Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Painfully slow moving ppn band still hanging on...Will it make it?! 

-1.6 sensor 

0.9 rooftop 

Surprisingly enough skies have cleared despite the fact that it's raining/snowing not far at all from here. Well I guess they will cover up if they have to. 

• Like 2

Posted

Started as rain..............Briefly turned to sleet and now back to rain and now trying to turn sleety again

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 6/1/2016 at 2:56 PM, Stormeh said:

:D:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Sorry about above post, was replying to something much earlier in thread, decided not to and now can't remove video for some reason.

Anyway snowing wetly in falkirk.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever is happening but partial to a snow drift

We're doomed says the MT, I don't believe they do this to themselves every winter. I hope some of them don't miss the chemist tonight for their prescriptions or there won't be enough toys left on the planet to satiate their bottom lip drops.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ Seems my Day After Tomorrow forecast for drama and despair today have come to fruition - I accept payments through Paypal. 

I'm keeping an open mind as to our possibilities as we head through January, certainly the reliable time frame up to about Tuesday has us on the cusp of benefiting from some nice cold air from the north which would lead to some decent enough snowfalls.  

After that, who knows? But it's a bit absurd to get upset that we won't necessarily be getting something a computer has said we might be. 

• Like 4

Posted

About 1.5 to 2 inches of snow here.  Much better than expected!  20160108_183425.thumb.jpg.fbb35d94ec7a69

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

This is the morn's ECM ensembles and 00Z ops for it and the GFS.

Then we have the GFS ensembles with the 06Z op.

I know the ops are higher res, but....

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

t850Aberdeenshire.png

Well away from means with a hell of a lot of scatter in members past 5 days from now.

Outlook seems decent to me for cold in immeadiate term. I don't really want -15 and my screenwash tubes freezing etc. -5's cold enough for me.

Just less rain, frosty, sunny mornings and  some decent falls of snaw like today would be fine.

Jeez, I just got 7-8 cm from what looks like -3 uppers and 1 C air temp. Hanging around too.

All tae play for.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
5 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Spare me.... they're talking about a Beasterly appearing in FI on latest ECM run.

Hang onto your hats, here we go again............... :D 

The problem is that up here well beyond the 'far, far north of the UK', we can get snow in many places from all sorts of set-ups. Hardly baltic the day with uppers marginal at best and the borders got a decent dump. Hundreds of miles south you do need a special set-up to give even half of what I got this afteroon. A beasterly is about the only sure thing.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The Beast From the East is coming; it might be the last week of Jan/first week of Feb, but it's coming. Ah tell ye - it's coming!:yahoo::oops:

• Like 4

Posted

Forgetting the fantasy island easterly, the ECM looks pretty good for us the next 9 days. The best way of interpreting it (without access to the paid suite) is to look at the yr.no output which kindly models the ECM for any location in much the same way as xcweather.co.uk does for the GFS. The ECM updates on yr.no around 7.45 pm and I'm quite looking forward to what it models for Moffat this evening :-)

E.g. for Moffat

GFShttp://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/moffat (currently GFS 12Z)

ECMhttp://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Moffat/long.html (currently ECM 0Z)

Edited by moffatross

Posted

Absolutely... I oft wonder whether their posts about Beasterlys, failed cold spells etc etc are based on their analysis of the whole of the UK, or just their particular part of our sceptred isle!      

Naive of me I know!!! :nea:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was in Inverness when the mother-of-all-Beasterlies occurred, in 1991...A half-dozen snowflakes blowing in the wind. Bob Dylan couldn't have done it better!:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

^ Scotland seems to have become independent as an entity in weather discussion on here some time around 2008...and there wasn't even a referendum!

edit: oh and it's -5'C here.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Just had my 21 month old daughter out sledging for the first time, it was really great to see her wee face full of smiles as we went down the hill.

This was totally unexpected here, I thought it would rain. I wonder what next week has in store? :)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
10 minutes ago, moffatross said:

Experimenting with the flash on the camera just as the snow started falling in Moffat today. Lens stopped down so that everything near and far was in focus, blowing my breath into the scene to get a cloud, the 50 pence sized snowflakes that SW referred to down in Dumfries, frozen in time, and my wee 60+ mpg diesel Fiesta, just beginning to get a winter coat again :-)

1076hk9.jpg

That's one mad picture, love it!

Not quite an ice day on the beach here but only just missed it.  Sounds like everywhere else within 50 miles has been <0 all day.  Down to -3.5C now.  A clear blue sky and some iciness this morning, the first time this winter I've had the pleasure of driving on ice and then walking through the hoar frost on vegetation that goes sort of ksshhh ksshhh as you go.

I spotted my winter tyres are down to about 4mm left - the Q is, whether to go with manufacturer's recommended change at 4mm or leave them a bit longer.... Can't say I've noticed any deterioration yet - and yes, I have provoked them! That's the answer I guess - keep prodding till they start to give? However, I wouldn't fancy my chances on thick snow with these... So it comes down to, will it, won't it?

This was a misty Glenmoriston this morning with west Affric hills behind.  Snow line about 650m at a guess. 569012bce7ce7_glenmoristontoday.thumb.jp

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 9