Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well still waiting for my first day of lying snow. Was below zero until 3pm yesterday and still it rained. I swear it's got to be minus 5 in Falkirk before it snows.

Edited by November13
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

Hang the weather, so sad the news that made this grey day so much more dreich and in homage to Mr Bowie, my thoughts on the MT

"It's big and it's bland full of tension and fear/ 
They do it over there but we don't do it here"

RIP Dave, a true hero.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Latest MetO has me for sleet turning tae snaw the morn then aw freezing up over the morn's nicht ready for another Soutra black ice carnage Wednesday morn*.

I'll take that.

--

*Was pretty surreal today. First car in a ditch I thought...maybe the ice. Then there's another further along = ok, black ice confirmed. Then there's the 4x4 getting dragged out by a recovery. Was like a scene from the Day After the Morn or something.

Increasingly support tyres with the winter stamp on them as a legal requirement over the winter.  In addition to keeping folks safe and traffic moving; think of the savings on salt and the harm to the environment it can cause being taken away. If our Nordic cousins can...

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Latest MetO has me for sleet turning tae snaw the morn then aw freezing up over the morn's nicht ready for another Soutra black ice carnage Wednesday morn*.

I'll take that.

--

*Was pretty surreal today. First car in a ditch I thought...maybe the ice. Then there's another further along = ok, black ice confirmed. Then there's the 4x4 getting dragged out by a recovery. Was like a scene from the Day After the Morn or something.

Increasingly support tyres with the winter stamp on them as a legal requirement over the winter.  In addition to keeping folks safe and traffic moving; think of the savings on salt and the harm to the environment it can cause being taken away. If our Nordic cousins can...

Couldn't agree more.  I collected a hire car today - the same as the one now awaiting repair - and it has summer tyres on.  I cannot effing believe it.  God knows what sort of terror awaits in the morning.

Hail on and off the last hour.

Edited by Hairy Celt

SEPA have issued a flood warning for the Eddleston Water in Peebles. It's been a wet night for some parts and a lot of rain to come today. 

@Ravelin are you ok up there? Not sure if the really heavy rain has been over you but it looks like it's one hell of a morning up your way. 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

No end to the rain it appears! Miserable morning after heavy overnight rain. Really had enough of it.......

25 minutes ago, 101_North said:

No end to the rain it appears! Miserable morning after heavy overnight rain. Really had enough of it.......

It's going to be a foul day in places, there's loads more rain to come particularly in the east. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Absolutely hosing it down here - 2.6c/2.2c/N.

The snow risk increases dramatically as the day goes on, fingers crossed there's still some precip around. There's also a massive risk of very icy conditions by tomorrow morning particularly for those areas getting hosed down again today. 

Posted

Cannot help but feel this is a massive waste of ppn, you'll see how we're effin bone dry when snow could be falling!!! 

15mm already and temp falling slighty to 3.5C, so as soon as I step outta the house it will feel FREEZING and WET. That's the UK for you. Also it's that fateful time of the year when we are the ONLY place in the world above 55ºN where there isn't some extensive snow cover. The f____ing marvels of the Gulf Stream I guess...

Looking forward to some clear skies tonight and a bit of frost to be honest! Have a good day everyone. 

• Like 1

Posted

Rain turning increasingly wintry now. Just back from the school run and it was heavy sleet bordering on wet snow.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Rain turning increasingly wintry now. Just back from the school run and it was heavy sleet bordering on wet snow.

Don't say it's a surprise @101_North :D Some of the precip charts for later have heavy snow for parts of the Edinburgh/Lothians/Borders, fingers crossed they are right and the drier looking Euro4 is wrong. 

@peborant you got that right about the waste of PPN. Rain will always make it to your location, snow senses a slight rise in elevation (roughly 15 metres) and gives up :rofl: 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
55 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Don't say it's a surprise @101_North :D Some of the precip charts for later have heavy snow for parts of the Edinburgh/Lothians/Borders, fingers crossed they are right and the drier looking Euro4 is wrong. 

Fingers crossed Catch! Still heavy sleet here - shows the potential for later hopefully!

Posted

Just rather wet here..........................for now

Edited by NUT

Posted

Left Peebles this morning in torrential rain, got to Eddleston and the sleet started which turned to heavy snow and Leadburn was all white. Now here just outside Penicuik, it's torrential rain again.  Dull, dreicht, miserable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldly

over half a centimetre fell here this morning so far, sick fed up walking the dog in this weather, hurry up cold!!

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 10.39.02.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

rain, i don't think we can take much more!

Roads are waterlogged again!

maybe some snow later, but i'm not holding my breath.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

SEPA have issued a flood warning for the Eddleston Water in Peebles. It's been a wet night for some parts and a lot of rain to come today. 

@Ravelin are you ok up there? Not sure if the really heavy rain has been over you but it looks like it's one hell of a morning up your way. 

Was phishing it down earlier (and probably overnight) but hasn't seemed too bad for the last couple of hours. Roads weren't too bad this morning ,best they've been for several days in fact. River level was well down so I don't think the rain was heavy or sustained enough to cause flooding from that. Any rain at all is unwelcome though, the ground is so sodden it's got no capacity left to soak anything up.

Posted

Rain / sleet finally off here - for a while anyway! Let's see what later on brings. If it's not snow it can stay well away!!!!!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted

Rare 'hair ice' discovered in Bracklinn Woods

National park rangers have found a rare form of ice covering dozens of pieces of dead wood in woodland near Callander.

The "hair ice" is a highly unusual type of frost that needs a very particular set of conditions to form.

Suzanne Humphris, a ranger team leader for the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, discovered the ice in the Bracklinn Woods on Friday.

_87603083_cdb1dfa4-641b-42f9-b0f9-9ec18a

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280155?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Rare 'hair ice' discovered in Bracklinn Woods

National park rangers have found a rare form of ice covering dozens of pieces of dead wood in woodland near Callander.

The "hair ice" is a highly unusual type of frost that needs a very particular set of conditions to form.

Suzanne Humphris, a ranger team leader for the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, discovered the ice in the Bracklinn Woods on Friday.

_87603083_cdb1dfa4-641b-42f9-b0f9-9ec18a

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-35280155?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_weather&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Some also been found on the 9th of January in the woods https://twitter.com/lisawood81  just 3 miles to the west of me. Saw the photos on twitter. We have had a lot of  misty mornings recently where the ground has frozen but the air temperature is above freezing making walking anywhere interesting

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I've heard about this  Knocker but have never actually seen it.  Would love to see it for real.  

Posted

Nothing but rain and temps are far too high at the moment. Not expecting much other than snow showers later in the week. This has been my worst winter since 1988- 1989 I think when I were a lad.