we can record a decent min during the incoming cold spell (not managed -3c since 2012/13) and any sunshine will be welcomed with open arms.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

Is that a hint to change my DP? 

Not happening. 

If not.... Just go on an app called 'grinder' mate. You'll find many well 'proportioned' torso's on there i'm sure! ;)

Lol. You spelled it wrong so you can't be a true believer.

• Like 1

Posted

I know it will change before the event but the latest Euro4 is a horror show for tomorrow night! It shows the ppn so far south it misses Scotland entirely!

16011318_1212.gif

16011400_1212.gif

16011406_1212.gif

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

ECM certainly an 'upgrade' for us in terms of cold - Freuchie updated faster on yr.no than Edinburgh for some reason so at first glance it looked as though there was a temperature gradient of about 8C between the two by next Thursday, but fortunately it's just gone from mild and wet here to cold and (potentially) snowy then. All academic of course when it's 10 days out and the temperature gradient is so sharp:

ecmt850.216.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I know it will change before the event but the latest Euro4 is a horror show for tomorrow night! It shows the ppn so far south it almost misses Scotland entirely!

NMM4 (from midday today) has a good dumping for central Scotland....

• Like 1