Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Loved lorenzo drinking passionate post the other night....clearly worked hard on that forecast...been some great reading 

Meanwhile I'm in Dundee and absolutely chucking it down with rain 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Raining here In Falkirk. Had some wet snow early evening last night but it never settled. Just cold wet grey and really yuk at the moment.

Still it could be much worse and I hope all of you who've been affected by the floods are getting some respite.

Posted

Clouded over here now. Await the precip... from the linked article to Monbiot from Lorenzo, I am expecting a plague of frogs to descend from the skies... after what we've had who knows? :D

Higher areas of the city have held onto the snow cover, although it is patchy - still impressive though given how wet it's been. 

Posted

A wet afternoon in Crail, 4.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cold rain here. 2C. 

I read somewhere that the Express sales go up by up to 10% when they have a dramatic weather headline on the front page. There's the reason for the regular headlines which invariably are wrong! Maybe once it will happen hopefully.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Rain here - really can't complain given Narnia pics from last night. Plenty on the models to keep us entertained in the meanwhile, January turning into a fascinating month.

Interestingly found this last night when checking analogs and looking at what years featured here

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/9/q/Snow_Survey_of_Great_Britain__1957-58.pdf

Worth a read wrt to NE flooding.

500hgt_comp_sup610.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Peeps! Nae snaw, nae rain, nice and cauld and fresh. Temp dropped to -2c last night, now up to 2c with light cloud cover. Give me this weather any day over a howling gale and horizontal rain and I'll be very happy!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

+01/+00 & mizzle. Like drizzle, but even smaller :D

Sounds like Scotch Mist?:D

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, snowidea said:

So what are our immediate chances of some snow from the next band of precipitation? It sure looks more beefy than the two gone but quite disappointed about not even getting some lying snow on top of the Ochils despite us being under 4C all day so not expecting a lot :(

• Like 3

Posted

Not managed above -2.6c today, it's been snowing for the last wee while, nothing mental but turning white

image.thumb.jpg.bf1d366cc30be282e582da0d

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Gosh, how lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Snowing lightly here with a light covering all over. Didn't get above freezing today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

literally the slowest, sparsest snow shower going on at the moment with the tiniest flakes possible.  It's a wee bit magical looking if I'm being honest - that's as flowery as I can force myself to make it, I can't do ramping/ talking up/ selling/ slavering pish:sorry:

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Snowing lightly here with a light covering all over. Didn't get above freezing today.

yes not got above  freezing here to but starting to come up now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Latest MetO long term.

UK Outlook for Thursday 14 Jan 2016 to Saturday 23 Jan 2016:

A cold spell is expected to be underway at the start of this period which will most likely last through to the start of the following week. The weather will tend to vary day to day, with some dry and sunny periods, but also wintry showers which will occasionally merge to give longer spells of rain, sleet and snow. Snow will fall to low levels at times, this most likely in the north. Temperatures will be below average, with widespread overnight frosts as well as a risk of icy surfaces. Towards the end of the period it seems most probable that less cold weather will return as Atlantic weather systems try to move across the country bringing strong winds and outbreaks of rain to many areas.

Better than a kick in the teeth. Actual normal winter weather.

Rain earlier melted most of my snaw. Currently T = 1.4 °C / DP = 0.7 °C.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

yes not got above  freezing here to but starting to come up now

Aye likely rain tonight. Still, fair few degrees colder than forecast!

Posted

A few pix from Scotland's highest villages on the Lowther Hills Ski Club nursery slopes at Leadhills near the South Lanarkshire/Dumfries & Galloway border this morning. Our annual membership costs less than 2 hours at Braehead XScape, and we saw lots of happy  faces today. Memberships still available for the season. Chucked down with snow early afternoon, raining now, but snow returning tomorrow :) http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/join

23908607959_91275ee6ae_h.jpg 23980852240_6fb27ebcf6_h.jpg 24193915601_eb30a56049_h.jpg

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 9

Posted

We've just had a fairly heavy shower thanks to the northernmost band of precipitation of the 3rd band of this 'cold low'. Albeit it was water there was a wintry aspect, I could see ice crystals on my coat so definitely some evaporative cooling might happen in a bit when the most hearty bit is on top of us. It'd be nice to record the first falling snow of the year! 

Currently 4.3 academy, 3.2 sensor. 

• Like 1

Posted

Had time for a walk round the Carmichael estate near Lanark this morning - to be honest the snow cover looked like it was probably a bit deeper on the other (west) side of the M74 but there was plenty of wintry scenery to enjoy - see photos below.  By lunchtime the trees were dripping but the temperature dropped back to about 0.5C on the way back up the M74 with sleet and wet snow when the showers intensified.  The shallow snow cover in Motherwell was nice and crisp this morning but is now decimated, soggy and on its last legs.

P1000098_zps9mcu1fdq.jpg

P1000100_zpso4xv3lru.jpg

• Like 9