Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
1 minute ago, doctormog said:

It's more of a surprise to me that it's snowing here in Aberdeen than a bit inland. Fingers crossed it is better for the flooding than more rain would be.

Indeed evaporative cooling at its best.though as the front passes through temps will rise 

Posted

Euro4 taking the snow risk tomorrow much further south although still an outside chance for some light snow later for the Lothians:

16010812_0718.gif

16010818_0718.gif

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Seeing as most of the population over 60 and lots of folk over 40 don't use Twitter or Facebook, it seems pretty poor that those are the media used for getting info out to people.  My mother is reasonably ok with using the internet but at 85 she's not going to start Twitter or Facebook.  Neither am I for that matter!

A twitter list for weather here - no need for an account or anything just view the page whenever or bookmark for future viewing: https://twitter.com/mellowmark/lists/weather 

On a mobile/tablet you might have to select "get desktop version" to view it though? (I have to anyway). 

Of course if you do have a twitter account, you can set up your own 'list' and choose exactly who is in it.  Lists is the only way I have found to make good use of twitter as too many people I follow tweeting too much stuff on all sorts of subjects = way too much info. So I just made lists categorised by subject/interest and basically ignore all the other people I follow. :)  If someone on a list is not contributing stuff of interest or is tweeting too often then I just prune them off the list.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Crazy here tonight, after 42.5mm of rain. Well the Don did it's thing and I'm not long in from sandbagging houses long our street, futile in many cases. 

Crap picture but this was our street at 2:40am,my house on the right. 

IMG_20160108_024053497.thumb.jpg.dece921

Water seems now to be static or even receding a bit so I think we're ok, but it was a close run thing. A matter of a few feet horizontally and a few inches vertically. No one this end of the street seriously thought the water could ever get up this far. We were wrong. 

Sadly those nearer the river, well a few must have water in thier houses. It was at least knee deep in the street in places. Rose so quickly there was little that could be done. 

Gonna try to catch some sleep now, and survey the carnage in the morning. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Models not looking good for a sustained cold spell now, we're still on for some decent snow chances over the next week up here though. I suppose the models can flip back to extreme winter but I'll not hold my breath, been doing this too long to get suckered in until about +3hrs out :D 

Posted

In relation to the Traffic Scotland twitter account - maybe if "Bex" spent less time "emojifying" their tweets, she'd be able to get across more traffic news.

:):nonono::diablo::cold::hi::snowman-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Models not looking good for a sustained cold spell now, we're still on for some decent snow chances over the next week up here though. I suppose the models can flip back to extreme winter but I'll not hold my breath, been doing this too long to get suckered in until about +3hrs out :D 

So is that winter over then? :)

---

T = -0.8 °C / DP = -2.5 °C

Was hoping for a drive in the snaw. Looks like I'll just have to keep an eye on it on the Soutra webcam at work.

Posted

Looking outside this morning you'd think last night had never happened. Not sure what it's like further down the street though. Far too close for comfort for us but we got away with it. Will find out later how bad others fared. 

Don't care what the models show this morning, for once. 

P. S.  All the watermill have got to my weather station as according to it it's 19.7C.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Good to hear you dodged a bullet there Ravelin.

Hopefully not to much damage to your neighbour's properties.

I recall your pics of where the water was before and the huge volumes of water needed to bring it higher. It's nuts that came about.

That band of rain (or snow it seems?) is still over Peterhead, although finally fading now.

---

EDIT

Temperature actually dropping as the sun is coming up. Was 0.2 C when I got out of the scratcher just before 7:00, now -1.0 C. Could be a bit icy the morn as while this area has largely escaped serious flooding, it's still soaking wet with big puddles and wee temporary burns on roads.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Great I can finally post on here after weeks of misery.

Nice to see winter returning, and some snow already in the North East. Hope that band in the borders can deliver some white stuff to the rest of us. Hoping to get a ski day off work next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

So is that winter over then? :)

---

T = -0.8 °C / DP = -2.5 °C

Was hoping for a drive in the snaw. Looks like I'll just have to keep an eye on it on the Soutra webcam at work.

Not only is winter over, life itself is over, no point going on with it. Regardless of our decent snow chances this week, missing out on the biggest snowy spell since 2010-1963-1947 is far more of a disaster than folks getting their houses destroyed by flooding. It's a horrible thing to happen to people so hopefully it hasn't happened to too many people :( 

Posted

I suppose until your own house gets flooded you don't appreciate the disruption and ruin it causes to peoples lives. I genuinely feel sorry for these folks putting up with that kind of misery. Hope things have finally calmed down rain wise.

Posted

-2c when I left for work this morning. Lots of standing water on the roads made for a tricky drive, but it's much better than battling through the rain. My heart goes out to all those suffering flooding again. Having seen it happen in my own town last week, it's so devastating and destructive, here's hoping for a long dry spell and perhaps a bit of the white stuff. 

Posted

Some lovely serene views over Loch Kemnay this morning (previously known as the river Don), with snowy hills in the background. 

IMG_20160108_084533006_HDR.thumb.jpg.b97

IMG_20160108_084517417.thumb.jpg.b33f602

Difficult to belive the chaos it caused last night. A few pics of the aftermath... 

IMG_20160108_084144038.thumb.jpg.efcab2d

IMG_20160108_084031945_HDR.thumb.jpg.c4b

IMG_20160108_090333729.thumb.jpg.4a307c6

IMG_20160108_090322336.thumb.jpg.32ebc70

• Like 9

I am sorry to all my fellow Borders but I've killed our snow chances for today by putting out a forecast on my FB page promising snow today. 

Posted

It's raining in Dumfriesshire! Not a good start!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
12 minutes ago, November13 said:

It's raining in Dumfriesshire! Not a good start!

Well kinda.....

got down to -2.4c early hours.

went out to my car at 10am and there was large frozen flakes of snow stuck to the car with a thin layer of snow when i moved the window wipers.

was very lightly raining and temp of 1c.

sleet mixed in.

percipitation is heavier now so big wet flakes are falling, almost snowing i'd say haha. 90% of droplets are now flakes but it's far too wet to lie.

somewhere with height will do much better... Shame the band is so sporadic and light. It would have snowed properly had it been heavier :(

CMD - i wouldn't despair.

Huge model disagreement. 

A northerly and turn to colder conditions is all but assured.

seems messier than we'd like tbh though and perhaps not that long lasting. Still, we have large hits to the vortex forecast, a good chance of a SSW (hinted at by the met office)

GP, Tamara et al argue seasonal wavelengths will guard against a West based - NAO setting up as we progress through the month and into February even if we lose this spell to that scenario....

so i'm not worried. Gone is 8-12c...

hello - my first proper snowfall that i'm witnessing (although not lying)

temp falling, was 1.2c, now 0.8c and wet snow falling :)

edit: properly snowing now. All snow. Nice to look at if nothing else...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Models not looking good for a sustained cold spell now, we're still on for some decent snow chances over the next week up here though

We are all weather nerds here but ironically, as ever, the above only surprises a particularly naive subset of us. I can see how those that don't appreciate the vagaries of NWP getting mesmerised by the flames of the model output ramping fire but I always wonder at the trust they put in the voodoo types who appear to have a bit more knowledge, and the mother of all wintry spells they see in its flames year after year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

CMD - i wouldn't despair.

Sorry, I had a big bowl of Sarcastopops for my breakfast. I am not really despairing at all, to me the models look pretty good. Snow chances aplenty plus who really wants -15C? I want snow, couldn't care less if the uppers aren't easterly beasterly -20C :) 

Posted
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Sorry, I had a big bowl of Sarcastopops for my breakfast. I am not really despairing at all, to me the models look pretty good. Snow chances aplenty plus who really wants -15C? I want snow, couldn't care less if the uppers aren't easterly beasterly -20C :) 

Completely agree :) given me 22/23rd of March 2013 anyday. Not over Dec 2010 (although we only ever had a few inches here) but over ever other spell in my life (excluding 95 and 96 as apparently they were v snowy here.

now: 0.2c and still snowing 

so temp down 1c 

• Like 1

Posted

Temp has hit the magical 0c mark which equals 50p snowflakes

(Video doesn't do it justice but at least it verifies i'm not lying haha) 

IMG_0023.MOV

much heavier than that now. Starting to lie :)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 2

Posted

Hopefully the last of the rain ridden assault of our friends in the north east, has a cold spell ever felt so welcome on here? (Snow lust aside) As long as it doesn't turn in to a communal ice rink hell for those affected the dryness will be great

-2c when I left this morn, looking forward to whatever is coming our way, not going to hyperventilate and search for some diazepam a la the Model Thread

Current snow line is gloriously evident on Wyvis today against a crisp blue sky seen from Inverness, where it's 1cimage.thumb.jpg.f094c96c057d34549231b861

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 2

Posted

IMG_0025.MOV

IMG_0025.MOV

Edited by SW Saltire