Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just rain showers here this morning and with the temp at 5.1c it's not likely to snow. In fact last night's rain washed away the white covering on the local hills too. River is up a good bit again this morning but not to worrying levels, responding very quickly because everything is saturated. 

Looking forward to a cold period, even a snow less one would be better than this. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just checked my weather station and it has recorded 164mm of rain so far this month, which is more than twice the monthly average in just the first 10 days. 

• Like 2

Posted

Where do you access charts that show forecasts for wet bulb temperature, dew points? Still pouring here. This upcoming "cold spell" looks to be nothing remarkable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Pretty drynhere today :)

was POURING all of last night when i was out in the town. Luckily the drink made it bearable :p

still

chilly at 5c. I'm hoping the end of the week delivers...

a epitome of a classic MOD winter cold hunt. Although, this one has been even more protracted and confusing than normal.

euphoria and depression being felt every 24 hours seemingly! Seems like it's very marginal next week but we're in with a shot, particularly you guys with elevation and being further north. Up in Stirling from next Saturday so i might actually see what an easterly can deliver over the next 8 weeks...

Posted
17 minutes ago, Frozen Britain said:

Where do you access charts that show forecasts for wet bulb temperature, dew points? Still pouring here. This upcoming "cold spell" looks to be nothing remarkable.

Browse through the various models at meteociel, weatheronline and no doubt here too.

The upcoming cold spell was never forecast to be remarkable. A few folk that caught up in the model watching fervour got predictably excited when ECM & GFS pumped out some cold charts at long range, told their friends and families that an ice age was imminent, then got disappointed when it was clear that the Met Office were right (as usual) all along. Happens every winter :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, moffatross said:

The upcoming cold spell was never forecast to be remarkable. A few folk that caught up in the model watching fervour got predictably excited when ECM & GFS pumped out some cold charts at long range, told their friends and families that an ice age was imminent, then got disappointed when it was clear that the Met Office were right (as usual) all along. Happens every winter :)

Ha. I've had my fingers burned and veracity doubted too many times to fall for that. I might say it's going to get a bit colder, but to predict snow is asking for trouble.

Dry here so far today but just starting to get a bit drizzly now. No bloody snow still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
2 hours ago, Nouska said:

Thanks guys - the person who really deserves the credit is  @SylvainTV  for providing all the useful features on Meteociel.

PS - how do I make that a blue mouseover link like you have done; he's a member on here.

@Nouska like you have done just type @ then the persons name - @SylvainTV Not sure why it didn't work above.

Trick is to let the drop down list appear I think after typing @ then first letters of member's name.

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely vile looking outside right now with driving rain. Don't look very warm either

Posted

FB just offered this up in  my feed.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/633273/Snow-weather-uk-severe-alert-forecast-south-snowbomb

Snowbomb, oh by jebus, how many levels of pish in that ? Freakin' exactaweather rent-a-quote, slowing gulf stream, worst winter since 1960 something, and all starting on Tuesday apparently when the heavy sleet shower arrives in the south. Sadly, it'll be believed by many.

Edited by moffatross

Posted

So here we have had a min. temp in the morning of 1.3 in the morning, shortly before a heavy sleet fell but that was it, well the hills had the slightest of coverings from 150m. Throughout the day temps have gone up to about 3C, now we are at 2.7 on the rooftop so probably its 2C real and theres a bit of ppn around but nothing major still. 

Went on a wee walk before towards Whitewisp Hill, featured in pic 1. When I left Castle Road at 170m there was a thick fog hanging around and so I got to the crossroads that either takes you to nowhere, and to Glen Devon following two different ways in 3. Snow cover started shortly before there and was patchy in nature, as you can see not even the top of the hills looks pastied in any case. I eventually came out of the cloud, sensor read 0.8 at 330m high and a healthier snow cover. On coming back beautiful landscapes amidst the clouds, with the King's Seat (645m) and Dollar Hill as protagonists. 

20160110_131342.jpg

20160110_142054.jpg

20160110_142321.jpg

20160110_143941.jpg

20160110_143814.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Fairly heavy wet snow on here again with big flakes. No chance of settling but getting slushy on the car!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
4 hours ago, edo said:

Traffic Scotland tweeting about heavy snow in Fife area

Dunno where in Fife Edo? Certainly no here and ahm in one o' the highest parts!

The earlier light snaw didnae last long and what had fallen even up oan the hills disappeared quickly.

The past couple of hours has given some wet sleety pi5h but nae real snaw.

Big Innes

Posted
2 hours ago, moffatross said:

Browse through the various models at meteociel, weatheronline and no doubt here too.

Largely true but i think the pendulum has swung back the other way yesterday and today. 

As long as the GFS is wrong then we should see at least a few days of pretty cold weather. Hopefully some snow too.

we had almost cross model agreement on a cold spell, then reduced to a mere snap of a couple day and now in the balance again. Only in the coming days will we start to hit the dates when the real cold was/is predicted to arrive.

i also think the met office have shifted their stance a bit towards cold too however they remain cautious as always...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sleety rain just dying out here at least temporarily. 2.7C.

Don't fancy a UK high following the wintry snap much with cold surface temps and inversions, especially if it sinks SE. Hopefully one of the other options being muted on the MT comes off.

edit. Dry didn't last long. Heavy sleety rain back on.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Yesterday evenings snow cover was washed away by a sleety rainy mess in the early hours. Looking at the temps for the next few days that's any mild-pishyness out the way though. Nice bit fog for the last few hours  but stunningly mundane Sunday weather here today, currently 1C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Dunno where in Fife Edo? Certainly no here and ahm in one o' the highest parts!

The earlier light snaw didnae last long and what had fallen even up oan the hills disappeared quickly.

The past couple of hours has given some wet sleety pi5h but nae real snaw.

Big Innes

Yup I looked at every webcam and nothing...the traffic sign outside Luncarty warned heavy snow...I can assure you there is none....someone's taking the pee one five five 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Lashing rain again here and bitter disappointment at the models.

To make matters worse doing dryathalon - could things get any worse.

cmon the easterly !! You can do it.

Posted

Disgusting day again, saw some snow on M73 heading to the week, but nothing here but persistent rain. Barely got above freezing as well. Hope next week brings a little more promise. 

Posted

Looks like more flooding in Kilmarnock now...  not surprised the river Irvine has burst it's banks as the water was pushing out of the drains in East Kilbride earlier.

I drove up the M74 this morning,  7c in carslisle and by the time we were at 800ft it was torrential sleet with recent snow covering some of the road - ploughs out doing a good job to get 3 lane's open but treacherous driving conditions with the driving sleet and melting snow. It did snow briefly but back to rain as we headed back down.

Not particularly bothered about the models - enough years on here has taught me not to bother unless it's only 24hrs away!  They'll flip back to extreme cold in no time. 

Edited by Ross B

Posted

Get ready for snowmageddon according to the express :)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/632611/UK-Weather-Snow-snowbomb-red-alert-UK-coldest-winter-58-years

They say this below one of their pics, I mean cummon:

SNOW: From next week the weather is set to get much colder threatening to reach levels of 1962

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The pub run has backtracked and looking to prolong this upcoming cold spell, the model forum is buzzing once again.:yahoo:

Posted

Well I thought we had escaped any bad weather effects here after a fine calm,bright day with a maximum of 3c, only to discover this evening that water has overflowed the valley gutter in the house and soaked an upstairs bedroom cupboard. Family  spent the evening emptying contents and laying them out to dry.

Must admit that the paths and roads were very clean this morning and 4 and 6 inch tile drains were running full when I went round the farm this morning. There must have been some torrential rain overnight Saturday into Sunday. Currently broken cloud and 1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
12 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

The pub run has backtracked and looking to prolong this upcoming cold spell, the model forum is buzzing once again.:yahoo:

I don't know how they can live in there with the pendulum constantly swinging between ramping and backtracking. It's enough to give anyone grey hairs!

• Like 2

Posted
50 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

I don't know how they can live in there with the pendulum constantly swinging between ramping and backtracking. It's enough to give anyone grey hairs!

Bunch of masochists... Myself included! :)